TWIST AND LAP

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

LT

TWIST AND LAP

Post by LT »

What is the twist on Shiloh 45/70's? Are Shiloh barrels lapped? If not why not? Thanks for your help---LT
Troll

Post by Troll »

I pretty sure the 45-70 is 1-18 twist.

The rifles are button rifled and therefore do not need lapping. Lapping should only be performed on rifles with cut-rifling, which leaves alot of raised metal and defects when performed.
-Finese is choosing the right size hammer
LT

Post by LT »

tROLL' Then why do Shillen,Lilja&Hart lap there button rifled barrels? LT
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi LT, our 45 barrrels are 1-18" and no we do not lap our barrels. You do have a good question though, I have always wondered myself why they lap buttoned barrels. I have tryed it and I really haven't seen any great change in accuracy. I have always figured if you ream the same direction and spin of the bullet and then you pull that big oversize button through, going in the same direction as the reamer did and as the bullet will be traveling, it doesn't leave much room for burs or any reason to lap. This is the best answer I can give you, hope it helps, Thanks Kirk.
deerhuntsheatmeup

inside quality

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

Friends,

Having a Shiloh and another model of BPCR rifle, I can attest to the quality of a Shiloh barrel in comparison to another of the finest barrels made. I have NEVER gotten any lead out of my Shiloh using 30-1 and sizing .458. Never! Accuracy is what I am all about and my Shiloh is a much better shot than I am. If you look down a bore scope and really examine a Shiloh barrel, you will see why they are as good as any.

Good Luck,

David Barfield