40-70SS Chamber dimensions

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Troll

40-70SS Chamber dimensions

Post by Troll »

Kirk,
You've said the 40-70SS chamber dimensions are based on the winchester .405. I'm looking to start aquiring components before my rifle arrives and trying to make sure I get what I need. I assume the chamber for 40-70 is 2.5 opposed to the .405 being 2.58 inches with everything else the same. So, do I need to just trim the brass back 0.08 and ready to use? Also is there a recommended case trimmer or trimming method. I'm not to worried about price, just what works the best.
-Finese is choosing the right size hammer
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi, From what I have seen you may be better off using the stretched 30-40. The 405 seems to be awfully heavy, which can mean neck reaming and modifying the size die. If you don't mind going through this you will wind up with some very nice brass. Thanks Kirk
Troll

Post by Troll »

Is there anyway I can get the chamber cut for this brass. It would seem to be the way to go since I think the 405 brass will probably be of higher quality and easier to obtain than the stretched 30-40. MLV mentioned in his book to pick a brass you want to use and try to have the rifle cut to meet it for the 40-70 SS. If it can be done, let me know the extra exspense and I'll send Lucinda the check. My order starts with 145* and is a #2 Creedmore Sillhouette.
Josh A.

40-70ss

Post by Josh A. »

Troll, I have been shooting a 40-70ss Shiloh for several years now. Don't fear the 30-40 stretched. I have been shooting the same 150 rounds of brass all this time and it is still going strong. I am guessing they have been loaded 25-30 times apiece. I am still getting excellent accuracy. I don't know how the 405 brass could be of any higher quality than the 30-40 I have been shooting.

By the way, I have another Shiloh 40-70ss on order and it will digest the same brass as my current.

J
No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: “The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!”

I hadn’t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

Troll

The 30-40 stretched brass is good.I baught 200
Lead Pot

Post by Lead Pot »

:lol: Just lost the mouse and it got posted by mistake :lol:

Troll

The 30-40 stretched brass is good.I bought 200 when I was waiting for my .40-70ss.Well needless to say I had to pull the bullets because they would not fit the chamber.I wasent thinking streight when I loaded the brass.I just necked sized them and seated the bullet.(I would sugest waiting on the loading till you get your rifle and fit the empty case.)
I full length sized the cases and everything went as planed.

As far as the stretched brass,I used up over 6000 primers loading those 200 cases,some have been loaded more then others,and just my last two outings I had two cases separate,and only one split a while back.I cant find any fault with them.I just retired them.I ordered 200 .405 Hornady cases to see how consistant they are.

Kurt
Troll

Post by Troll »

Sounds like the best bet is to wait till the rifle gets here.
Poison Slinger

Post by Poison Slinger »

I shoot a 40-70ss on a Ballard action. I tried some of the other brass options (other than the 405's) and ended up getting brass from Rocky Mountain Cartridge. The stuff is match grade, consistant and correctly headstamped. It is not as cheap as other brass, but it is the best I have seen and used.

Rick
Cody