Bullet suggestions for .40

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

hat creek

Bullet suggestions for .40

Post by hat creek »

Well, I received my Shiloh last Sunday, almost 13 months to the day I placed the order. Excited? Oh yeah...it's a beauty, a #3 in .40-65. The configuration of the rifle is very similar to one recommended by someone that posts here on ocassion. I thank him for his input (MLV) and am anticipating putting some rounds through it this weekend.

My question is on choosing bullet designs for the .40-65. I am well aware that each rifle will have particular likes and dislikes, but I am hoping to eliminate some choices as a response to what some shooters have already tried. What bullets have you had success with, molds you might recommend...I sure appreciate the input.
rdnck

40-65 bullet

Post by rdnck »

Hat Creek--Don't go out and buy a sack full of molds for your Shiloh 40-65 without being aware of ONE THING. Shiloh recommends a bullet .408 in diameter, and they aren't kidding. Most commercial bullets will run .410 to .412, as will many of the custom ones, unless you specify the diameter.

Bullets .410 to .412 will cause you chambering problems. Either get your molds made to cast a bullet at .408--we went this route--or get a .408 sizing die. Your loaded round needs to be no larger than .430 at the case mouth. Ours run .428 with Remington cases. You have to adjust your dies carefully to achieve this, but once accomplished, everything works like a charm. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Capt Henry

Post by Capt Henry »

Hat Creek
While I am realitively new to the sport I have followed advise given to me and got a Paul Jones mould, I am using the Creedmoor 40001 bullet, loading as cast. It shoots head and shoulders above some of the others I bought. If you call them and tell them what you are using it for and what rifle they will custom make it to the specs the rifle demands, at least they did for me.
They are not cheap but I feel worth the money in the long run, this is just my opinion and what worked for me.

RollandH

Assault is a behavior, not a device
#1 Sporter 45-70, semi-fancy wood, 30 inch barrel, shotgun butt with traditional steel butt plate. pewter tip. (buffler thumper)
Rickd

Post by Rickd »

Hat Creek. Ditto on the PJ Creedmore recommendation. My rifle is being built in March, and I've ordered the mould from PJ as a friend who shoots a 40-65 (and three other shooters) have all recommended it from experience. Good shootin.
hat creek

Post by hat creek »

Thanks for the input guys. I am casting a Lyman Snover bullet right now in the 412 gr. range, I have been sizing it to .408 as recommended and will try it out this weekend behind 51 grains of FFG. I have seriously considered the PJ mold and the Creedmore looks about right. Guess I'll have to order one and try it out.