What was on the original "Quigley"?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

IronSight

Post by IronSight »

mrrangerman,
Don't put it past Hollywood to come up with some creative stuff, remember rambo taking out helicoptors with a bow and arrow. Theoretically possible, but...

Some of these actors make millions on action movies using firearms and then turn hypocrite. If they're anti-gun, you would think they wouldn't want to profit from firearm related movies. Yet the anti-gunnists in Hollywood don't question this, except for rosie o'donnel.

Anyhow, welcome aboard!
IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT WORK..AT LEAST MAKE IT LOOK GOOD!!
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

Yes, but even "Rosie" did not object to her armed bodyguards.
IronSight

Post by IronSight »

Canoe112,
The hypocrite list goes on. If i remember correctly, diane feinstein and the infamous sarah brady herself have/had special carry permits or had incidents where they defended themselves with firearms which of course was not well publicized. The honorable gun-grabbing mayor of Chicago also has an ontorage of armed bodyguards.
Back to medievel times where only the elite were allowed to pocess weapons and hunt.

After seeing Tom Selleck interviewed by rosie o'd. years ago, i stopped going to Kmart. Funny, the media never mentions this boycott as being the downfall of Kmart, but i noticed Kmart quietly dropped rosie as their spokesMAN.
IronSight

Post by IronSight »

canoe112,
Forgot about the 'Missouri boat ride' Sharps. Since the film takes place immediately after the Civil War, the rifle would have to be a '63. And if i remember correctly, it was a carbine with the large '63 hammer. The scope looked like a typical Civil War era sniper scope - long brass tube. Haven't watched the movie for few months but i'm gonna have to pull the DVD out again, or maybe the laser disc or maybe even the VHS tape.
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

IronSight,

Yeah, I figured it was a '63 given the period.

But, my recollection is "scopes" were not used during the War. It was my understanding optics did not come into play until after the War.

The tubes in use during the War were to my knowledge "Sight Tubes". non-optical tubes with cross hairs.

Therefore, the design would be analogous to what Berdan's troops used.

That would make sense and be "period" correct.

Hal
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

IronSight,

You said, "If I remember correctly, diane feinstein and the infamous sarah brady herself have/had special carry permits"

I ma in California. It is my understanding through GOC or some group I get literature from that Feinstein held her "Carry" permit for years. It was finally taken away, against her wishes, by the Sheriff's Office that issued it, because she could never show cause.

California in theory has "Right to Carry". But it is at the option of the County Sheriff's Office. I was a "Special Reserve Deputy" of Santa Barbara County (Mountain Rescue) for 15 years and could not get a "Carry" permit. None of our guys have ever gotten the permit. Regardless if they were Truck Drivers, Doctors, Unemployed, or Lawyers. Flat broke or worth a couple million.

But, if I drive 20 miles South and join Ventura County Mountain Rescue I would automatically be issued a "Carry" permit.

However, I must note this fact. Even though I and my comrades never had "Carry" permits, the highly experienced among us were deployed to some very dangerous situations. In each of those situations the Deputies told us to carry our 1911 and indeed thought we were idiots if someone declined.

So "Right to Carry" is VERY arbitrary in California.

Hal
Omak Cowboy

guns and such

Post by Omak Cowboy »

Finestine, who is work some 65,000,000 made a big show of turning over her little .38 spc to melt down some years back. But what she didn't show was the high capicity 9mm in her handbag!

In a very twisted way they are honest about "Gun Control" ThEY want to conroll all the guns...and then pretty much everything else.

By the way this just in about Comrad Kerry:
John Kerry...You Decide
> >
> > By a USNA grad ('59) and Rear Admiral (Ret.)
> >
> > I was in the Delta shortly after he left. I know that area well. I
> > know the operations he was involved in well. I know the tactics and
> > the doctrine used. I know the equipment. Although I was attached to
> > CTF-116 (PBRs) I spent a fair amount of time with CTF-115 (swift
> > boats), Kerry's command.
> >
> > Here are my problems and suspicions:
> >
> > (1) Kerry was in-country less than four months and collected a Bronze
> > Star, a Silver Star and three purple hearts. I never heard of anybody
> > with any outfit I worked with (including SEAL One, the Sea Wolves,
> > Riverines and the River Patrol Force) collecting that much hardware so fast, and for such pedestrian actions. The Swifts did a commendable
> > job.
> > But that duty wasn't the worst you could draw. They operated only
> > along the coast and in the major rivers (Bassac and Mekong). The rough stuff in the hot areas was mainly handled by the smaller, faster PBRs.
> >
> > (2) Three Purple Hearts but no limp. All injuries so minor that no
> > time lost from duty. Amazing luck. Or he was putting himself in for medals every time he bumped his head on the wheel house hatch? Combat on the boats was almost always at close range. You didn't have minor wounds.
> > At least not often. Not three times in a row. Then he used the three
> > purple hearts to request a trip home eight months before the end of his tour.
> > Fishy.
> >
> > (3) The details of the event for which he was given the Silver Star
> > make no sense at all. Supposedly, a B-40 was fired at the boat and missed.
> > Charlie jumps up with the launcher in his hand, the bow gunner knocks him down with the twin .50, Kerry beaches the boat, jumps off, shoots Charlie, and retreives the launcher. If true, he did everything wrong.
> >
> > (a) Standard procedure when you took rocket fire was to put your stern to the action and go balls to the wall. A B-40 has the ballistic
> > integrity of a frisbie after about 25 yards, so you put 50 yards or so
> > between you and the beach and begin raking it with your .50's.
> >
> > (b) Did you ever see anybody get knocked down with a .50 caliber round and get up? The guy was dead or dying. The rocket launcher was empty.
> > There was no reason to go after him (except if you knew he was no
> > danger to you just flopping around in the dust during his last few seconds on earth, and you wanted some derring do in your after-action report).
> > And we didn't shoot wounded people. We had rules against that, too.
> >
> > (c) Kerry got off the boat. This was a major breach of standing
> > procedures. Nobody on a boat crew ever got off a boat in a hot area.
> > EVER! The reason was simple. If you had somebody on the beach your boat was defenseless. It couldn't run and it couldn' t return fire. It was stupid and it put his crew in danger.
> > He should have been relieved and reprimanded. I never heard of any boat crewman ever leaving a boat during or after a firefight.
> >
> > Something is fishy.
> >
> > Here we have a JFK wannabe (the guy Halsey wanted to court martial for carelessly losing his boat and getting a couple people killed by
> > running across the bow of a Jap destroyer) who is hardly in Vietnam long enough to get good tan, collects medals faster than Audie Murphy in a job where lots of medals weren't common, gets sent home eight months early, requests separation from active duty a few months after that so he can run for Congress, finds out war heroes don't sell well in
> > Massachusetts in 1970 so reinvents himself as Jane Fonda, throws his ribbons in the dirt with the cameras running to jump start his political career, gets Stillborn Pell to invite him to address Congress and Bobby Kennedy's speechwriter to do the heavy lifting, winds up in the Senate himself a few years later, votes against every major defense bill, says the CIA is irrelevant after the Wall came down, votes against the Gulf War, a big mistake since that turned out well, decides not to make the same mistake twice so votes for invading Iraq, but oops, that didn't turn out so well so he now says he really didn't mean for Bush to go to war when he voted to allow him to go to war.
> >
> > I'm real glad you or I never had this guy covering our flanks in
> > Vietnam. I sure don't want him as Commander in Chief. I hope that
> > somebody from CTF-115 shows up with some facts challenging Kerry's Vietnam record. I know in my gut it's wildly inflated. And fishy.
> > >
> > Denise Trinque
> > HR Support / Portal Maintenance
> > 401-275-3000 extension 1490
> >
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
Buckskinner

Lefties

Post by Buckskinner »

To all
How many remember The gun control act of 1968? One of the first supporters of that joke was none other than John Wayne!

John Kerry is nothing but a yes boy for Ted Kennedy. If he is elected you will see more antigun bills than ever. We shooters had a big effect in the last election and we must be there again bigger and stronger!

My two bits!
Gary
Here's to the American Front line men and women where every they are!!!
Omak Cowboy

books

Post by Omak Cowboy »

Gary,
One of the most interesting books on firearms and history that I've read i a long time was "UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES". I can't recall the author at the moment and I know it's out of print but it's a fictionalized account of a second revolution in America.

It's a good read with the story and action all well done, but what may be the most interesting part is the little history lessons sprinkled all through the story.

One of the many little bits is that prior to the severe restriction on full auto weapons in 1932?, one could buy a Thompson by mail. The author states that there are likely thousands of them stuck away in closets. Now the excuise for the gun ban was the St. Valintines murders..BUT according to the author that happened about SIX MONTHS AFTER the law was put in place.
Interesting, isn't it?
Omak
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
Bearbait2

Post by Bearbait2 »

Omak Cowboy,
From my personal experience, I know that it is very easy for a Naval Officer to be decorated as compared to Enlisted personel. One incident from in-country that sticks in my craw was when a certain Lt. took the flack jacket off of the back of an enlisted person during a fire fight and then had the gall to put himself in for the Bronze Star; and he got it! He is probably a Public Relations Officer working for CHINFO now (if not retired). There is even more to the story but won't bother you with the sorid details.
Shoot Stright
Bearbait2

Post by Bearbait2 »

Actually, that should read PAO (Public Affairs Officer) rather than Public Relations......
Shoot Straight
Omak Cowboy

jacket

Post by Omak Cowboy »

Bearbait..GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

Too bad there was not a "Wardrobe malfunction' with that one!
Omak
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
Buckskinner

Hollywood

Post by Buckskinner »

Omak

Thanks for your comment, would like to read the book. It's pointed that when and if the rest of don't have firearms the Lefties will have theirs! I wonder if that is so they can control the rest of us?? 8)

I don't get to the renton area much anymore, wish I did I would sure get in contact with you and some of the other guys that are close to you (Tr. doc.) I think we have a lot to share.

Keep posting your good posts!

Gary
Here's to the American Front line men and women where every they are!!!
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Omak Cowboy:

You are right about the book, "Unintended Consequences". Great book, great history, great ideas..........

The authors name is, John Ross.

ISBN# 1-888118-04-0

Last time I saw it, it was in it's fifth or sixth printing. It can be bought off the internet, or at any decent gun show near you. :-)

Take Care,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Omak Cowboy

tex

Post by Omak Cowboy »

Tex, thank you very much for the update. I bought I think 6 copies but gave them all away and when I went back to replace the last one I had I was told 'Nope - out of print'
Very encouraging to learn it's in multiple printings. Maybe someone back east in Congress needs to have a few copies...just so they know how some of us feel.
Omak
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE: