powder measures

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Grundy Burns

Post by Grundy Burns »

FWIW
A few years ago, while talking to one of the PACT tech reps on the phone about my chronograph, I asked if the PACT scale and the RCBS scale were from the same manufacturer.... they seemed to be the same except for the color. He told me that the RCBS scale was made by PACT and they were actually the same unit. I use the PACT and have found it to be very accurate, repeatable and trouble free.
"Should have steered clear of that kid".....
Manny Clothakis

Post by Manny Clothakis »

Trigger Dr, that powder measure you referanced sure looks good, would be perfect for BPCR loading, anyone else have any experience with this product????
Manny
BigBoresOrBust

Post by BigBoresOrBust »

Here's another question about the scales. You guys for the most part seem to like electronic scales. I was told to stay away from them when using black powder as there might be some sort of static discharge. Has anyone ever heard of or run into this?
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

The owners manual that came with my RCBS actually states not to use with black powder "This digital scale is for use with smokeless powder only. Do not use with black powder. If black powder should come in contact with an electrical spark, an explosion may occur, resulting in serious injury or death." That being said I'm sure that's more of a liability statement for them more than an issue for the end user unless that user is extremely careless in which case maybe they shouldn't be handloading anyways. I wouldn't think twice about using mine to weigh real gunpowder I just prefer my trusty old balance beam scale to using it for powder weighing.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
IronSight

Post by IronSight »

I use a Lyman LE 1000 which is sometimes tempermental. I found it needs to warm up about 15 minutes before it stabilizes. Running off the battery instead of the AC wall adapter and keeping it away from flourescent lights also seems to help. Sounds like the PACT/RCBS might be a better scale from the postings here.
Whatever scale you end up with, just make sure it has enough range to weigh BPCR bullets also.

My technique is to first put the EMPTY,PRIMERED & SIZED case on the scale.

Then ZERO the reading using the zero button on the scale. Then i throw a 'course' load a few tenths of a grain under using the Lyman 55 measure and drop tube. Obviously its important to zero each case as they all do not weigh the same.

Next, put the case with the course load back on the scale and trickle powder into the case itself until the scale reads the expected load.

This may sound complicated at first, but i tried all the loading techniques and this one is the quickest. It produces an accuracy of +/- .1 grain - the accuracy of the scale.

As far as BP and electronic scales, well i've got a hundred other things to worry about! I reload in the basement where the dampness minimizes static electricity and also shut the furnace off during reloading sessions. In addition, i grounded the measure, trickler and bench to my metal well pipe with 14 ga. wire. Overkill? maybe?
IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT WORK..AT LEAST MAKE IT LOOK GOOD!!
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

I personally think the warning/disclaimer re: blackpowder and electronic scales was instigated by the attornies again. After the studies I have seen regarding static discharge and its ability (inability) to ignite blackpowder, I very seriously doubt that there is the least danger of an electronic scale causing a blackpowder explosion.

Of course if I am wrong, it will likely be a rather spectacular error. :roll:

But I really don't think so.
Lee Stone
IronSight

Post by IronSight »

I just read the Lyman LE1000 electronic scale owner's manual twice frontwards and backwards - sadly something i don't normally do.

There is NO mention of BP anywhere, even in the 'Cautions' section!
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Thanks IronSight,

I like my Lyman LE1000 and I would hate to have to quit using it. :wink:

However, I like my iBAL201 even better. Much bigger capacityand extremely accurate. And besides weighing in grains, ounces, and grams, the iBAL measures in several other units I haven't even heard of. But, I just may find a use for those units someday. :roll: 8)
Lee Stone
PowderFlask2

Post by PowderFlask2 »

I have my powder measure grounded just to be safe however

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/mlexperi ... parks.html

That is the article on the Holy Black and sparks again
kamotz

Post by kamotz »

Hi all, I just purchased that iBal201 scale online today. It goes for$99 plus shipping, so for me about $111.Comes with a calibration weight, and an AC adapter cord.I am particularly impressed by its capacity 3000 grains.not to mention all of its other options.It is cheaper than many other scales, and has more capacity, and more options.It might be the Waage melting pot of the digital scale world :shock: :roll: ie. cheaper but perform better.and not necessarily directed at the shooting and reloading sports.Anyhow, if Lee has one, it cant be junk. P.S. Im still saving for a Harrel"s powder drop Lee
Once you shoot black, youll never go back
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

You're going to like the iBAL201. And I'm not saying anything bad about the Lyman LE1000. The iBAL201 has more capacity and is more versatile. And you will like the Harrell too when you get one.
Lee Stone
IronSight

Post by IronSight »

Lee Stone,
Are the extra features and weight capacity of the iBAL the reason you like it better than the Lyman1000? How does it compare as far as stabilization and drift (the need to check and re-calibrate from time to time)?

kamotz,
What website did you purchase the iBAL201 from and does the description include the accuracy spec.?

Thanks guys, i just might be retiring my Lyman1000 to backup status!
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

With both scales (I keep wanting to call them balances :roll: ) I like to recalibrate at the begining of a session. The iBAL201 does not seem to need to be zeroed out as often as the LE1000 during a sesseion. But the huge increase in capacity (about 3 times) is the principal aspect I like about it. The range of weight units in the iBAL is nice, and it is convenient, but using a conversion table is not an insurmountable handicap with the LE1000. You really get a lot for your dollar(s) with the iBAL201 IMHO.
Lee Stone
Swany

Post by Swany »

Trigger Dr, I like the looks of that quick-measure and I especailly like the idea that it won't cut powder grains, black or smokeless. I would also like the web address for that iBl201 scale. I really like my Dillon scale but I would like to have that 3000 grain capacity :? Ron
NRA Endowment member 45-70 #3 Sporter Gun ownership is protected by the second amendment and is every law abiding persons privilage and responsibility.
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

SWANY
The quick measure loads the charge by pushing the charge tube up into the hopper, and it fills from the side. This allows the charge to be consistant as the weight of the powder above the tube is of no consequence. However, conversations with a friend today indicate that technique can sly your results. It seems the charger must be lowered quickly to maintain consistency I will be buying one this week. I think I will go with just the mounting for the powder can.
trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation