Challage or food for thought for all you pros out there lol

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bpcrshooter62

Challage or food for thought for all you pros out there lol

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

OK here is the thing. I have had many others telling me follow through is so important !!! Now here is the ? for you all lol

If your bullet is leaving the barrel at 1200 fps and you have a 30 inch barrel
that is 1200 divided by 2.5 = 480
so in one second the bullet will have had enough time to have left the barrel 480 times
once the trigger is pulled by the time your body can move the bullet has left the barrel
why do you say fallow through is so important lol

Ok this should get a lot of responses as i know there are a lot of people that do nothing but preach about this at least they do to me a lot lol :roll: :roll: :roll: :D :D :D
Aviator

Re: Challage or food for thought for all you pros out there lol

Post by Aviator »

I'm not sure what a "challage" is, but it must have something to do with your desire to "get a lot of responses"........

It's OK with me if you decide to ignore follow-thru.
But you seem to ignore the lock time, ignition time, and bullet acceleration time.
bpcrshooter62

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

OK well to me follow-threw to me is what you do after the trigger has been pulled so there for the lock time, ignition time, and bullet acceleration time have all-ready happened :roll: :!:
bpcrshooter62

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

Its not like we are into rapped fir with these guns :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :D :D
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

You don’t really need a “discussion” about this with other people; your own targets will tell you if follow-through is important or not.

Get into the habit of lifting your cheek off the stock in order to see past the smoke where the bullet is going right after you fire the shot. When I do so, I find to my amazement that Superman isn’t the only dude who is “faster than a speeding bullet,” regardless of the actual physics involved.

I read somewhere about a bunch of crack High Power shooters who decided to practice indoors with .22 rifles in the off-season. They found that they had to rebuild their shooting stances, going back to the basics and practicing them rigorously before their .22 scores started to approach what they were doing with their regular rifles. The speed of the bullets in the latter, and the recoil allowed the slightest bit of sloppiness in their follow-through to establish itself, unnoticed. The slower bullet from the .22 had no such forgiveness, and there was no recoil to cover it up.

These blackpowder guns are, in a sense, the worst of both worlds, with the slow bullet and the distracting recoil to cover up errors. But, if you find that you don’t need to bother, te salud!
semtav

Post by semtav »

It may not actually be about follow thru but what poor follow thru does to actual trigger pull.
Spend all of next year jerking your head up to see if you missed the target then let us know whether your score has improved, stayed the same or gone in the tank.
bpcrshooter62

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

Well thanks SEMTAV but they all tell me that that is what i do now so so now what lol :D :D
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

If you shoot a flintlock offhand and shoot it well in competition, you will learn all about follow through.
kw
semtav

Post by semtav »

bpcrshooter62 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:54 am Well thanks SEMTAV but they all tell me that that is what i do now so so now what lol :D :D

First gong match I ever shot, Al Lee walks up and says " son, quit jerking your head up to see if you missed,"

Never forgot it.

Not that I don't do it occasionally.
Woody

Post by Woody »

OK well to me follow-threw to me is what you do after the trigger has been pulled so there for the lock time, ignition time, and bullet acceleration time have all-ready happened :roll:
None of that happens until after the trigger is pulled.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

if you don't follow through the next thing you know you will raise your head then pull the trigger. You would slowly get faster to raise your head up. Just my opinion.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

To me, the amusing part of this thread is that it appeared here at all.

And I second that which Aviator offered: "It's OK with me if you decide to ignore follow-thru." Especially if you are shooting in a match with me.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
bpcrshooter62

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

dd this was posted to give you guys all a chance to chatter since its cold out now lol :D :D :D

I would enjoy shooting against you as you put it but i dont think that will ever happen lol You are a long long way away from me lol :D :D :D
bohemianway

Post by bohemianway »

Simply practice in your basement with a spring air rifle and you will get all the answers you need.

Charles
omgb

Post by omgb »

A spring air gun has to be the most frustrating gun to shoot. I got so fed up with several of mine, I gave them away and bought a PCP gun. I never looked back.
Reece Talley
James Madison Fellow
Cal Hunter Ed Instructor/NRA Rifle/Shotgun Inst.