copper fouling

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

kamotz

copper fouling

Post by kamotz »

My post has nothing to do with bpcr. But I figured many here are knowledegable about my plite. I have a Sako model 75 that has copper streaks that wont come out despite repeated scrubing with bronze brush and countless patches.I have the feeling I could go on scrubbing till hell froze over with no results :evil: .These copper colored streaks cant be seen from the breech end, but from the muzzle end you can see it with a flashlite. It doesnt appear to affect accuracy, but it only confirms that I will never put anything copper through my sharps rifle.Any tips on combating this would be appreciated.
Once you shoot black, youll never go back
Omak Cowboy

copper

Post by Omak Cowboy »

K, isn't it Shooter's Choice that removes copper? Or maybe its the other stuff in a black bottle I have downstairs..Smells like ammonia...mmmm can't remember.
Omak
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
kamotz

Post by kamotz »

Omak, I used Birchwood Casey super strength bore scrubber,for copper & nitro fouling it says.It definately smells like ammonia too.
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

Kamotz, I had a rem 243 that was shot with barnes bullets and was really coppered up .I corked the muzzle and filled it with shooters choice and just left it for a week in the corner ,than shot a few lo press loads than cleaned it and the stuff came right out. main thing is to keep it full.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
wolfie

Post by wolfie »

i can answer this with experience use either Barnes CR-10 or Sweet's 7.62 both have ammonia and will get the copper right out .JB bore paste also works on patch with a tite fiting jag just a little more elbow greese,but no ammonia needed.
B.J. Spalding
"I came I saw and I forgot why I am here."
SHILOH#1
Omak Cowboy

copper

Post by Omak Cowboy »

Wolf is right, it's the 7.62 that's in my gun cleaning drawer and works very well.
Omak
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
KHR

Post by KHR »

sweets works great,
but, do not leave in on the bore for an extended period of time, ie no moe than 20-30 minutes. Sweets is a very aggressive cleaner.
:-)
keith
Some originals and some Shilohs.
Molon Labe
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

JB Bore paste and Kroil will work wonders for your fouling. Takes a little time and elbow grease, but it works. If you use those ammonia formulas do it when the wife ain't home, and then clean good with some Hoppes, followed by more Kroil. Ya don't want to leave that ammonia in the bore. Also wash any copper brushes good in hot soapy water that you used for the ammonia products :!: It will eat away at them too :( . Hope this helps, Randy
Randy Ruwe
kamotz

Post by kamotz »

Thanks fellas, Thats what I get for getting my shooting supplies at Wal mart I guess. :roll:
RichBratlee

Post by RichBratlee »

All good advice--nmy 220 Swift is a copper hound---I like shooter's choice and a stainless brush--and lot's of elbow grease over a coupole of days usually gets the copper out for the next weeekend!
SHILOH 1
USN EM1 (78-83)
Sporter#3 45-70 military butt 34" standard MVA Long range and MVA standard front insert

People with weapons are citizens: People without are subjects!!
Bill Falk

Post by Bill Falk »

Howdy, I had the same problem with a 22-250 last fall after a p-dog shoot. None of the aforementioned products plus 200 patches accomplished a good clean up. A bench rest rifle builder and shooter recommended WIPEOUT(a foam like shaving cream stuff). The most I can say for it, it works as advertised. After using it a borescope inspection confirmed a sparkling clean bore Take a look at www.sharpshootr.com ( not a spelling error) Regards Monticello Marshal
Merritt

Post by Merritt »

Kamotz,

Are you letting the solvent soak in the barrel for any length of time or just brushing followed by wiping? If you have plain old Hoppe's on hand try this, assuming your cleaning your SAKO. Soak the brush and brush the bore 10 times for a total of 20 passes. LET THE SOLVENT WORK FOR AT LEAST 10 minutes or longer. Repeat the brushing and wipe out the bore.

Giving the solvent enough time to work may be the key to removing that fouling.

Merritt
kamotz

Post by kamotz »

Hi Merritt, yes I do let it soak. Then run dry patches through, and followed by another soaking.Then repeat,repeat,repeat.....I do notice the copper fouling shrink each pass. But at a rate so miniscule,that it would hinder me from shooting the damn thing as much as I oughta, knowing I have to go through the whole process again :evil: :x .I have hope however, I just orderd some "7.62", and "break free" foam spray from Brownells.I dont know if it has something to do with the fact that the Sako barrel is hammer forged, or what would make it retain copper fouling so tennaciously.It shoots quite accurately for a .300 Ultra mag.at any rate.Its just me being a hypocondriak.Thanks for the tips, Ill post my results when I get em. If this stuff works for me,It will work for anybody.
RichBratlee

Post by RichBratlee »

hey kamotz, I just remembered something I tried in my Swift--I went to a Hogden powder--got away from Dupont and that double nitro based powder--that cooled the flame temp down and yes I still had fouling--anything with a powder appetite like a Swift will but it did seem to be less and the cleaning time was shorter--not as much scrubbing

Rich
SHILOH 1
USN EM1 (78-83)
Sporter#3 45-70 military butt 34" standard MVA Long range and MVA standard front insert

People with weapons are citizens: People without are subjects!!
Bumper

Post by Bumper »

:arrow: Kamotz, Badger reccommends breaking in a new barrel by firing
jacketed bullets at moderate velocitys. I loaded 50 rnds of 45-70 brass with 350gr jacketed bullets and enough smokeless powder to give an estimated 1800fps. You fire 5 shots and then clean to remove copper fouling and repeat this until all rnds have been fired. I used Sweet's as it removes copper fouling quickly. The bore was swabbed with a dry patch after the final cleaning and then a patch soaked with Kroil was run through. The only leading I've seen in my barrels was after extended shooting with BP loads in +100deg weather and was just flecks on a tight patch run through the barrel. The Badger barrels on my Browning BPCR's all looked great out of the box but by using the jacketed bullets you are evidently lapping the barrel (removing/smoothing small imperfections). As lead would adhere to copper the removal of any copper fouling is a must before firing lead bullets. I've used this proceedure on 4 rifles and am satisfied with the results. Rbump