thumlers tumbler problems

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

I put a small drop of 3 & 1 oil on each of the nylon bushings that the rods rotate in. This eliminated a lot of noise on mine and allowed everything to turn nice and smooth. The first time I used it I noticed that the rod ends were getting really hot and squeaking to the point of driving me crazy. Another modification I made to mine was to attach it to a board with some rubber feet on it. This also made it a lot quieter. Overall I'm really pleased with mine. It's not as quiet as my Lortran tumbler but the capacity makes it worth putting up with the noise.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

smoke eater, I experienced some of the same problems as you early on but traced it to a high humidity environment where I had the machine out in back of my shop. Sometimes the machine was "sweating" along with everything else around it and would slip with a load in it. I moved it indoors and haven't had any trouble at all and sometimes put a little more than 15 lbs of stuff in it. Just to be safe I run it only when I'm in the house but it works just fine now. Make sure your belt is dry. This thing is a blessing to a high volume shooter. Good luck!
T. Rebel
Chairman, Terrapin Creek FES
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I had to oil the nylon bushings on mine also, and I just ordered a new belt and rubber barrel seal from Thumbler. Give them a call, they will help you out. 1-800-225-1017, nice folks. Mine has done a jillion brass and rocks and.....................................
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Smoke eater, the problem lies in a contaminated belt and/or pulley wheels. Take the belt off and wipe it down with a clean paper towel and alcohol, the clean the pulleys and the rubber rollers with alcohol and wipe the portion of the drum that rides on the rollers with alcohol and let everything dry well. YOu will be amazed at how quite it runs after this cleaning. Keep all oil and lubes away from the unit. This should fix your problem. :) Randy
Randy Ruwe