Todd Birch can you help me???

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mrrangerman

Todd Birch can you help me???

Post by mrrangerman »

Hi Todd

I was told that you shoot a 43 spanish RRB, I was wondering if you could help me with a good place to start with a load?

Thank you
Dan[/b]
If you aim at nothing in life, you will hit your target every time.
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

Load up with 2fg Goex so that when you set a milk carton wad and news print disc under the bullet you will have no more then 1/16 to 1/8inch compression while seating the bullet ! Then dump out the powder and weight it ! That's is your load to start with ! I would use the mauser bullet rather then the lyman bullet as the mauser bullet has larger grease grooves ! JAGG
JAGG
mrrangerman

Post by mrrangerman »

JAGG

Thanks for the reply, I found out that my RB has a free bore, so I have some Basic brass coming in from B.A. so I can make the proper length case for this thing.

Can you tell me were I can get the MAUSER bullet? I am casting the Lyman and hope to make it work, but if it doesn't, I'm game to try something that will.

Thanks again
Dan
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Dan,

I've cast the chambers of 3 .43's, and they all accept cartricge cases 2.555" long. You may want to do a similar cast.

When you get the BA basic brass, you should specify the thickest rim they supply. I think it's close to 0.088". If you don't, you can expect separated cases on the 2nd firing, and case stretch in the 0.025"+ range on every firning.

Clarence
mrrangerman

Post by mrrangerman »

Clarence

Thank you

Can you tell me what dies you used to form the basic ? I was reading a post from Todd and I think he said he couldn't use the Lee die without cutting the top off the die. I have access to rcbs dies, will they work?
And what would be the proper way to size the basic? You know, should I size first, then cut close to length and then resize? I'm sorry for so many questions. I could use any help you or anyone can give me.
One more question and I'll let you be (for now) what is the max. velocity the 43 can take safely? I just don't want to push this gun past safe limits.

Thank you again for any help you can give me.
Dan
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Please send me a PM with your e-mail address, and I'll send you and anyone else who wants one a copy of the article on the .43 I wrote for the Single Shot Exchange in 1999.

Yes, you do need to cut the top off the Lee sizer, since it is only long enough to FL size brass of nominal length. It's not a problem, just takes 5-10 minutes and a diamond blade in your hacksaw, and about the same amount of time to lap the inside edge smooth.

Clarence