Stretched .45-90 brass

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

blkpowderbuff

Stretched .45-90 brass

Post by blkpowderbuff »

Shooters,

I have 84 pieces of "stretched" Remington .45-90 brass that Buffalo Arms made from .45-70 cases. The brass is in good shape. I tried to sell it on GunBroker and folks told me it's impossible to make 2.4 brass out of 2.1 brass. I told Mr. Gullo at the Q that he has done the impossible. If you shoot this brass and need more cases, I am entertaining offers. I also have 11 Starline .45-2.4 cases in great shape to go along with them. cptyree@snet.net if you want the brass.
Kenny Wasserburger

Re: Stretched .45-90 brass

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

There are no sales of anything on this forum.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Kenny Wasserburger wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:32 pm There are no sales of anything on this forum.

Kenny Wasserburger
X2 :!: :evil:
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
blkpowderbuff

Post by blkpowderbuff »

[Thanks, please forget I mentioned it. I just hate to see brass go to waste when it's so hard to find. I found a home for it.

Chuck
Cotton Eye Joe

Post by Cotton Eye Joe »

How do you stretch 45-70 into 45-90? I never would have guessed that was possible. I bought the starline 45-90.
bryany

Post by bryany »

In the time before Starline, Buffalo arms formed all sorts of brass into other hard to get sizes. They still do a surprising assortment of cases when source material is available. Although called stretched brass, I think the 45-90 was mechanically lengthened on a lathe from Remington (heavier than Winchester) brass.

Bryan
“I wonder if God created man because He was disappointed with the monkey.” Mark Twain
RB1Shooter

Post by RB1Shooter »

If you are able to sell it, I suggest you also give the purchaser a copy of the Ulsher stuck, separated case removal procedure, they will need it.
Woody

Post by Woody »

I just loaded 100 rounds of original length 38-55 "stretched" W-W. I purchased these years ago from BACO way before Starline offered the long and short versions of the brass. The only 38-55 I currently have is a circa 1896 Winchester 94. I have yet to have one of these cases fail. They were originally intended for a Ballard Rifle and Cartridge High Wall and served well in that rifle. Both the High Wall and this original Model 94 have the original long chamber.

Woody

PS: I do have a bunch of the Starline long brass, but have not had to use it.
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
semtav

Post by semtav »

RB1Shooter wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:12 pm If you are able to sell it, I suggest you also give the purchaser a copy of the Ulsher stuck, separated case removal procedure, they will need it.

Hmmm?
Been running the stretched R-P brass in my 40-82;for a long time with no issues.

In an ideal world we would have an unlimited supply of Norma basic to trim to what ever case we needed.
RB1Shooter

Post by RB1Shooter »

A stretched 45-90 case is a bit different than stretched 40-82. Even though both cartridges 2.4" in length, the 40-82 is a bottleneck cartridge. Being a smaller diameter, there is more brass available to "stretch" as compared to the 45 caliber. Consequently, the 40 caliber has a thicker case wall. Think of it this way, when you make a 40 caliber case from a 45 caliber parent, you are essentially squeezing the cartridge down and the excess brass has to go somewhere which, makes it longer. A visual example; a tooth paste tube. You open the cap, nothing happens until you squeeze the tube. By reducing the diameter, the toothpaste extrude's out the end. Same principal, as you reduce the size of the case, the brass extrude's towards the weakest end, the cartridge neck and it gets longer without reducing the case thickness. A bit of a gross example and not totally accurate but, understandable.

Now assuming you are strictly using black powder, when the powder ignites and the lead bullet expands, it slightly stretches the cartridge. The stretch on the 40-82 is mainly only down to the bottle neck vs the straight cartridge which stretches from it's weakest point. That weakest point being where the original case stretch started from. In manufacturing, if the pull / stretch is not perfectly even around the circumference of the case, you have weak spots, which can be seen by channels or uneven case sides in the stretched brass. Overtime, between the burning powder and the bullet expansion slightly stretching the case, those weak spots burn through and in some cases, causing a full case separation. Consequently, one would use the Ulser stuck, separated case removal method to quickly and efficiently remove that piece of cartridge from your chamber.

Thus my point, if you are going to give or sell stretched 45-90 cases, I suggest also supplying the recipient a copy oh the Ulser stuck, separated case removal proceedure; someday they will need it.

Cheers!
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

Been using stretched 49/90 from 45/70 in my target rifle with 88gr 1.5 Swiss and a 540gr bullet for at least 10 years with no issues…. Now I have regular Starline cases for that rifle but, I still use the stretched 45/70 cases in my 45/90 original 1886 Winchester and I have yet to have an issue….
Tom Klinger
RB1Shooter

Post by RB1Shooter »

There are many factors which go into how well they due: your case prep and post shooting care, case length control, the amount of use, bullet design to name a few. You have done well, congratulations.
bryany

Post by bryany »

Experience on this forum says it is not a great concern. Certainly no greater risk than any other type of case. Everyone should be aware of the causes of case separation and have a plan for removal. I have stretched a couple but no separated ones. I have helped recover from separations.

Bryan
“I wonder if God created man because He was disappointed with the monkey.” Mark Twain
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

I had a brand new Starline 45-90 case (1st firing) separate on me. I suspect that moisture in the chamber may have contributed to it, but I don’t know for certain. No other incidents since. One of my friends speculated that it might have been a defective case.

The case split at about the midway point with the front half going into the rifling a little ways. Got it pounded out with a cleaning jag and patch.
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

Man, I shot lots of rounds of R-P stretched 45-70 brass. Didn't have alot so I had to reload the same brass for every match and at that time was shooting 6-10 matches during the summer. Never had a separated case. Lasted many years, before I went to Starline.