Color Case Finishes question

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Sky C.

Color Case Finishes question

Post by Sky C. »

Howdy Shiloh Team-

I was wondering what the difference is between the standard color case finish on your rifles and the optional "pack hardened" finish.

Any special considerations for either as regards maintenance and keeping the colors looking good?

Thanks-

Sky C.
wolfie

Post by wolfie »

the bone pack has much better colors with better paterns i will have this done on my next one as it was not avabile when i got mine.check out the right up on doug tunbull in this months american rifleman great photos.
B.J. Spalding
"I came I saw and I forgot why I am here."
SHILOH#1
Rickd

Post by Rickd »

The optional "bone & charcoal case hardened" finish is the way it was done 130 years ago. The receivers were hardened by a heat treatment in a mix of charcoal and bone meal and one of the results was some pretty interesting color developments in the finish...blues, gold, yellow. Shiloh does this very well. Doug Turnbull of Turnbull Restorations is known for his color case work. Very classy.
Lucinda

Post by Lucinda »

SKY,

IF YOU GO TO OUR CUSTOM FEATURES AND THEN TO THE METAL FINISHES ON OUR WEBSITE, YOU WILL ACTUALLY SEE A CLOSE UP VIEW OF BOTH FINISHES. AS YOU WILL NOTICE, THE PACK HARDEN FINISH HAS STRONGER BROWN COLORS MIXED WITH THE BLUES AND THE COLOR CASED FINISH IS VERY STRONG SWIRLS OF BLUES. STRICTLY A CUSTOMER PREFERENCE.

LUCINDA
Sky C.

Post by Sky C. »

Hello Lucinda-

Yes- I see the differences in the colors. What I was trying to understand is...

1) The Shiloh 'standard color case finish' - what is the method used? I'm familiar with the charcoal/bone pack hardened process.

2) Any special precautions or recommendations for how to maintain the colors for each type. Many older oiginal guns case colors faded. If there is a good way to preserve the nice job you folks do for your Shiloh's - I'd like to know so as to give them the TLC that they deserve. My understanding is that some types of 'color case' methods are chemical treatments that may be damaged by use of some solvents. I'd hate to learn the hard way.

Thanks-

Sky C.
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Sky C.

Good question. I figured I would post, so when an answer is given, I'd be notified.

Thanks,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Rich Siegel

Post by Rich Siegel »

I have the original color case finishes (not the bone finish) on my Shiloh's and I purchased my '63 carbine used. It had seen four or more years service in N-SSA skirmishes and I've used it for four more years. That's a fair amount of shooting including practice in all sorts of weather. The only wear I really can see is that the colors on the loading leaver are starting to fade, in some places they are gone. Also from cleaning, the area on top of the action, just behind the breech, that is cut for the paper cartridge to slide into the chamber, has some shiny spots from the cleaning rod tips.

As a side note, I have a six year old #1 with the heavy barrel that has not been shot much and I baby the gun. The only wear I can see on it is the barrel blueing. It has worn on the corners of the flats under the barrel where I rest it on sand bags or cross sticks.

Rich
Sky C.

Post by Sky C. »

Back to top - Hoping to learn what the Standard color case method is and how to care for it.

Thanks-

Sky
Smokin

Case color

Post by Smokin »

Sky C,

The colors you see on the steel from the case hardening process are oxides and make up a relatively delicate finish. As I understand it, the french gray finish is case hardened metal which has had those oxides gently and precisely polished away. Therfore, uncareful handling can too quickly wear away the colors, as is sunshine supposed to increase the rate of fading of the colors. So don't abuse the finish and it should last into the next century, but it will by then be patinized. An artful word for a classy finish.

Good luck
Smokin

Member in tall standing of the Frozen Tundra Chapter, Flat Earth Society.
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Some of the Senior Shooters that I know claim that a light coat of True Oil will help to preserve the colors....
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi Sky, No matter what you do with color case, it will fade a little, it takes a long time to do this though. Use the old stock slick by TDP, you will find it in the catalog and it will preserve it and make it look good to. The only way to completely preserve color, is to keep it in a dark room and never let hand acid or sunlight get to it. Thanks Kirk