Electronic Ear Muffs

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Todd Birch

Electronic Ear Muffs

Post by Todd Birch »

Up to now I've stayed away from electronic muffs finding them to be outrageously expensive.
I just bought a set with the brand name "Radians" at a fraction of the usual price.
It's going to be a while before I'm comfortable with them as they magnify every sound around you. I was sliding some .22 rounds down the mag tube of a plinker and it sounded like I was dropping rounds down a mortar tube!
They would be excellent for receiving and giving instruction.

I learned that the two microphones only perform their function of cutting out high decibel noise if they are facing the source of the noise. Otherwise they amplify! So, if your back is turned to the noise source, your best bet is to turn off the electronics.

If you are easily bothered and distracted by chatter around you, they may not be the answer.

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

Todd: Had a similar experience. I bought a set to use for sporting clays and tried 'em hunting. They amplified the background noise so much they were pretty much useless for hunting; unless of course you want to listen to road noise and the other distractions the muffs don't filter out and amplify. I also tried 'em with my Sharps but couldn't get the right cheek weld using 'em so they are pretty much dlegated to shotguns and handguns...everything else is earplugs.
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]
IronSight

Post by IronSight »

Todd, been considering electro muffs OFF and ON for a couple years now. Don't know if i'd want them now after reading your post. It would seem the electro muffs would be extremely distracting for a person who has difficulty with concentration - such as myself. Can the amplification of background noise be turned down or off altogather?

Besides, if i happen to be having one of those bad days at the range the last thing i need to hear is someone having a conversation down the firing line and picking out the words "HORSE SH_T shooter" :oops:
IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT WORK..AT LEAST MAKE IT LOOK GOOD!!
crazeyiven

Post by crazeyiven »

I bought a pair of Browning about a month ago. While not cheap they are nice. They also allow you to tinker with sound levels, etc.

They are also VERY comfortable. I'm not sure what's in the padding around the ears, but it is nice. After a bit, you sort of forget you have them on.

This set will also let you hook up a Walkman, cd player, etc to pipe in music during those long shooting sessions....maybe the Quigley soundtrack!?
David
Todd Birch

Electronic Muffs - the pros & cons

Post by Todd Birch »

Ironsight

Yes, you can shut out the 'noise' by simply switching the electronics off. Then you have a heavy, expensive, standard set of ear muffs with batteries you'll never use.

I've done my best shooting while wearing both foam plugs and ear muffs - total isolation, which enabled me to concentrate. I need all the help I can get and the fewest distractions.

As far as playing a soundtrack goes, that's exchanging one distraction for another. How about a recording with the mantra - "Watch your front sight, check the wind flags, front sight, squeeeeeeze...."?

You know, positive programming leading to visualization, leading to actualization, leading to the desired results.....

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

All of the audiologists I have seen discuss this have said that the electronic ear protectors do not provide adequate protection. The do not cut off the dangerous sounds quickly or efficiently enough. They all said that the foam plugs rated 30 db or above and properly inserted, are the most protective, as well as the cheapest.
Lee Stone
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

Todd and ironsight, I recently got a pair of electronic muffs make by Peltor and have been real pleased. I believe you can get ones now with different strengths of amplification. The ones I have basically bring what I hear just to "normal" decibels and I don't get any overexageration of sounds. I got these because I was having trouble comunication with my spotter with earplugs or regular earmuffs.
Todd Birch

..muffs...

Post by Todd Birch »

Hey Tasman

That may be the solution - tune one ear piece to your spotter and shut out the rest of the world.

Most of us have hearing loss as a result of shooting and/or industrial noise.
It's no longer "macho" to endure high intensity noise.

What's the point in being "macho" if you can't hear the soft sounds while hunting, the frequencies of most women's voices.....hmmmmn.....well, on second thought......

Todd
Dave Shaw

Post by Dave Shaw »

Hi guys :D

Just to add my bit, as I am deaf (about 60% down from the average) from birth and wear hearing aids in both ears. I find the electronic muffs a great help, they cut out the real heavy noise but allow me to hear what people around me are saying around me.
Bought mine from the local hardwear discount store, a LOT cheaper than froma gun store.
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Todd:

I've been shooting with electronic ear protection for several years now and I have found them to work very well. In some of the competition I shoot, ISPC, IDPA, you fire rounds out of a pistol from the inside of a car or through a barrel where the sound would be terrible. During this shooting I have had no ill effects due to the protection not being adequate.

I have been using "Proears". and I have a backup pair from "Peltor". The "Proears, while not the cheapest I think are the best. Mainly because of the service offered with their 5 Year warantee. Sound Familiar?

http://www.pro-ears.com/

They make a slim profile model that works decently with rifles.

The sound can be adjusted on each side for your comfort. They are especially good at a range as you can talk with someone and hear them without taking them off due to other shooters.

My wife who has a hearing problem, loves them because turned up they allow her to hear the turkeys coming to the blind from about 80 yards away and it makes someone concious of the noise they are making when hunting. Then when you take a shot, your ears aren't ringing to beat hell.

They are pretty cool.

My $.02 worth.

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Todd Birch

....muffs....

Post by Todd Birch »

Like I said, they do work.

I just found it odd that they only cut out high decibel level sound when facing the source.

I used to own a real neat little .30-'06 (BSA Monarch) that I could hold out like a pistol with one hand, loaded with a scope. Shot like a hot damn too.

I sold it because it had a muzzle brake that while it worked, pelted your ears mercilessly with the blast.
A 'smith has since told me that he could have simply sleeved the brake and I'd have been able to stand the muzzle blast. Hard to believe that rifle was also offered in .458 Winchester! That must have been a real sweetheart to listen to.....for a few rounds, before you went deaf.

A good use for these 'tronic muffs we're jawin' about.

Todd
taw1126

Post by taw1126 »

I've been shooting with Peltors for several years now and love them; they cut out noise rapidly (if you drop a cartridge on the shooting bench you won't hear it land) but still let you hear range commands, conversations, etc. The one change I made was to "flip" the muffs upside down on the headband. Peltors (mine anyway) have a fat end and a skinny end, and are shipped so that you would be wearing the fat end at the bottom of your ears. By flipping them so the skinny end is down you can get a much better stock weld.

In either case it beats the "system" I used during live-fire training exercises in the Army. In that situation I would wear one ear plug for protection so I could "shoot, move, and communicate" without fear of getting shot because I couldn't tell what my team members were doing.

Trey
Todd Birch

...'tronic muffs...

Post by Todd Birch »

Hey Trey

I guess don't have a very full face or a target stock 'cause my puss don't come anywhere near preventin' me from gettin' a stock weld wearin' the muffs.

Mind you, I don't shoot prone neither - I sit in the military x-leg position or stand most often.

Todd
Omak Cowboy

Dillon ears

Post by Omak Cowboy »

I bought my first electronic set from Dillon maybe ten years ago and could not be more pleased.

They are completely adjustable for noise level via a 'tuning' knob on the right side of the muffs. I can adjust them up or down so that I can either enhance my hearing far beyond normal human levels or tune it down to equal that of normal muffs.

The loudest gun I own is a .300 Weatherby Improved with a muzzel break. That damed thing rattles the benches on either side of me and does make me ANY friends for at lest 30 feet left and right of the muzzle. Without the break it's not too much fun on the rear either. With my Dillon muffs its not a bit of a problem. I think they are about $150 and absolutely worth every penny.

I also have a pair I use in my wood shop that way I can hear a phone, or a car passing and still be well within safe levels.
Omak
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
Harlan Sage

Post by Harlan Sage »

My wife uses a Walker and I use a Peltor and we couldn't be happier. We wouldn't shoot without the electronic muffs. You can turn down the aplifier to a comfortable level and still hear the hit on the 1000 yard gong.
We don't have any problem with cheak to stock in any position. When spotting for each other we don't have to disturb the entire firing line with our communication. They also came in real handy when shooting in North Dakota in March with the wind blowing, we kept our ears warm and hear everything when not shooting.

Harlan
Just Shoot...EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!

Guns Have 2 enemies, Rust and Politicians!