Sharps trivia

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Todd Birch

Sharps trivia

Post by Todd Birch »

In the current (June) issue of Hanldoader Magazine, there is an article by Brian Pearce on the history of the S&W New Century "Triple Lock" .44 Special revolver.
He mentions that according to S&W historian Roy Jinks, the barrels for these and other revolvers were made on machinery purchased from the Sharps Rifle Company in the late 1870s. It was used right through the 1970s before being retired.

That says something for the original equipment as the S&Ws were known for their target accuracy.

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

Todd: WOW!! Didn't know that! A really interesting bit of trivia! Thanks for posting it.
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

Another bit of interesting trivia for those that have not visited Big Timber yet is that they are using a WW2 vintage setup to drill their barrels. It was moved from NY when they moved to Montana. It was originally used to make barrels for the war according to Lucinda. If you haven't gotten a chance to visit Shilohs plant it should be on your to do list in the future. You will not regret the trip.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Todd:

Thanks for the information. Heck, I wonder where they were retired to. Good stuff for a firearms museum.

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Todd Birch

...Shiloh plant...

Post by Todd Birch »

Last I heard, if you didn't have a rifle on order, the Shiloh plant vas verboten.

I own two and have dibs on a third, but none of them were ordered in my name. Guess that means I'll never be admitted into the inner sanctum.

Re: the Sharps/S&W rifling machines, S&W might be able to tell you if they were scrapped or stored.

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

Todd: I don't think the factory is "verboten". Both of my Sharps were purchased from dealers that purchased them from Shiloh. Thus, they were not orderd by me personally from the factory or purchased from the factory rack. Nevertheless, I've been invited by Kirk to visit several times; I just wish I could get out there!!! The Shiloh folks are nice folks that make a superior product and support it. Therefore, I also support them. Drop 'em a note when you're heading that way and see what they tell ya.
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

Todd, I find it very hard to believe that you only get to see the inner workings at Shiloh if you got a gun on order. My mother was traveling with me and she went through the plant with Lucinda and I and she wouldn't know a Sharps from a Remington 870. BTW she was really impressed with the plant and especially with the way we were treated by everyone, she talked about it all the way home.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I don't think that is at all true, the folks at Shiloh Rifles are the most accomodating I've ever seen. I would bet a pay check you would be welcome, and get a tour if they are not just so busy they couldn't.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Todd Birch

..the Shiloh plant....

Post by Todd Birch »

Hey Guys

A lady friend and I stood in the Shiloh showroom drooling at the display board. We were on our way to a cowboy shoot in Cody. We identified ourselves as Canadians from British Columbia, a two day drive.

I was asked by a nice lady behind the counter which rifle I fancied. I pointed to what I currently own - The Business Rifle in .45-70.

That was a first to her. Most people go for the fanciest, most gussied up rifle with all the options.

I then asked her if I could see the works. I was asked if I had a rifle on order and when I said "No", permission was denied.

We then went to the premise of the "other guys" down the street and were instantly admitted into the shop.

I'm not saying anything disparaging of the Bryant family or the Shiloh staff, just stating the facts. They were busy and simply didn't want the distraction.

Todd
Rick Crabtree

Post by Rick Crabtree »

The Sharps boring and rifling machines where manufactured by Pratt & Whitney.
" I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees"