Books, books, books.....

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Todd Birch

Books, books, books.....

Post by Todd Birch »

It there's anything as engrossing as the guns we play with, it's reading about them.

I took a lady friend to an arms show today. She bought a gun (S&W K-22) and a brick of ammo to feed it.

I bought five books and a Marbles brass cleaning rod!

"The Boxer Cartridge In The British Service" by Temple, Lyman's cast bullet book, "The Plains Rifle" by Hanson, "The Book of Rifles" by Smith and a real gem - "Cartridges" by Logan.

The latter was printed in 1948 and is the most incredible treatise on obsolete cartridges I've yet seen. Can't wait to get my face into it.

The lady, by the by, is capable of hitting a 12" steel plate at 25-50-75-100 yards with my 4" S&W .22. She oughta be down right dangerous now that she has her own. This time last year she was afraid of guns.

Do us all a favour - take a lady shooting!

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Todd,

"Ya Reallly Done Good Boy!". Now that lady will likely be an enthusiastic shooting evangelist. Nothing like a fresh convert to do missionary work. Especially a nice, sedate lady. They are just more believable than us men for some reason. :wink:
Lee Stone
Todd Birch

Lady Shooters - God Bless 'em!

Post by Todd Birch »

Hey Lee

I was a guest on a talk show one time on the topic of "gun control". During a station break, the host gave me a clue.
He told me that in his media experience, the opinion of one woman on a hot button topic (i.e. "gun control") out weighed that of 10 men!
His advice for the shooting fratermity was to go out and convert and recruit as many women as possible, deliberately selecting them over men if need be.
They tend to look and smell better too.

I've done that ever since, and all have turned out to be 'kick ass' shooters and spokeswomen on "gun control". People listen to them in a way they would not for a 'good ol' boy' red neck like me.

Once women find out that shooting is a matter of hand-eye co-ordination along with the ability to concentrate, they catch on quickly. The days of intimidating them with a 6 1/2 lb .30-'06 are gone! We need their support and involvement.

I took my lady friend out to the range with her new toy (S&W K-22) and we ended up clanging the 100 yard gong with it from a rest.
She's delighted and hooked now.

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Years back when I woprked for the Montana Dept of Justice, I was classifying fingerprints when my wife (the meter maid) walked in ans asked if she could use my service revolver, as the Chief said the women (meter maids, dispatchers, etc) could go to the range with the men. About 3 hours later she returned with a sad look on her face. When I asked what was wrong, she replied that the women were upset with her because the Chief would no longer allow the women to shoot with the men because she had out shot all of them. GO GIRL GO !!!
Jim
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
crashresidue

women shooters

Post by crashresidue »

Cheers,

I've always had "fire arms" in my house. It's a "Nam" thing with me.

Well, to make a long story short, I'm on my third wife and we were in the "gun store" and I was buying "another" weapon, when my wife asked " Just how many do you have to have before you have enough?" - my response was "You've never been over run, have you?"

I went home and found a copy of "Point of Impact" by Hunter and had her read it.( it's a little John Wayne, but it makes it's point) It took her two days and on that day, we went back to buy me "another one" - only when we picked it up, I told her it was for her - it was a scoped SKS and she hasn't been without it within arms reach since.

This "Lady" regularly out shoots me with every weapon I own - including the 45-110 Shilo. Ego problem? HELL no, I want her being my "cover" if it all goes to sh*t.

Yea, show ALL the women you know just how great it is to take a weapon (only call it a "gun") and punch little bitty holes in a piece of paper "way the Hell down there" and just how much fun it can be.

Once they learn - they're the best "converter" you'll ever find!

Besides, it's an ego trip to have her snuggled up to the biggest "gun" on the range and ping the gong round after round. Trust me, I've seen it time after time!

Gentle winds,
Russ