Set Trigger

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

George Denys

Set Trigger

Post by George Denys »

Hi Folks, I have a Shiloh Hartford in 45-110 and was wondering about the proper procedure for using the set trigger. I was told that you should only check the pull with the hammer down all the way and never at half cock. Why is that and can it be damaged by doing so? :?: Thank you George Denys. www.borderrangers.com
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi George, the only reason you don't want to do it in half cock, is the sear is locked into the tumbler and that big heavy set trigger will eventually break the sear tip off. Thanks Kirk
gpeak

Post by gpeak »

Hi George,
Glad you posted your question! That info is good to know. Also good reason to make sure the hammer is cocked prior to squeezing off a (non) shot. By the way I am in Virgil NY and the Border Ranger tag caught my eye. Just got back from the range. Put the first 20 rounds through the Quigley. Wow! Iam impressed! Second 100 yd target had 4 shot group size of silver dollar. I can tell you it was the rifle not me. It has been several years since I have done any substantial shooting.
Also need to find out more about the Border Rangers sometime.
Craig

Straight shooting, straight talk.....the mark of a man.
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

Craig, I may not be reading your post correctly but if I am, don't pull the trigger with the hammer at full-cock if a round is not in the chamber. In other words, don't dry-fire with the hammer fully cocked or you can break the firing pin. The metal Shiloh uses is much better than the originals I think but we're still dealing with a design of something 125+ years. Good luck!
T. Rebel
Chairman Terrapin Creek Chapter FES
gpeak

Post by gpeak »

Thanks Tas,
I was referring to lining up your sights on the safe position and then forgetting to bring the hammer to full cock and setting the trigger. Dry firing on an empty chamber is a definite no-no. That is why God invented snap-caps! Thanks for your reply!
Craig

Straight shooting, straight talk.....the mark of a man.