45-110,length of barrel & good balance

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Bombay club

45-110,length of barrel & good balance

Post by Bombay club »

hello gentlemen,what configuration & barrel length would work best in a LRE IN 45-110,for shooting both offhand & of a bench,what would give the best center of gravity & balance :?:
Smokin

LRE .45-2 7/8"

Post by Smokin »

Bombay club,

I may be wrong here, but I think that if you are looking at a Shiloh LRE, the specs are a 34" heavy octagon barrel, less rear barrel sight, with pistol grip stock, etc. This is going to end up weighing somewhere in the neighborhood of 13 1/2 lbs, which may be the lower end of the weight range for a rifle of that caliber which you intend to be shooting a lot. Your comfort level depends completely on your size, shape, and physical condition. One of the guys in our local club, who incidently shot 2nd place at Quigley last year, is of about average size and shoots an LRE offhand with great apparent ease and comfort. Good luck, Smokin

ps, when shooting from sticks or a bench, they/it do/does all the work, just about, in supporting the rifle so balance, etc. there becomes pretty much moot. [I'm soon to become a legend in my own time at stating the obvious. When I turn that corner, do you suppose I'll become totally transparent?] :?
Smokin

Member in tall standing of the Frozen Tundra Chapter, Flat Earth Society.
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Smokin,
Did you ever render that lutefisk down into bullet lube? Shor would be interestin
Trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

But Doc, He would have 37 cats hanging around trying to catch his cartridge belt. :shock:
Lee Stone
Bombay club

Post by Bombay club »

smokin
the LRE comes standard with a choice of 34'' in heavy,heavy/half,standard or standard half,a half octagon & half round barrel is also listed on the customize page,weightwise I guess the heavy is a must,will the 1/2 octa & 1/2 round make any difference? :?:
RichBratlee

Post by RichBratlee »

Not to mention the 50 'wegans that would be hangin' out on the front porch!!
SHILOH 1
USN EM1 (78-83)
Sporter#3 45-70 military butt 34" standard MVA Long range and MVA standard front insert

People with weapons are citizens: People without are subjects!!
RMulhern

Post by RMulhern »

Richbratlee

<<'wegans >>??

You mean you hang out with those guys??

Couple years back, up in Missouri on a GREAT DEER HUNT....we had a "wegan" come down and we put him at the head of the table come supper time (dinner to you city folks) and we sat him next to an Irishman whom had a machine stuck under the table that when he pushed a button......it sounded like an elephant "breaking wind"! When it went off.....the "wegan" got this terrible look on his face, he looked straight at the Irishman....but didn't say a word! Oh...I might add that at the moment of "ignition"....the Irishman had leaned up on one cheek....so there was no doubt about who was the culprit! That went on for about 8 more times during the meal....and the looks got nastier and nastier but....not one word was mentioned by the "wegan"! The next night he was invited to "dine again" and he made the comment to the inviter....that he would "No way come back! Those were the nastiest folks he had ever been around!"

Needless to say....the other 9 folks at the table were "bursting a gut" nearly to keep from laughing! We all acted like it was perfectly normal! Oh....the "wegan".......NEVER CAUGHT ON!! :lol: :twisted: :lol:
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Bombay Club:

After reading this board for a while, this topic has come up from time to time. Some of the shooters prefer the #14 Bull Barrel to the 34 inch Heavy. Evidently having:

1) More weight on the rifle is better than less. 13.5 vs. 14+ pounds.

2) Having the weight balence points back toward the shooter is more comfortable offhand. The #14 barrel is 30 inches long vs. 34 inches for the heavy

When the next round of Bull Barrels are being built, that is what I'm going to put on my 45-110.

Hope this helps.

Texas Shooter

For those who have used these in competition, can you verify this information.
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Smokin

'wegans

Post by Smokin »

Fellow Smokeblowers,

I think that some of you fail to understand the depth of humor found among the frozen tundrites. Some of us are on record as having chuckled several times in one year and, and, guffawing loudly enough so someone seated within pea pitching distance could hear it, if the crowd was quiet. Eating fish that wiggles when cooked, with mounds of boiled potatoes -- oh my heart flutters -- are delicacies that buoy the soul while delighting all the senses. Aromas to clear the sinus and vapors that will, ahem, tarnish anything metallic and downwind. Ah, well, every silver lining is carried by some sort of cloud.

I do stand corrected on what I said about the LRE. Various barrels are indeed standard. In my own defense, I would recommend that one ordering a rifle chambered in .45-2 7/8", which will be shot from a rest and/or prone, strongly consider getting one a heavy as possible or allowed by the rules of the matches in which you may consider competing. I have a .45-2.6", which I have fired a bunch; it weighs 13 3/4 lbs and in my opinion is borderlline too light in matches where you might be firing 100+ rounds in a day. It wears me out. And I have a .45-2 7/8" on order. There is the off chance that the fish that wiggles when cooked has affected my cognitive processes. More on this later.

ps, Sharpsman, I have it on best authority that it was actually a "wegan" who invented the Flatulator and yours was obviously just playing the crowd. Too much jollity can be a profligate waste of precious energies: you just never know when you may have to hole up in the nearest snow drift to ride out that 3 week blizzard. At 30 below. With a 75 mile per hour breeze. And while wearing only one's skivvies and a thin pair of cotton socks. --frozen tundra, out

:lol: :lol:
Smokin

Member in tall standing of the Frozen Tundra Chapter, Flat Earth Society.
Bombay club

Post by Bombay club »

weight being a consideration as far as recoil is concerned,has any body out there tried or knows if a recoil reducer in the buttstock of a 34'' barrel, in a heavy 1/2 round configuration would be a workable proposition in 45-110:D
RichBratlee

Post by RichBratlee »

Sharpsman--welllll yeah I kuinda hangout with them-- :lol: My dad is 100% 'wegian(spelled it wrong before)--and have heard all the stories--even met some uncles from over there--man what a hoot--and grandma--well she would get excited and if you thought trying to understand her normally was hard--just wait till she shifted into norwegian!!! :roll: -- And oh yeah I loved that story--reminded me of one where Granville Stuart bought some long horns and when the drovers showed uip he had them in for dinner--passed a plate of carrots and such around and one of those texans said" back home we give this stuff to the hogs" to which Stuart replied " so do we, here try some"!
SHILOH 1
USN EM1 (78-83)
Sporter#3 45-70 military butt 34" standard MVA Long range and MVA standard front insert

People with weapons are citizens: People without are subjects!!
RMulhern

"Wegans"

Post by RMulhern »

Smokin

<<There is the off chance that the fish that wiggles when cooked has affected my cognitive processes.>>

On this subject.....ABSOLUTELY NO DOUBT! :lol: :shock: :lol: Now...if you was eatin "cathead biscuits an grits"....yo thinkin would be clear as a church bell!!

As for me havin to "hangout in a snow storm.....I'm fearful that the New Orleans Saints will win the Super Bowl afore that happens!! :lol: :roll: :lol:
RMulhern

Recoil reducer

Post by RMulhern »

Bombay club

<<has any body out there tried or knows if a recoil reducer in the buttstock of a 34'' barrel, in a heavy 1/2 round configuration would be a workable proposition in 45-110:D>>

Not to my knowledge! Just take ya bout 3 good "swigs o Wild Turkey" and load that sucker up and let fly!

After 3 shots....ya won't feel a thing!! :lol: :( :cry:
AL Rittenhouse

Post by AL Rittenhouse »

Sharpsman & Others
I took my 45-100 out this weekend to blow the dust out of the barrel and get a little practice. I ordered a Shooters friend recoil pad from my favorite people at Sagebrush Products. It just slips over the end of the stock no annoying pad to strap on over or under your shirt. Let me tell you what it makes the 100 just shoot like a kitten and no sore shoulder after shootin over 50 rounds. Nothin but smiles here. They gave it the right name. It is definetely the shooters friend. :) :) :)
It's time the long arm of the law put a few more in the ground