MVA Hadley vs Montana Magnum

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

spook2

MVA Hadley vs Montana Magnum

Post by spook2 »

Hi Troops, any experience/recommendations on either of these eye discs? Thanks,
Spook2
Got the target; the friendlies are in sight; master arm on; I'm rollin' in hot. Experto Crede.
Bumper

Post by Bumper »

:arrow: The larger eyecup will block more light from the side of the sight and gives a better sight picture. It also has more choices in aperture size so you can get the best focus on the front sight. Rbump
N2

Post by N2 »

spook2 - MVA inadvertently shipped my one of their Montana Magnum Hadley eyecups last week. I compared it to my "standard" MVA Hadley. It is indeed larger and will block more light, however, in addition to being much larger it's much heavier. In a hard recoiling rifle this could get interesting as that heavy eycup may just be heavy enough under hard recoil to wack you in the head. If you're on the edge of a weight limit, like the silhouette limit of 12 lbs., 2ozs., it's heavy enough to put you over.

While it does have a number of additional apertures they are all larger than the largest on the standard Hadley. If you need a bigger hole than the largest on the standard Hadley you're shooting at night.

Speaking of MVA shiping me the wrong part, they sent out the replacement part the day I called and had it to me in three days. They are also picking up the tab for the return postage. Nice people, good products, good service. All that makes them hard to beat. - Nick
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

I also like the Montana Magnum Hadley eyecup. The main drawback I find with it though is for shooting short range, 100yds or so. The MM Hadley is two big to adjust down far enough, so I had to switch to a standard size. I was fortunate enough to happen to have an extra MVA standard size Hadley eyecup for some reason I haven't quite figured out yet. :roll:
Lee Stone
TYRVR

Montana Magnum....

Post by TYRVR »

First, I gotta say this...."Montana Magnum" the "Cowboy Condom!"....O.K. thats out of the way, sorry, just that title seemed more appropriate for another product other than sighting aids, back on topic, I like that.... "BIG OL' HADLEY".......I'm sorry, it's these terms....but I find, being possibly somewhat inbred, the size of the disc interferes with my keeping both eyes open when shooting, and if I don't use both eyes, the target image blurs and shrinks.

Dirty Minded Ol'Tye,
Member #3, of the "Brought Enough Gun Club"
Shiloh Sharpie

Post by Shiloh Sharpie »

Biggest problem for me, owning a magnum, is that the sight cannot be fully laid down for cleaning the barrel. The cup hits the comb of my Meacham, which has a lower sight setting than my Rolling Block or Shiloh Sharps. I wanted the magnum so I could jury rig diopter eyepieces to it so I can see the sights better, but I have not checked to see if it is legal to do so for BPCR silhouette, so never got the project off the ground.
Shiloh Sharpie
SASS Life member
NRA member
---------------------------------------------------------
#1 Sporter; 45-90; Steel buttplate; Pewter forend cap; extra fancy wood; 30 inch heavy octagon; Marble Tang Sight; MVA 111 front