accurate powderless reloads for 45-70

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Bombay club

Post by Bombay club »

I just bought a #1 sporter,love shooting this rifle,I would appreciate any information for smokeless loads,that would give me reasonable accuracy in 100 to 300 yards range & be suitable for hunting buffalo.I am totally inexperienced in shooting any rifle,this being my first rifle,but it has been thrilling to finally have a shiloh. :D
Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

Mr Bombay,

If you are inclined to shoot smokeless powder try 40 grns of 3031 behind a Remington 405 grn bullet crimped tight. Very good load. You can expect to get 1 MOA out to 300 yds. Good for about anything around here, including gophers.....if you do your part. They tell me you can equal this, with work, using black, however the learning curve is much steeper. I prefer the black but haven't yet arrived yet. Someday, maybe. A mark to shoot for.

TL
Bombay club

Post by Bombay club »

thanks for the info,I'll give it a try,I am going smokeless now but might try BP later once I gain some experience
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Mr. Bombay Club,

I wish I could help you but I have never loaded smokeless in anything larger than .45Colt calibre.

By the way, I really like your Sapphire gin. It makes the very best martinis and is the only gin I will buy. :wink:
Lee Stone
Bombay club

Post by Bombay club »

Mr.stone
Although Scotch is my favorite drink,Bombay Sapphire is the best selling gin in my restaurant,& we serve spicy Indian cuisine,my goal spicy Buffalo masala,one of these days,soon as my shiloh starts shooting where I want it to!
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

You'll get there. And yours sounds like a restaurant I wish I was close to.
Lee Stone
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Bombay,

Just to stir the pot a little more, I shoot 40 gr. H4198 in a .45/70 with a 409 gr. hard cast lead flat nose bullet, Fed 210 primers and WW brass. This load performs very well on paper, silhouettes, and live targets (e.g. deer).

Although I have never shot anything bigger than deer I have no doubt it would perform well on larger game as well.

Regards
8iowa

Post by 8iowa »

Bombay:
Get a copy of Lyman's #48 Loading manual, now on sale for $15.49 at Midway, www.midway-usa.com.

Lyman lists loads for both jacketed and cast bullets. My suggestion is to start with cast bullets. This is a good lead in to your eventual loading of cartridges with "real Powder".

Also, stay on the safe side and use smokeless loads recommended for Trapdoor rifles. Don't take a chance on damaging your nice new rifle. Afterall, loads of this magnitude are what made the 45-70 famous in the first place.
NRA LIfe Member
NAHC Life Member
"Heaven is North of the bridge"
Bombay club

Post by Bombay club »

thanks to all
crazeyiven

Post by crazeyiven »

Bombay club-

Accurate Arms (Accurate Powder) lists several smokeless loads for the 45-70 (and also the 50-70, 50-90, 50-100 & 50-140 and others).

The link below is found under the "Obsolete" catagory. There are other 45-70 listing elsewhere in their manual.

http://www.accuratepowder.com/data/PerC ... %20362.pdf

If you have trouble with the link, just go to their website http://www.accuratepowder.com and follow the loading data links.

Hope this helps.

David