Quigley match calibers

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Cessnapilot89

Re: Quigley match calibers

Post by Cessnapilot89 »

Thanks guys!
Traded into a High wall in 40-60 Maynard along with dies and components. Figured it might scratch my itch until my Sharps is built. Guess I could always use my trapdoor.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

How many of the Q shooters also shoot BPCR Silhouette or Target Rifle?
semtav

Post by semtav »

Cessnapilot89 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:01 am Thanks guys!
Traded into a High wall in 40-60 Maynard along with dies and components. Figured it might scratch my itch until my Sharps is built. Guess I could always use my trapdoor.
If I can get my ducks in a row , gonna try my new
To me 40-50 BN hiwall at the mini Q.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

ian45662 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:59 am How many of the Q shooters also shoot BPCR Silhouette or Target Rifle?
probably 10 maybe 20%
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

ian45662 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:59 am How many of the Q shooters also shoot BPCR Silhouette or Target Rifle?
Cessnapilot89 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:01 am Thanks guys!
Ian, from what I've seen, a lot of people shooting silhouette and target make the trip to the Q on a somewhat regular basis. There are many people though for who this is there only event of the year. The Q in an excellent entry point for people who aren't tight with any other shooters yet. Kinda like Pedersoli rifles are a good entry point for people looking to get into black powder shooting. The cost is low, the reward is high, and it encourages a person to grow in the sport.

CP89, your 40-60 will do fine at the Q. Get yourself a nice mold from BACO or Steve Brooks and start working on developing a load and shooting the rifle. Hi-walls are very competitive rifles and a lot of the top shooters use them. You can also check out my YouTube channel "Recoil Therapy Channel" and get everything from driving directions to the range to watching complete strings of fire so you'll know exactly what to expect when you get there. Too many people refer to the Q as a "once in a lifetime trip"....it's not. It's a "once a year trip". Youre gonna love it.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

I would really like to try it sometime. I had some friends that I shoot with made the trip for the 2023 shoot. Going to some shoots out west would certainly be a very fun experience.
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

Best reserve a hotel room soon...there were 598 shooters this year. Forsyth is a small town only a few hotels. Most stay at the range in RV's.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

ian45662 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:56 am I would really like to try it sometime. I had some friends that I shoot with made the trip for the 2023 shoot. Going to some shoots out west would certainly be a very fun experience.
Drag your camper and enjoy the trip. Lots of historic sites along the way and in the area you and Deans would get a kick out of.
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

Don McDowell wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:20 am
ian45662 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:56 am I would really like to try it sometime. I had some friends that I shoot with made the trip for the 2023 shoot. Going to some shoots out west would certainly be a very fun experience.
Drag your camper and enjoy the trip. Lots of historic sites along the way and in the area you and Deans would get a kick out of.
She really really wants to go. She shoots the sillywets sitting. Going to the Q we would all be sitting of course. She would probably do well.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Best practice up shooting pigs off hand
The bucket is 350 yards off hand😳😃
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

Don McDowell wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:34 am Best practice up shooting pigs off hand
What are the dimensions of the offhand target?
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

How many of the Q shooters also shoot BPCR Silhouette or Target Rifle?
Think about this.

These 3 shot the IRONMAN at the Desert International Long Range Black Powder Target & the Q: Gullo, Venhous, Farringer, off the top of my head.

Last week, four of the five TEAM USA World Champion USMLIC ML Shooters shot the IRONMAN at the Desert International (DI) Long Range Black Powder Target Rifle event at Phoenix, Arizona, before travelling to Hungary.

If one is truly interested in shooting better, if not well, at the Q or anywhere else for that matter they would come to the Desert International to prove themselves, their rifle and load before attending any other match. The DI is where you build the abilities to shoot well in competition.

It is also where you discover that the wind is your friend. :wink:
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

https://www.quigleymatch.com/target-info.html
That link should open up to the target pictures and descriptions.
Keep in mind that if you're going to be in the running for the big prizes, you might be able to miss one shot per target and still do ok.
If you get lucky in the draw and can shoot the buffalo first thing in the morning it helps a bunch. Sharpen up on wind and mirage reading skills, there are no flags and no sighter shots. So getting in Wednesday and getting some rough sight settings will be a help. Trying to get sight settings on Friday is a zoo, that's a good day to go see the range riders museum in Miles City.
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

ian45662 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:44 am
Don McDowell wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:34 am Best practice up shooting pigs off hand
What are the dimensions of the offhand target?
target info and photos...

Don beat me to it...getting there days in advance is a great idea. I don't shoot too good so I get there the Sunday prior and start shooting Monday (and taking copious notes on wind). A guy who had a good handle on what he was doing could show up Wednesday and do fine.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Better yet show up at the Big Hill and shoot that match the weekend before the Q