Smokeless Loads & Lube

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

OMD

Smokeless Loads & Lube

Post by OMD »

I recently had some problems with my pet 45-70 smokeless load and I'm thinking it might be the lube. I typically shoot a Lyman 457125 cast bullet (1/20) over 44 grains of Accurate Arms XMR 2495. I have been using Javelina lube (an alox/beeswax blend). I usually load my rounds the night before I go shooting and store them face down in a MTM case.

I few weeks ago, I went to the range with a case of rounds that had been loaded several weeks in advance. Of the rounds I shot, about half of them worked fine and the powder in the other half failed to completely ignite - there was enough of an ignition to push the bullet through the bore and skip it down range toward the target. After a few shots, I stopped shooting. I'm sure that the powder was contaminated, but I'm not sure how or why.

I always wipe the lube off the base of the bullet before seating it. After loading all of my rounds I had been wiping them down with WD-40 to remove the excess lube. I now use acetone instead - a local Sharps shooter told me he used acetone because it drys fast and is therefore unlikely to find its way into the case. I still have suscipions that the lube, time, and the fact that I store the bullets face down are the problem.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Owen
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

FWIW: I think your culprit is the WD-40. It migrates into everything.

Unless your lube melted, I fail to see how it could contaminate the powder. I also think that if your lube failed by melting, your bore probably would show some leading.
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

I second the wd-40 idea it is a penatrating oil
I have cast loads over a year or more old that have no problems
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
OMD

Post by OMD »

Thanks Ray and Powderburner,

I'm pretty sure your right. I have stopped using WD-40, and hopefully I won't experience any future problems.

Owen
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Due to some bad experiences my own and a number of other law enforcement agencies had with WD-40 penetrating into and deactivating primers and possibly powder charges a number of years ago, I quit using it on firearms. WD-40 is extremely penetrating.
Lee Stone
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

Lee
I would'nt throw that WD away.It makes darn good Cat Fish bait.

Kurt
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Kurt,

I do use it for stuff such as spraying on my garden pruning shears and other similar projects. I just dont take it into my gun room.

Catfish bait hmmmmm? Now there's and intreguing thought.
Lee Stone