black powder pistol cases

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mike herth

black powder pistol cases

Post by mike herth »

What's the best way to clean corroded cases? After 3 hours in a tumbler with Dawn and media there's still some blue corrosion showing inside.
kwilliams

Re: black powder pistol cases

Post by kwilliams »

Mike are you using stainless pins or ceramic media? Also a dab of lemi shine helps.
kw
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

Thanks Kim, I'll run them again with Dawn and Lemishine this time. I use ceramic media. The cases were from rounds I fired years ago and forgot about.
Mike
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

If they are that corroded I would question the strength of the brass. It may very well be unsafe,

George
bpcrshooter62

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

hi shiloh sells liquid brass cleaner you can add to you tumbler and half a tea spoon will have them like new inside and out it is the best and fastest stuff i have found that works well in my 26 years of cleaning black powder brass
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

Something else to consider trying is use Simple Green instead of Dawn. I had some rifle cases that were pretty nasty looking with green stuff all over them. A few hours with simple green, lemishine and ceramic media and they looked new again.
Sam
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

If i load the tumbler too full the cases they dont clean as good. Try 50 or 75 at a time. So they can really make contact with the media.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

And the outcome is:
After 3 hours in the tumbler with ceramic media,Dawn and Lemi Shine, the cases came out great. Thanks to all for your suggestions.
RB1Shooter

Post by RB1Shooter »

Mike,

Try soaking cases in Dawn overnight, 12+ hours. Using ceramic media, I prefer shaker to tumbler but each has it's own merits. Whatever you use, put 2 cap fulls of Shooter II in the media and fill to top with cold water. Turn on and let clean for 4-5 hours, like new.

It works like a champ.