16 pounders

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

KHR

Post by KHR »

turk
I almost bought your rifle! but I waited too long! Also your gun was an ounce heavier than the one I got. Yep, had to go ahead and get one. I want to have it make longrange weight so I'm gonna see about lightening it a little bit. Also Im having it rechambered in 45/ 2 7/8. Mine has a tiger stripe pattern.
:-)
keith
Some originals and some Shilohs.
Molon Labe
Lead Slinger

Post by Lead Slinger »

Dan, Turk 36:
I picked up my rifle last night. What a cannon! That is a big barrel. The hang tag that came with the rifle claims 16 pounds, 5 1/2 ounces. The fit is perfect as usual, and the wood is a step above what you expect. Another work of art from Shiloh. The barrel measures 1.410 inches at he breech and tapers to 1.310 at the muzzle. My plan is to attach my RHO scope to it, then get down to serious load testing. Even with the standard rifle butt stock on it, I can't imagine there will be much felt recoil from a .45-70. This piece looks like a lot like the photos I have of the heavy Sharps sold to professional buffalo hunters out on the Texas plains around 1874-76. Dan, Turk, let me know how yours turns out.
Remember, God shoots a Sharps Lead Slinger
Turk36

Post by Turk36 »

Leadslinger: Picked up mine from my ffl guy yesterday. It's a 14lb. weight is 15lb. 1oz. Wood is fantastic Kirk said it was graded wrong at semi fancy should have been extra fancy select. Has caliber 45 on top of barrel and 2 1/10 upside down on right side flat, Kirk said the orignals were marked that way on the bull barrels. This thing sure is a cannon not as heavy as yours but plenty. Has steel shotgun pistol grip stock,pewter tip,brass escutcheons,globe front sight,buckhorn which i'm removing to put on R.Bruntz tang site. Barrel is 1.315 breech,1.220 muzzle. Sure is purdy,will shoot it tomorrow,let ya know how it does.----Turk
Joe Burr

Post by Joe Burr »

Leadslinger,

Any chance you can post a picture or two of that fine sounding rifle??? :shock:
Lead Slinger

Post by Lead Slinger »

Joe Burr, and all:
I wish I could get some photos on the site. I'm not the most skilled guy with didgital equipment. I did get to test fire "The Beast" on Saturday, at least at 100 yards. Accuracy was solid, with the average 5 shot group @ 1 1/2 inches. This is with a RHO 6-X scope, and from a bench. Also had a fifteen shot group just under 2 1/2 inches with 13 going into 1 7/8 inches. Not bad, considering the loads were for another rifle.
Recoil was less than my 12 pound gun but still has some authority, especially from the bench. By the way, the load that seems to shoot so well in all my .45-70's is, RCBS 500 grain BPS bullet, cast 25-1, with SPG lube, seated to touch the lands, 66 grains GOEX 2-f, compressed @ .275",.030 card wad, Fed-215 Mag primers, Winchester brass, .002 neck tension, no crimp. This load usually give me 1150 fps out of a 30 in. barrel. I'll try 2 differeent loads later this week.
Remember, God shoots a Sharps Lead Slinger
Joe Burr

Post by Joe Burr »

Thanks! I bet that is an impressive sight...a sixteen pound sharps with an RHO scope...not that's a RIFLE!!! :shock: