Remington Rolling Block

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Trigger Dr

Remington Rolling Block

Post by Trigger Dr »

OK, I guess that this COULD be considered in bad taste, but....
I have an early Farmingdale in 45/70. I enjoy the rifle very much. The breaking of firing pins is getting to be a common thing, so I have retired the rifle until I can hand deliver it to Kirk for fitting a new breech block.
The satisfaction I get from casting and loading my own has just been increased 10 fold. I purchased a #5 rolling block action, and had a #4 Green Mountain barrel 33" installed. Bought a piece of Claro Walnut from the local gun show a few months back, Nice piece of wood. Sent it to George Peterson at Treebone for rough out work. Fitted the wood myself, and am in the process of finishing the wood. Put Ron Heilman sights front and rear. All that is left to do is finish the wood , Metal polish, and send the action to Adobe walls forge for color case work. Chambered in 45/70, this rifle weighs 13# 10 Oz.
Being a some what hyper person I could not wait, and Sunday, sent 80 rounds down range at 152 yds, from a kneeling position. I was not at a formal range, as I am primarily a hunter and practice in the environment in which I hunt. The rifle is TOO heavy for hunting, hense the kneeling shooting. My target was a 24" x 24" piece of plywood. All 80 rounds were in a group 6" wide by 7 1/2" high. ate out a nice hole in the center.

The fit and finish are not of the Shiloh quality, and it is not a Sharps pattern rifle. BUT the satisfaction of shooting something that I had a great amount of time in the building is just as good as if I were shooting a brand new Shiloh.

OK, my MY I LOVE ME STORY is over. Just am so happy that I had to tell it.
Trigger Dr Jim Milner :D :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :P :P
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Omak Cowboy

Neat

Post by Omak Cowboy »

Doc, that'a a cool story. Rolling block, huh?

I'm kind of making up my wish list of things that I could have as opposed to those things I'd love to have but in reality it's not going to happen.

So, my questions
Would you suggest a trap door or a rolling block?

How about sending my 1885 low wall back to the NY guy for "restoration". It's kind of spendy and I wonder if it hurts the value of the gun?

Thanks
Omak
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Trigger Doc: the Rem RB sure is nice & I’ve a nice Lone Star in .45-2.1”. One of these days, I’m going to dig out my surplus #5 7mm RB action & have it converted to a side lever & a heavy barreled .45-110. Straight stock hunter’s rifle--maybe w/ a wiping rod??

Omak: if you’re serious ‘bout a Trapdoor, please purchase a good reference work & familiarize yourself w/ it. There are a good # of fakes & “parts guns” out there selling for the price or almost the price of the real McCoy.
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Omak,
If you are serious about restoring yopur hiwall, consider Bruce Farman in Bremerton. He is a member of the custom gunmakers guild and is top notch. If interested his number is 360-692-4188.
He just bought one of Ron Heilmans sights for a Ballard that he is restoring.
Jim

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
pete

Post by pete »

I've got a Lonestar 45-70. It's a lightweight at 8 1/2 lbs. but an excellent hunting rifle which is what I got it for.
geronimo.tn

Post by geronimo.tn »

Trigger Dr.
Know what you mean about the original rolling block.
My first BPCR has been an orignial rolling block (probably Remington clone as it is marked H 71), rebarreled with a 34" round Green Mountain barrel by Lonestar and stock by Robert Roller. In fact I traded for the rifle at Dixie Gun Works. Robert Roller put the rifle together for a project that he published in 'The Single Shot Exchange'. When I got the rifle the metal and wood was unfinished.
I crudely cold blued the metal and oil finished the highly figured carlo walnut, bought a Shaver sight set , loaded some cartridges (low pressure Unique) and headed for a local 'buffalo' range.
That was two years ago and I'm hooked.
Ordered the Shiloh last Christmas. When the Shiloh comes in, I'm planning on converting to the 'black side'.
I like my roller, has been an excellent introductory rifle and in my opinion it's 'kooler' than the Italian reproductions. Heck, it looks like the whole rifle could be 130 years old, guess I accidently 'antique' finished it. The finish is not Shiloh quality.
The Green mountain barrels are top quality.
The only complaint I have with the roller is not set trigger.
When the Shiloh gets here the roller will probably go to a web auction to pay for some first quality sights for the Shiloh.
That #5 action should tolerate any load you put in it.
Enjoy.
Otter
Location: born and reared up in Nebraska . . . currently exciled in Arkansas

RB

Post by Otter »

geronimo,

Sounds like you got the same RB set-up as I do. Original #1 action, 34" Hvy oct Badger bbl and wood from Treebone, weighs in at a touch under 14#. I "accidently" must have antiqued mine, too, in much the same manner. Put mine together while my Shiloh was on order. Learned a lot about BPCR shooting that "old" gun. Unlike yours, it won't be on the trading block or for sale, no matter how many Shilohs I end up with.
Ya can't cheat the mountain, pilgrim, the mountain got its ways . . . Otter
charles vail

rolling blocks

Post by charles vail »

I have a Swedish roller made in 1874 that is just beautiful and it has been converted to a long range 45-70 with Baldwin sights and nice Claro walnut and a 34 inch GM barrel. so far three shots into 1.25 inches at 200 yards off a bench with black and lead!!! The other one is a converted #5 (7x57) that has a GM 38-55 barrel and Eastern hard rock maple wood. I made this one from scratch doing all my own work also and it has been fitted with Ron Heilmans sight and a Lyman on the front. I'll be firing it in its first BPCR match this Sunday 3-14 and can't wait. :D Someday a sharps!!! But for now these will do! :shock: :D
Frank

Post by Frank »

Omak Cowboy,
In my safe with all the other rifles I have a Springfield Trapdoor and a Remington Rolling Block both originals and both 45/70. I like shooting both rifles but if I had to choose one it would be the Remington Rolling Block.
Frank Costa
SHILOH 74 #1 SPORTER
SHILOH 63 CARBINE
SHILOH 1
SHILOH SHARPS RIFLE CLUB
TRUE SPORTSMAN CLUB
NRA
SASS
KHR

Post by KHR »

Hi all,
Since folks are talking about building rifles, here is a project I'm planning. I plan to build a Springfield Trapdoor longrange rifle. Historically the Longrange models were chambered for the 45/80/500 cartridge, which was in fact a 45/90 with 80 grains of powder. I plan on having a Badger barrel made that matches the contour of the 1879 or 1884 models. The first few Longrange models did not have a rear barrel sight and used sharps sights front and rear. The MVA traditional longrange tang and wingage front closely match the originals. The tang sight was inletted into a long wrist stock, probably will bed it someway. I might have an extra long wrist stock for it. finally I will put some recoil reducers and other weights to bring the gun up to 12lbs. (might even set it up for long range, about 14 lbs, and have a removable weight for making shilouette) the only thing incorrect will be the buttplate.

:-)
keith
Some originals and some Shilohs.
Molon Labe
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

OK, since we're talking about rolling blocks, I have an offer to trade for one with a Numrich?? barrel on it. The chamber is VERY tight and or short. Any of you guys familiar with these barrels?? It's in 45-70 and shoots the old 500 grain gov't bullet very well but won't chamber my loads with the lyman bullets??
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Ken,
I don't know who makes the barrels for Numrich (Now owned by Gun Parts Inc.) but the experience that I have had in the past, they are good barrels
As far as the chamber, you can have it "freshened" by most any good smith. Is it an original action or one o0f the clones? Good luck on it eoither way you go.
Jim

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Frank

Post by Frank »

Ken,
I happen to have a Remington Rolling Block with a Numirch barrel. It is stamped " Buffalo Barrel" and is 26 1/2" octagon heavy weight 1 1/2" across the flats at the muzzel. The action is a pre 1875. Numrich says they made this barrel over 30 years ago and no longer make it. The barrel slugged at .456. The Schutzen Gun Company say this combination make a very good rifle. I shoot a Paul Jones 545 gr Creedmore Bullet in 45/70 and it is very, very accurate.

Frank Costa
SHILOH 74 #1 SPORTER
SHILOH 63 CARBINE
SHILOH 1
SHILOH SHARPS RIFLE CLUB
TRUE SPORTSMAN CLUB
NRA
SASS
Ken Hurst

Post by Ken Hurst »

FWIW, I send all my job requiring color case work to "Classic Guns" in Beecher, Ill. ( about four a mo.) I have been engraving firearms for 45 years and have found that these guys do the finest color case of any I have ever seen !! They import dried/granulated and degreased scottish sheep shin bone and use only real hardwood charcoal that they crush to the proper granulation. For quench water, they only use rain water. What all this means is that they don't cut corners by using charcoal briquets and bone meal but do it the way it originally was done --- no short cuts. Incidently, their prices are way cheaper than Turnbull's , about 1/2 the cost & is usually done in about a week. Ken
50 Calshtr

Post by 50 Calshtr »

Mr. Hartlein,
Regarding the Numrich barrel I've had one one a #1 action for about 25 years. It is one of the most consistantly accurate rifles I've owned and regularly puts five shots into one ragged hole at 100 yds. I've just finished mounting an old Dixie GW brass tube scope that I had laying around, also for about 20 years, and can't wait to try it out. Given the chance I'd get another in about a half second. Go for it! BTW my load for the last 20 years is Remington brass, CCI 200 primers, 38 gr IMR 3031 (Blasphemy! I promise to try the holy black in the near future) and a 300 gr RCBS GC bullet sized .457.