UNIS (Bosnian) Primer Warning Lot # 0413

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

SpanishPeacock

UNIS (Bosnian) Primer Warning Lot # 0413

Post by SpanishPeacock »

Tried these primers for the first time today. Loaded 10, 30-30 Win rounds with the UNIS primers and 100 with Win LR primers to compare the same loading. All Win primers fired reliably. All UNIS primers Lot # 0413 misfired. I tried the UNIS primers based on comments on the web for being good primers, but my first experience was pretty bad. Not sure if it is isolated to only this lot #, but since primers cannot be returned after purchase, be warned that one person on one lot had 100% misfires. Any misfires are distracting during range practice. Definitely, irritating and frustrating during a match. Just one incident to share.
PhilRich

Re: UNIS (Bosnian) Primer Warning Lot # 0413

Post by PhilRich »

They are a military type primer that require a sharp firing pin strike to ignite. I use them in one rifle, but find they don't work in a different rifle.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Yeah, have used these, definitely need a heavy firing pin strike. Good in a trapdoor.
Limber Up!
SpanishPeacock

Post by SpanishPeacock »

Yes, I figured they had a harder primer cup than domestics. Probably harder than CCI No. 34s, which so far work reliably in all my rifles. I'll will try the INIS with my black powder rifles and maybe salvage the use of them. Can't trust them at a match though. Typically my match rifles have lower hammer spring loading, but maybe the set trigger rifles will work. Thanks for the comments.