Something other than M-pro?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

kwilliams

Something other than M-pro?

Post by kwilliams »

OK it works, used it for 3 seasons. I hate the sticky tackiness residue on my hands, delrin wiping rod and stock. Just finished another Wyoming shoot this weekend and the grit adheres to everything the M-pro has gotten on, even a rag drags on the rod trying to kept it clean. Any other carbon remover out there that has less draw backs? I shoot PP and use bore pigs that are WET, so the juice is everywhere.
thanks
KW
dougf

Re: Something other than M-pro?

Post by dougf »

I used to use NAPA water soluble oil but found it would separate and go rancid after awhile. I tried Mpro7 and it seemed to work just fine, but I had a gallon of Slip2000 725 gun cleaner/degreaser so I just decided to try it. It seems to work fine for me, I can't tell the difference between that and Mpro7 - but I am not sure I gave Mpro7 enough of a test. It does not leave residue - and even has a tendency to dry your skin. Being a degreaser as well as a cleaner I assume it removes the oils from your barrel and does not have any lubricity that might be a factor when wiping. That being said, I like how well it cleans. It is about half the price of Mpro7. I make sure re-oil after a shooting session.
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

I started a few years back using Napa, Ballistol, antifreeze etc. they where all friendly to work with, but Mpro is better for carbon and fouling control. I am going to give Slip 2000 a try next. To me the Mpro is a magnet for the wind blown range grit which is at every match.
kw
dougf

Post by dougf »

I'd been interested in your results. As I said, I didn't use MPro7 enough to evaluate that it might be better. You may find Mpro7 does work better. I didn't seem to notice a lot of difference than when using Slip2000. I also didn't notice the issue you are experiencing with it having enough tackiness to attract dirt and grit, but I only used it at the range under good conditions.