What MODEL Kowa to get?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Trigger1212

What MODEL Kowa to get?

Post by Trigger1212 »

Hello all, was following the other spotting scope thread but it brought up another question for me. I currently have a Leupold gold ring 20-40 x60 mm straight eye piece scope. Nice for bench work but would like a scope with an angled eye piece. If I got a Celestron unit it would be the M2 Regal 80mm, Vortex would be the Razor HD w angled eyepiece.

My problem is with the Kowa units, don’t know enough about them to pick the right model for BPCR.
So question(s) are:

1. New, what model would you chose and what eyepiece?

2. They don’t give these things away soimight have to go the pre-owned route. PO probably means no HD glass. If you were looking at PO what would be THE model/eye piece combo you would look for?
BFD

Re: What MODEL Kowa to get?

Post by BFD »

I'd go after this one before any of those others.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kowa-TSN-821M- ... 1438.l2649

I bought this one a few weeks back. It turned out to have protective filters on both ends, plus the case and in essentially mint condition.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kowa-TSN-821M- ... 1438.l2649
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Brent offers a pretty darned good choice there! I have the 821, which is one of their cheaper models and really like it. I also like the angled eye piece as I can look at my shooter with my left eye without taking my head off of the scope. Some guys like the straight eye piece as it may be easier to keep an eye on the wind flags. A lot of shooters really like the 27x long eye relief eye piece. It is about the right power to see what you need and your head placement is not critical. You can easily see through it with or without glasses on. Although I use one a lot and don't mind it, I prefer the 20-60x zoom eyepiece. I can zoom out to see wild shots when guys are getting sighted in, and I can zoom way in and see bullet holes in paper way out there. I know you are just looking for advice, but it seems everyone wants to be told what to buy when in fact it is a personal decision. You really need to try several out and by what suits you and your pocketbook. For the record, I have, use and like better than anything else I have used, a Kowa TSN-821 with the 20-60 zoom eyepiece, a Kowa zippered and padded cover, and a Brad Rice tripod. I bought the scope body used (like new) off of ebay for $350, the eyepiece was new old stock from some going out of business company on the web for $150, the cover from optics planet for around 50 bucks (can't really remember) and Brad made the tripod for me and just asked for a few bucks to cover materials. As far as I am concerned this was the absolute best route to take for me, but you have to find what is best for you.
hope this helps, Cody
BFD

Post by BFD »

I strongly dislike an angled scope for spotting. I don't want to see my shooter, I want to see flags, smoke, dust, mirage and the target. I use a straight Zeiss with zoom when spotting for another shooter. The angled scope I use down on the mat when spotting for myself, as is required for muzzleloading and some other games.

Like Cody, I prefer the zoom lens usually. But the 27 LER will be find and maybe even better for the "down" scope. I like the zoom when shooting paper and misc other spotting scope chores.

The used market is the way to go for glass in my opinion.
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

If I needed a scope, it would be a Kowa for me, I would be all over that one. You can spend more money, anything over that scope is doing just that, spending more money.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
BFD

Post by BFD »

Well, it sold for a pretty penny for certain. Still a good price in my opinion.

Did anyone here get it?
johnl

Post by johnl »

What power do you folks use to see .50 bullet holes at 200 yards?
BFD

Post by BFD »

25 and up.
VBull

Post by VBull »

When I first started out, I had an old Russian (soviet) made scope that was around 50 mm. It was a short / smaller bodied scope that was surprisingly good. I then bought a Kowa TSN-601 with angled eyepiece and liked that one for the midrange and indoors shooting I was doing at that time.
I found a TSN-1 with extended eye relief eyepiece in a pawn shop for a very good price and have been using that csope for the last 25 years. Its been knocked over, rained on, frozen and baked in the sun. It is still my go to scope when competing.
My wife used a Celestron 100mm scope with angled eyepiece and a Kowa 821. These are both good scopes with the nod going to the Kowa only because the Celestron is a BIG scope. The Kowa 821 has what seems to be a graphite body while the TSN-1 is aluminum. Her 821 has been back to the shop for repairs twice. My TSN-1 looks USED but is working fine.
None of them are worth a hoot in the rain once the lenses get full of rain drops and black powder smoke and lube residue. FM
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Guys,

Thanks for all the replies and thoughts. I was setting on the sidelines waiting to jump on this eBay scope buuuuut then they started to get a little crazy. With the bidding starting to climb with a couple hours to go I knew it was going to go for a pretty penny as was pointed out. So never hit the bid button on this one. There will be more and it's not like I need it yesterday. For just a little more there is a nice TSN-82v, but it has a 30x wide angle eyepiece and as I wear glasses I was interested in the 27x LER. Was a very nice package, BFD thank's for pointing it out, just a little more coin than I was hoping to spend.

Probably was a good price for what it was but just did not seem right to spend over $700 when BRD got the same one for $455 last week! Better luck next time, half the fun is in the hunt!

If anyone sees an outstanding deal/package I'd surly appreciate you dropping me a note!

Cheers!

Wade
Semper Fi!
BFD

Post by BFD »

Yes, that scope got a heck of a bidding war going. I got lucky a few weeks ago.

I need to sell the Nikon ED78 I'm replacing with this Kowa. I hope I can get as lucky as that seller did.
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

jackrabbit; do you know the number for the variable eye piece? thanks art
stevewhr

Post by stevewhr »

BACO sells the fixed Kowa 25X for $900.00 Or did a couple months ago. Apparently it can be either a 25X or a 27X. Regardless, I bought one and love it. It's sharp enough optically that in good light I can see bullets splashes on steel from 1200 yards. Can't imagine why but I can add the variable eyepiece later if I want. Meanwhile this is a great scope and that was the best price I could find.
wyomingsightdrifter.com
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Something to consider. When we bought our Kowa 821 from Shiloh in 2006 it came with the 27X LER eye piece. We were shooting mainly Silhouette but some Long Range and Gong shoots so when a friend offered to trade me his 20-60X straight across I said yes. All was well until the Silhouette matches began to enforce the 'Spotter must wear eye protection' rule. The eye relief on the Variable eye piece is so short that wearing glasses and seeing a full field of view can't be done. So the following year I purchased the 27X LER again and now we are good to go wherever, whenever.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
BFD

Post by BFD »

DeadEye wrote:Something to consider. When we bought our Kowa 821 from Shiloh in 2006 it came with the 27X LER eye piece. We were shooting mainly Silhouette but some Long Range and Gong shoots so when a friend offered to trade me his 20-60X straight across I said yes. All was well until the Silhouette matches began to enforce the 'Spotter must wear eye protection' rule. The eye relief on the Variable eye piece is so short that wearing glasses and seeing a full field of view can't be done. So the following year I purchased the 27X LER again and now we are good to go wherever, whenever.

Paul
that enforcement went away last year. Seems to have been a 1 and done sort of thing.