Buffalo tounge...yuck!

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Joe Burr

Buffalo tounge...yuck!

Post by Joe Burr »

I don't know how many times I have read in books about Buffalo Hunting, how popular the toungue was back then. I really enjoy Buffalo meat and eat it on a regular basis, so I thought that with my interest in Buffalo rifles and the history of the great hunts, I would try it. Boy, they are really gross! Anyone actually acquire a taste for 'em? I think I would have stuck with the filets off the backstraps...way back when! :P
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

How did you cook it? I haven't cooked the tongue from my bull yet, but was thinking about smoke cooking it. I think the oldtimers boiled theirs. Let me know so I don't cook it the way your did :P Randy
Randy Ruwe
kevin harris

Post by kevin harris »

Hi Joe,

My 2yr old heffer from my (hunt) tastes great. I ended up with two heads complete with toungs. I boild one and fried the other in a skillet with butter mmmmm taaasty.

:D :D :D
"No triumph of peace is quite so great as the supreme triumphs of war." T. Roosevelt

W.T.S.S.
kamotz

Post by kamotz »

This buffalo tongue post caught my eye. Ive heard a lot of referances concerning the tongues being singled out as some sort of delacacy.A couple of years ago I purchased a J. Russell & Co. Green River Works skinning knife from an antique shop. It was in a case along side an original '63 Sharps.When I asked about the knife the seller said it was supposedly used to cut the tongues out of buffalo.Sounded strange to me, mabe not.Ive also been told that boiling cow tongues will stink your house up. :shock:
Once you shoot black, youll never go back
Joe Burr

Post by Joe Burr »

Smoking it might have been a way to go. I picked some damn recipe for tounge off the internet. Six hours cooking time with wine, onions and carrots. Sounded great, tasted like crap. Felt like I was biting into real greasey gristle! :roll:
Frank

Post by Frank »

The X-wife of a old school mate of mine does a good job on beef toungue. She cooks the toungue half way, slices it in to 1/2 inch pieces and pickeles it for a few days then finishes cooking it. Garlick bread, pickeled toungue and a glass of red wine, good stuff.
Frank Costa
SHILOH 74 #1 SPORTER
SHILOH 63 CARBINE
SHILOH 1
SHILOH SHARPS RIFLE CLUB
TRUE SPORTSMAN CLUB
NRA
SASS
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

Were did you guys go for your Buff.I been thinking of going on a hunt.
My new neighbor went on a hunt in SD two years ago but he could not keep the meat.

Kurt
kevin harris

Post by kevin harris »

Lead pot,

RLB Ranch Clearmont, WY. Rich Bumbacha is the owner but is in the process of selling the ranch I do not Know his phone number off hand Ill look for it and send you a PM if you want it
"No triumph of peace is quite so great as the supreme triumphs of war." T. Roosevelt

W.T.S.S.
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

I went to the Bison Ranch at Coteau Ridge, in ND. It was a fun hunt, and very nice people, but I have seen hunts for about half the price, and am going to look far and wide before booking my next one. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Randy,
Would you be interested in a hunt free ranging right here in Washington for $100.00? That will get you the 2-3 year old bull about 1000lbs on the hoof. Then if you want the meat you can buy all or part for $2.00 per pound carcass weight. I am going the first week of Nov. The $100 gets you the hunt, shoot, hide, head.
Trigger Dr Jim Milner
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

Trigger Dr.
That sounds like a good way to good way to go.
I'm not a trophy hunter I hunt for the meat.The smaller bull would be good tasting.
Dr if you would I would like to hear more by PM or hear.

Kevin check your PM

TNX all for your input Kurt
Joe Burr

Post by Joe Burr »

Trigger Dr.,

I would be into that..I'm only up in B.C. so not far at all. Any further details?
Omak Cowboy

hunt

Post by Omak Cowboy »

Doc....no kidding..$100.00 as in ONE HUNDERT? Neat..tell me more. Where? DO they do the butchering and skinning or do I bring ma knife?
Omak
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

I hope they do the butchering for $2 a pound on the hoof.that's still $1800 to $4000 hunt.

Kurt
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

A friend owns a freight company, and I occasionally drive for him when business gets heavy. His girlfriend's parents own a game farm, and her brother runs the place. This is a FREE RANGING HUNT on 1200 arcres in eastern Washington. The $2.00 a pound is on the carcass weight AFTER field dressing, skinning and head removal. Tihs translates into 500-600 pounds of meat. Total cost of the hunt if you take all the meat is around $1200. If you are not trophy hunter, partner up with some one who is, split the cost of the meat. All butchering is up to you. They will field dress, skin, etc. If you want the meat processed they will recommend a local butcher for the job. I spoke with Dave by phone last night and at the present time he plans on culling only 3 bulls this November, and asked that I not let more than an equal number of persons know the location, as he has a small herd and wants to build it up a little more. I do not want to build this up too much, but maybe I already have.
Trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation