Quigley match calibers

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Shadow 4

Re: Quigley match calibers

Post by Shadow 4 »

JonnyV wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:58 am but I would agree with outlawing smokeless, duplex, pyrodex, etc.
And what about you? You get covid again? Bump your head? stub your toe?

WTAF is going on?
Cowards rule the world these days.
Coward rules & coward customs
To succeed today, all you've got to know is how to blame & how to complain
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

Haven’t had the rona in almost three years…no toe stubs either. Have taken a bunch of shots to the head over the years though. Outside of that, no idea what you’re talking about.
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

Sorry forgot that I had an ablation and had posted elsewhere....here's what's up.

I had what's called an ablation on my heart. Basically, they go up through the artery in your leg and kill a bunch of spots on your heart that are sending the bad electrical signals. They killed about 60 or so spots on my heart like that. I passed my first follow up, now have to start in working out at half my previous level and see how it goes. Another follow up to go. If all goes well, I am good to go for load workup and practice and then the big match at Ben Avery in Jan/Feb.
Shadow 4

Post by Shadow 4 »

Bobw did bump his head but is feeling better now, so all is well
Cowards rule the world these days.
Coward rules & coward customs
To succeed today, all you've got to know is how to blame & how to complain
hipshot1

Post by hipshot1 »

In 2015 Buz did a survey
51% - 45-70
13.5% - 40-65
12% - 45-90
This is the top three .
A man must standup before you can see how long of a shadow he will cast
hipshot1

Post by hipshot1 »

2015 survey
65.8% blackpowder
21.2% smokless
9.1% duplex
3.9% bp subsitute
A man must standup before you can see how long of a shadow he will cast
hatman

Post by hatman »

hipshot1 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:37 pm In 2015 Buz did a survey
51% - 45-70
13.5% - 40-65
12% - 45-90
This is the top three .
Thanks for that!
Cessnapilot89

Post by Cessnapilot89 »

Would I be able to use my 40-60 Maynard highwall at a Quigley match?
semtav

Post by semtav »

Yes. In fact that caliber may have contributed to a father daughter trophy.
However, according to the Desert School of Statistical Uncommon Sense , if it hasn't actually won the match, it would be pointless to take it.
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

Cessnapilot89 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:16 am Would I be able to use my 40-60 Maynard highwall at a Quigley match?
Blackpowder shooting allows for a high degree of individuality. The Q has seen just about every black powder era cartridge used in the match. Just because 45-70's are the most numerous don't mean that another round like the 40-60 can't do just as well. It all comes down to the shooter holding the rifle. The other thing to remember is that the Q is mostly a large social event where there happens to be a lot of shooting going on more than it is a serious match.
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

"where there happens to be a lot of shooting going on more than it is a serious match." I sorta disagree. For the Many that drive and spend big bucks to attend, it is a serious match. Yes there is plenty of camaraderie, but the competition is keen between shooters, even for the local Montana boys. I don't see it as any less a serious match as any others I attend, my challenge is to improve my previous scores.
kw
semtav

Post by semtav »

Charlie

We missed you this weekend!!!
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

JonnyV, I posted about 2 hrs ago a response to your "not a serious match". But I took it down hoping for someone to respond in a more civil way. That being said until you've actually been in the position to win any part of the Quigley you really don't have any idea just how serious it is. Probably one of the highlights of my shooting endeavors. Scope match 2009. And if I'm not mistaken that score still stands.

Semtav, yep, I really missed going to the match this weekend. Been a crazy year, everything just seemed to fall on the wrong weekend. Hopefully next year, I'll get back in the swing.
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

Post by kwilliams » Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:54 pm

"where there happens to be a lot of shooting going on more than it is a serious match." I sorta disagree. For the Many that drive and spend big bucks to attend, it is a serious match. Yes there is plenty of camaraderie, but the competition is keen between shooters, even for the local Montana boys. I don't see it as any less a serious match as any others I attend, my challenge is to improve my previous scores.
kw

charlie young wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 3:36 pm JonnyV, I posted about 2 hrs ago a response to your "not a serious match". But I took it down hoping for someone to respond in a more civil way. That being said until you've actually been in the position to win any part of the Quigley you really don't have any idea just how serious it is. Probably one of the highlights of my shooting endeavors. Scope match 2009. And if I'm not mistaken that score still stands.

Semtav, yep, I really missed going to the match this weekend. Been a crazy year, everything just seemed to fall on the wrong weekend. Hopefully next year, I'll get back in the swing.
This was my third year. First year I shot 19 (have 24 officially, no idea why), last year I shot 29 (10 point improvement), this year I shot 35 (good enough for high scope and a first place trophy). Next year I'm going to break 40. Maybe go well over 40, we'll see. I have a lot of work to do to get there, but I also have a solid plan for daily drills, and weekly off-hand live fire practice.

I take the Q very seriously, however I can also see that most of the people at the event are there to have fun and meet up with their buddies. When talking to people who might be new to the sport and thinking on heading to the Q, I think it's better to emphasize the fun they're going to have and the friends they're going to make rather than paint a picture of heated competition for them. If we're lucky, they will make the trip and enjoy the event. Then, they can decide how far they want to take it.
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

JV, check your PM.