Cleaning brass

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

BillR

Cleaning brass

Post by BillR »

For those who shoot black powder cartridge, how quick after you shoot do you clean your brass, and with what?
Thanks
Freedom First
"I'm the NRA"
Woody

Re: Cleaning brass

Post by Woody »

You don't have to be in a hurry. Once fired, the brass will look gross, but in reality it is not damaged by not soaking, not rinsing, or not taking care of it for a few days or weeks. Once home, rinse, and clean with ceramic, or stainless pins. Both work just fine. I de-prime at the range but wait until I get home before I do anything else. I tumble in two Thumblers, one fast and one slow. Both work equally well.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

The brass cleaner soap that Buffalo Arms sells is very good @ $11.00 a qt. A couple tablespoons is all the is needed for about 1/1.5 hrs in a Thumblers Tumbler B model . And what Woody said.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

Today I cleaned some brass that I had shot in early July. It was soaking in a jug of water for the duration and it was pretty black when I got to it. Not corroded though. Few hours in the thumblers tumbler with ceramic media and the soap that Greg Vest sells and it’s good as new.
bpcrshooter62

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

HI well all i can tell you is i have been doing this for many years now and when i take them out of the tumbler they look like new inside and out !!!
I de-prime my brass at the range then i put them in a plastic jug of water and a cap full of TKO orange. They stay in there till i have time to shake the container up and pour out the mix then i rinse them again in the jug with straight water then set them out to dry. When i get home and have time i put them in the tumbler with stainless steel pins and a cap full of the brass cleaner Shiloh sells it is the best stuff on the market for cleaning your brass like new. I have tried the stuff Buffalo Arms sells and IMO there is no comparison at all !! Shiloh wins hands down. It might cost a couple of dollars more but in my life i have found that you get what you pay for !!! Well its up to you but if you try this method i am sure you will be very happy with the end results. Keep shooting have fun and enjoy :D :D :D
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

$90.00 a qt. for the Shiloh brass cleaner seems a bit pricey for some soap.
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

Nothing I've tried over the years gets the insides shiny like new, but haven't tried BA cleaner yet. I use ceramic media in a Thumbler's and settled on Dawn dish soap. I don't need shiny outsides but would like cleaner insides.
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Just did 100 45-90 cases this morning, lemi shine, micro dab of dawn, stainless pins, minimal water and 35 min's run time in low rpm tumbler. Perfect job and cheap to do. No case peening.
kw
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

"$90.00 a qt. for the Shiloh brass cleaner seems a bit pricey for some soap."
--Randy B.

The complete ceramic media kit is US $115.00. If you order just the soap, the web page says to subtract $90.00. When clicking on just the soap and the page shows $25.00 per quart.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

Yes I see that now and added it to my cart until the shipping cost :o $38.58 for a qt. to ship 250 miles. I can do the B/A for significantly less with the same results,clean brass inside and out. Appears to be the same stuff.
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Randy H: agreed shipping is expensive these days. And the new UPS driver's contract has not yet taken effect. Dollars to donuts the other shipping company drivers will want the same contract when they negotiate ithe companies. Also heard that postage is going up again sometime this year. As a good friend allays say about price increases: "BOHICA"!

Never tried the Buffalo Arms cleaning solution. I still have some of the Shiloh "soap" and use 2 capfuls in the Thumbler's Tumbler and water.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

In years gone by both Shiloh and B/A sold the Dave Mauer cleaning solution and ceramic media , neither refer to Dave Mauer media or the cleaning solution any more however I have seen no difference in the performance of the detergent.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Lemi shine + dawn for dishes + water = clean brass.
bobw
bpcrshooter62

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

ya i bet you it might be clean but not shinny like new inside and out lol :D :D :D
bobw

Post by bobw »

Clean is what I'm concerned about. Bobw
bobw