Bullet Dilemma

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Don McDowell

Re: Bullet Dilemma

Post by Don McDowell »

Zack gave some pretty good training tips. I would change up the bit about the red aiming point to just using one of the 3d archery targets as real elk don't having premarked aiming points.
I would also forget about the building a nest with the backpack thing, Just learn to shoot prone the natural way, but spend more time developing sitting or kneeling as either of those will get your line of sight over grass, downed logs, rocks etc.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Minerat

Post by Minerat »

Also keep in mind that this winter has been really hard on our elk population. They reduced the hunting days each season and cut the number if tags up to about 60% of normal so not only will it be harder to get a tag you will have a limited time to hunt. This will be especially true if you are not using a guide. For those interested here is a link to explain more.

https://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/N ... ewsID=3826

Another thought carrying a 13# rifle into elk country is not my idea of fun. Hunting from 8000 to 10000 feet above sea level compounds the problem, unfortunately we used up most of the air at those altitudes when I was young and spry :D . Sorry about that. My 300 WBY is heavy enough after a long hike from the road.

Hope you are successful too.
Steve,

NRA Life Member
CRC member
Minerat

Post by Minerat »

Minerat wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:37 am Also keep in mind that this winter has been really hard on our elk population. They reduced the hunting days each season and cut the number if tags up to about 60% of normal so not only will it be harder to get a tag you will have a limited time to hunt. This will be especially true if you are not using a guide. For those interested here is a link to explain more
I forgot it only applies to the NW area between Maybell on the west and Steamboat in the east, north of HWY40 to the Wyoming line. They plan to give us wolves in this area soon too. That should help the largest heard in Colorado recover... NOT!
Steve,

NRA Life Member
CRC member
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

We counted 117 dead elk in the bar pit from Meeker to Craig on our way back from Phoenix this past April
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

77 sharps wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:49 pm It’s unfortunate that the BPCR chat rooms are dominated by target shooters. There are virtually no discussions on loading proper hunting ammunition or how to properly manage the rifle. It’s been over 10 years ago that Bill convinced me that keeping shots under 200 yards is just silly. Currently my maximum range for taking a shot at game is 350 yards. I’m confident that my shot will land within a few inches of the intended spot. I know that there’s others that can do the same but it seems to be a secret how to do it. While my Sharps rifles lack the muzzle velocity of the 300mag, I find it to be a more liable killer.
Bullshit. Anytime you like, come on out and I'll put a paper plate up at a random distance between 300 and 350 yards. One shot, cold bore, from a field position. You hit it 10 out of 10 times, then I will be convinced. I'm telling you, you can't, and if you can't do that, then taking the same shot at a live, unwounded game animal is unethical. For most good riflemen, 150 to 200 yards with a BPCR rifle is about the maximum.
Cody Smith
77 sharps

Post by 77 sharps »

Unlike target shooters, hunters don’t have the luxury of sighting shots and cleaning their rifles bore between shots. There are no sighters for hunters and no bore cleaning. We can’t make do with inferior modern grease groove bullets and poor lubes made from waxes and greases, or improper wads. The components used in proper hunting load are different from target loads and the loads are assembled differently. Some years ago I offered to show Cody how to do it, but he can’t be bothered with PP bullets. Before calling bullshit, maybe he should find out what he’s talking about. Not only can I hit a paper plate 5 times in a row between 300 and 350 yards, I can do it without blow tubing or wiping. But as stated earlier, I do need a range finder.

As far as ethics go, I seldom have to fire more than one shot and I don’t know how many tons of meat I’ve hung that’s been shot with my Sharps. One last thing to consider, the Sharps rifles got their reputation both on the rifle and hunting ranges using paper patched bullets.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

I must say 77 Sharps you make some mighty interesting statements there.
Very interested in finding out more.
Where is your website where these arts you mention of hunting with a black powder cartridge rifle can be found?
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Nothing in the rules say you have to take sighters wipe or blow tube maybe it’s time for you to hit the firing line to show your stuff?
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

Consistently hitting a paper plate at 350, I believe we have a new match winner, shooting consistently such groups, and shooting dirty, the hy grail!
77 sharps

Post by 77 sharps »

I am surprised that you whiz kid target shooters are not confident that you could hit 5 pigs in a row. In essence that’s what Cody is asking for. That’s depressing. Note that I didn’t say anything about 400 or 500 meters. That’s in the realm where clouds, time of day, and wind are too unpredictable. I like to hunt, but I really hate having to chase wounded animals, it affects the flavor.

I was warned that you would shout me down, that’s why there are no threads for loading hunting ammunition. Get Rywell’s reprint of Sharps literature, the directions are there, then do your research on proper components to do it. Christian Sharps’s really knew what he was doing. Properly loaded, they are more accurate than I had imagined.
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

Yes, it is true that hitting 5 pigs in a row at 300 meters is not at all uncommon in BPCR silhouette. In fact, I hit all three sighters plus 10 in a row just yesterday.

If you hunt in a place with no wind, more power to you.
But, with my silhouette load for my 45-70 Shiloh '74, if you mis-guess the wind by more that about 3 mph, you will no longer be on that paper plate.
And there are very real environmental and physical differences day-to-day that can require elevation changes of more than 2 minutes of angle, which would also put you off of that paper plate.
And of course not everyone has an absolutely perfect break every shot....

I respect your confidence, but do have some doubt about judgment.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Nobody is shutting you down, but when you wade into throwing bullshit around, you probably best be prepared to prove up.
Surprise fact for you , a great many of us lowlife target shooters hunt as well.. And we have learned a bunch as Aviator points out a slight misread of the wind and what you just thought you touched off as a perfect shot in the pocket just took the hind leg off of your quarry.
Lot of difference between shooting high fence critters from a stand and hunting elk in the high country.
So let us know where we can see the score results of when you show to a sillhouette match and hit 5 pigs in a row with no sighters.
bryany

Post by bryany »

Any guesses as to which reincarnated old dead guy he is?

Billy Dixon
Jack O'Connor
Elmer Keith
P.T. Barnum
“I wonder if God created man because He was disappointed with the monkey.” Mark Twain
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Frank Meyer?
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Don McDowell said "Frank Meyer" reincarnated. Now that is downright funny! :lol:
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....