.22 cal adapters

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

RD146

.22 cal adapters

Post by RD146 »

Hello:

Have a Shiloh 45-90 in residence that has yet to speak. Am in the process of gathering the kit together. I received a "Buffalo Arms" cataloge the other day and noticed two different .22 cal adapters for these BPC rifles. Have any of you had experience with these. Accuracy? Looks like a neat way to get some practice, maybe over the small cal silhouette course.

Regards from the land of the Yankton Sioux
R. Dupraz
fjjensen

.22 insert

Post by fjjensen »

RD

I have one of the original shaver inserts.It is very accurate. I
am not that trilled with the loading method.Possible firing pin
damage is also a concern in mine as the firing pin hits steel.
FJ
RD146

.22 adapters

Post by RD146 »

fjjensen:

Thanks for your reply. You mentioned one of my concerns with this style, the steel on steel firing pin. The other question that I have regarding the L. Shaver adapter is does the adapter bottom out in the bore against the chamber mouth? If it does, the steel on steel thing again. Wonder what the affect would be, if any, over time and use.

The other adapter Buffalo Arms sells looks like it has a false chamber and rim that is part of the .22 barrel. If this bottoms out in the original cartridge rim at the breach of the barrel, it looks like a better arrangement to me. Along with the offset .22 bore so that the rifle firing pin strikes the brass .22 case rim

Appreciate your response
Regards
R. Dupraz
Bill Falk

Post by Bill Falk »

Howdy, I have a 2 yr. old Shaver. The firing pin strikes either a plastic or an aluminum plug in the body of the cartridge holder. The plastic seemed to indent quickily causing misfires ala the aluminum one. The body of the cartridge holder which is in the shape of a partial 45-70 case headspaces against an adjustable( for headspace) brass collar on the breech end of the .22 barrel insert. It is necessary to mark the insert and the headspace collar so a repeatable installation is doable. Very fine accuracy is obtainable,but I find it difficult to repeat the installation and get the accuracy each time without having to rotate the insert a little a couple of times. I do not note any steel to steel contact other than the rim of the cartridge holder in the rifle chamber of a Shiloh Sharps. Regards , Monticello Marshal
fjjensen

22 adapter

Post by fjjensen »

RD

Mr. Falk is right on with his explaination of the head space adjustment
on the shaver style.It being brass, you have no steel to steel contact
at chamber mouth.Evidently shaver has changed his design of the
cartridge holder, as mine definately is made so the firing pin strikes
steel,not aluminum or plastic.The Crossono method looks like an
improvement but I can admit to no experience with that design.

FJ
RD146

.22 adapters

Post by RD146 »

Regards
R. Dupraz
Bumper

Post by Bumper »

:arrow: RD146, I have a Crossno and Shaver insert. Up to now I've used only the Crossno insert in a Browning 45-70 BPCR and a Pedersoli
45-70 Creedmoor. The Crossno insert must be bought as a caliber specific insert 40 or 45 cal. The Shaver insert comes with adapters that enable it to be used in a 40 or 45 cal rifle. The Crossno insert is some what easier to use in that no adjustments are needed to use it. The Shaver insert needs the shooter to adjust headspace on the insert and then use a thread locking compound to fix the headspace adjustment. There seems to be little to chose from in terms of accuracy in my case as both inserts will group under 1" at 100yds if I do my part. Like all .22's you must find what ammo shoots best from your insert so be prepared to buy a goodly amount of different brands when evaluating your insert. The best thing about the inserts is that they are FUN and suprisingly accurate allowing you to practice on the cheap, (especially off-hand). I was lucky enough to hit a 200m chicken off-hand at the Cyber Shoot at Mexia last year and was hooked using a Crossno insert. Rbump
Ted Kramer

22 adapters

Post by Ted Kramer »

I got a Shaver insert last summer for my '74 Sharps 40-70ss. The Crossno struck me as being a bit better set-up with the rifle's firing pin striking the .22 shell. But Dave said that the smaller rim diameter of the 40-70 would not allow room for the off-set so I went with the Shaver. It is very accurate and I shot in a couple of long range .22 silhouette matches last summer, hopefully lots more this coming season, it's fun. I never had any firing pin problems tho until I used the insert, broke the pin, but do not know if the adapter was the reason or not, a few times I let some newcomers to shooting Sharps fire a few rounds and even after being told to half-cock before dropping the breech, they still dragged the firing pin across the punched primer, that can't be a good thing.
RD146

.22 adapters

Post by RD146 »

Thanks very much for the detailed replies. They have been helpful. It's this kind of willingness to share information that will keep our sport alive.

Hope to put some faces with names one of these days on the silhouette line.

Regards
R.Dupraz