Paper patch info

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Standing Elk

Paper patch info

Post by Standing Elk »

Ok, I am going to give some PP bullets a try in my Shiloh 1874 50-90. I have used 675 grain grease groove bullets since I got the rifle about 10 years ago. The accuracy is ok but now I have gotten curious about what improvement I might see with PP bullets. I am well aware of the importance of having the correct diameter for the bore size so that should not be a issue in my case. My initial intentions are to buy some 650 grain PP bullets, paper patch material and a template from Buffalo Arms in order to do some tests. Now for a couple questions.
1. What is the best way to lube. I have read that after inserting an over the powder wad you can pour a measured amount of melted SPG in on top of the wad. If so how much? and would you want to have already compressed the powder the desired amount, which in my case has always been .100"
2. I am assuming that to seat the bullet out as far as possible without compromising cambering would be optimal. Is this correct?
3. what is the best way to deal with the paper that protrudes down past the base of the bullet? Twist and trim or what? I have reloaded for many many years but this PP stuff is a bit new to me. Thanks Steve
BFD

Re: Paper patch info

Post by BFD »

Just fold the paper under the bullet. The patch should be short enough that the center of the bullet's base is not covered by paper.

Seating dept should be 0.1" or less (that's a lot of room to fill in your case).

Lube - none is best for target work and wipe between shots. Just put a 0.06" LDPE or fiber wad between bullet and powder.

If you are going for a hunting load then a grease cookie that is something like a 0.06" wad over the powder, then 0.125" or thicker lube wad, then another fiber or LDPE wad and finally the bullet. This kind of load you may seat deeper in the case for handling purposes and coping with fouling.
mannyspd1

Re: Paper patch info

Post by mannyspd1 »

Standing Elk,
It would be difficult to go into all you need to know about paperpatching in a brief response in a forum. This book will give you a huge amount of information and will answer most if not all of your questions.

http://www.shopspg.net/Loading-And-Shoo ... gpaper.htm

For example, do not pour melted lube down into your cartridge to form your lube cookie! The book explains how to get repeatable results with a lube cookie.

Good luck,
Manny
Speak softly and carry a big stick...the exercise of intelligent forethought and of decisive action sufficiently far in advance of any likely crisis
TR