An unsolicited Sharps Testamonial

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

nohorse

An unsolicited Sharps Testamonial

Post by nohorse »

I have just returned from a trip to Montana, where the past sixteen months have been spent hunting large game in that magnificent game country. During that time I have used exclusively the long range Sharps rifle , .44 calibre, bought of you June, 1876, and take pleasure in testifying to the satisfaction it has always given. I traveled over 2,200 miles with it slung to the horn of my saddle, discharged it over 2,500 times, was exposed to numerous snow and rain storms, was “bucked off” several times by a ‘Cayuse’ horse, yet it was never once out of order, nor did it ever fail to do its duty when held right and with the properly loaded shells. I hunted all kinds of game, with which that country abounds, and killed antelope, white and black tailed deer, buffalo, and grizzly bear, yet the rifling is as bright, and the gun is substantially as good as when I bought it. Of course I have taken the best care of it. Were I to go on such a trip again, I would select the same class of gun instead of the ‘sporting guns’ usually taken. I was glad I selected the ‘straight stock’ instead of the pistol “grip”, as the latter would not have withstood the bad usage received. I met some English gentlemen out there with the finest double express rifle wit “pistol grip” stock, but in each case the stock was shattered and patched up. Very truly, W.D. Pickett. St. Louis, Mo., December 15, 1877. [Post script: A Cayuse horse is an Indian pony.]

Interstin' ain't it? [From the 1877 SHarps catalog]. Man I wish I coulda been there!
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]
Parley Baer

Post by Parley Baer »

June 1876. Was that not the month of the "Little Big Horn" battle with General Custer and the 7th Cavalry. To think that this gentleman was hunting in Montana with the Indians on the warpath.

As a not I have a Sharps Model 1874 in .40-70SBN that was made in March, 1876. Has the Fruend & Bro stamp on the barrel. They would have been in Cheyene Wyoming at the time. I have always wondered about the history of the rifle. Parley
SHILOH 4
I'am that man, Matt Dillon, United States Marshall, the first man they look for and the last they want to meet.
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

Didn't think of that before Parley, but you're right. June 25, 1876 or thereabouts. I'd love to see that old Sharps of yours!.. I have a friend that just bought an original Colt 1851 navy. When he took it apart to clean it he found some really nicely engraved initials and the date 1880. Same thing..makes ya wonder where its been...
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]