Hartford Model in .45-70?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

robreber

Hartford Model in .45-70?

Post by robreber »

I would like to know if the original Sharps Company made a Hartford model in .45-70. I have been doing a little research before ordering my first Shiloh Sharps, and I would like for my rifle to be historically correct. Initially, I was going to order a .50-70 which was definitely produced by the Sharps Company while they were located in Hartford, Conn. However, .50-70 brass is more expensive, and I have had limited reloading experience (reloading of only .38 special and .357 magnum ammunition). Everyone that I have talked have suggested that I start with the .45-70, and then try other calibers later.

I have read Frank Sellers book that says that the .45-70 cartridge was first listed in the Sharps catalog in 1875. In that year the company was located in Hartford, and they moved to Bridgeport in the first of the year in 1876. However, I have not found a picture or a reference to a Hartford produced .45-70. Can anyone help me with this question? Thank you.
Rob Reber
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Rob,

I think you can order a Hartford model in 45-70 and call it resonably historically accurate. What that means is you can't really get a rifle that is pure Hartford in all of it's characteristics anyway. What you can get is a good representation of a transition rifle that is somewhat between a Hartford and Bridgeport in all of it's features.

Go ahead and get your Shiloh Hartford model in 45-70. I think you will be well pleased and comfortable in it's historical accuracy. Remember, if it's a Shiloh...it's the best available.
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
Parley Baer

Post by Parley Baer »

Your dates are correct. The .45-70 was a big seller for Sharps. You can be quite sure there are .45-70 Hartford Sharps. For authenticity I would not hesitate to order a Hartford Model in .45-70. Parley
SHILOH 4
I'am that man, Matt Dillon, United States Marshall, the first man they look for and the last they want to meet.