45/90 reloading dies

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Yosemite Sam

45/90 reloading dies

Post by Yosemite Sam »

Can 45/90 reloading dies adjusted to be used to load 45/70?
thanks K
I HATE rabbits
Andre

Re: 45/90 reloading dies

Post by Andre »

they won't adjust low enough to seat and crimp but most don't crimp anyway. Seating is usually a slip fit into unsized cases .
Yosemite Sam

Post by Yosemite Sam »

so... if I got a separate 45/70 seating/crimping die then I could use the 45/90 dies for the first steps?

trying to not have to buy a full set of dies since I have these.

K
I HATE rabbits
Woody

Post by Woody »

The reverse works easier. (Using 45-70 to load 45-90). If you are going to buy a separate seating die, just buy the whole set. Then you will not have to adjust your expanding die back and forth either.

Woody

PS: Since I have several 45-70's, I did purchase a separate seating die for each, as that is the only difference between them. I found them on "evil-bay" for a lot less than I could have otherwise purchased them.
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
VBull

Post by VBull »

Use a .45-70 die set and make a shim .300" to go between the die and the press body. I use a piece of stainless boat rail material but they can be made out of PVC pipe, etc... Easy with a lathe but can be made with a hacksaw and a file.
I use additional shims for different bullets to compensate for their lengths. Set the seating die up for the shortest bullet and shims for the rest.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Frank,

I use an aluminum spacer for my neck sizing die to neck size both 70 and 90 without changing the die. I also use a thinner spacer on the 90 seating die so that I can crimp or not without changing the lock ring. I crimp for my Winchester 86 45-90.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

I don't crimp, so that's not an issue with me. For different .45-70 (and .40-65) rifles/loads, I use Redding competition seating dies. They are adjustable in 0.001" increments, and all I need to do for each combination is to log the setting. (I also have a Meacham in-line die-I purchased compression plugs that Steve made for it, so I also log the settings for each combination and dial in what I need for each load.) Easy to use when working up loads and then when loading different combos.

Clarence
VBull

Post by VBull »

Woody,
Keeping it simple frees up time for other pursuits.
I also use a "bullet plug" to seat the wad and compress the powder. It is just an adjustable aluminum or steel plug that is threaded on one end with a jack screw and nut. I set each plug to match the bullet and use it with the bullet seating die to compress the powder after the wad is inserted into the case. It saves a set or 2. Have been making them for the locals.

It's grape harvest and wine making time here for the next month.
Frank