NRA

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

DeadEye

Re: NRA

Post by DeadEye »

Thanks for the reply Don, I hear what you're saying. Sad but true.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Yes with it hard to muster a bunch of shooters anymore bptr and to a lesser extent sillhouette is slowly fading out. It wasn't that many years ago when the monthly matches at Byers would draw 20 shooters, and I hear that Lodi would field 40 or more, and that just monthly matches...
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
krgriggs

Post by krgriggs »

I may be wrong but this is what I think, the competition section of the Nra hasn't done anything to me that I would call real negative. Aaron Farmer has been very easy to work with and they are supporting our National silhouette
match this year at Raton. The NRA has all the records and a classification system and a set of rules that can be changed if we as shooters communicate with them to get changed if needed. I was not around for the BPTR program termination so I guess that is not in my history. I have been shooting silhouette for over 20 years. I noticed when registering the nationals silhouette match that they still have BPTR in their system. I guess if you believe in the almighty there is a thing called forgiveness that is in there, I try to do that as it keeps a positive outlook on the sport I shoot. I guess I am the odd man in the room and realize that there is a part of the NRA that was not right and it looks like they know that now! I am sure if shooters wanted to we could get the BPTR program started again with shooters running nationals like we are doing in NRA silhouette. Whittington has a fine facility for it.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Give a shot Kevin just get it scheduled in cooler season so the temps don’t hit 130+ on the mat.
My two pesos worth
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Kevin, my hat is off to you and the whole group that is running the match this year. Yahoo it is nothing short of fantastic! I want to encourage anyone interested to go. I am sure it will be a great time. When I talked about not going back to the NRA, I meant as far as my range and my matches. Other than entering a match, I will not contribute to the NRA in anyway until they demonstrate change has truly occurred. There is a difference between forgiving and forgetting. I am quick to forgive and slow to forget.

I think a BPCR Association would be good regardless of how much or little the NRA does. At best, the NRA Competitions department is way understaffed and could use help. I am sure they appreciate help from a group of shooters dedicated to the sport (like what you guys are doing). Instead of Tapping Hill running the match, the bpcr association would. At worst, the NRA decides to completely drop anything BPCR and the association would be in place to continue the sport on. Just something to think about.
Cody
krgriggs

Post by krgriggs »

The NRA I am talking about is the competition division which has been mostly ignored by the nra as of late. Aaron Farmer is the person there now with very little in staff. But there is alot of information nra has on their competition website. You can look up records that were shot in most disciplines including bptr and silhouette, some
of your names might be in there, mine is not but it’s is a part of our history that we do not want to lose. Without the nra helping tappanhill out on the NRA Nationals in 2024 it would be very tough to put on with just shooters registration fees to put on a quality match. In my opinion the NRA competition division is our friend, as long as we get numbers of shooters to our nationals they will continue to support us as they have not abandoned us yet.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Kevin here's a thought.
If the Tappan Hill bunch is willing to give this a shot, see if there's 6 days available on the Tubb range sometime mid to late August- mid to late Sept. 2 days midrange position, 2 days midrange prone using the 3,5 600 format, and 2 days Creedmoor 8,9 1000.
Maybe set up something where deposit checks with entry could be sent to you, and if there isn't 30 plus entries received by the week before the match date cancel it, and return the deposit checks.
That puts the weight of keeping the match on the shooters.
If the match is well run it's likely to grow , if not .....
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

Let's hope that with Lapierre gone along with his $1.3 million yearly salary plus all he stole on top of that that there just might be a little money for competition shooting. The 2nd amendment is important but promoting shooting is what the NRA was founded for. They've cut funding and personnel from the competition division until there is practically nothing left. After this trial might be the time to step up and try to rebuild whatever can be salvaged from the ruins.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

I'm real happy Wayne is gone, don't get me wrong... The thing is...

I spent north of $8000 dollars for my Benefactor level membership. This was in the 2008-2010 time frame. I didn't have the cash to do it, so I put that shit on the NRA credit card I had. I never bought anything on that card other than my increasing levels of membership. I had always paid my bill on time and never carried a balance for more than a few weeks. I was very proud of my membership and the "contribution" I was making. One day, they shut down my card. I had zero balance due and $15,000 available credit when they did it.

Turns out, the only "contribution" I was making was towards Wayne's party fund. The nra was making and selling flags emblazoned with "stand and fight", but the nra honchos were practicing "cut and run" instead. Nothing but a bunch of god-damned skeedadlers and cheats.

In my heart, I'm wishing that the nra could once again become a meaningful force in the world. Not holding my breath.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Jonny I am sure others have like tales. The thing is wlp is just the most visible corruption at the nra. The whole board of directors let him do that and all the business operations people let him get away with it. They all need to go. Wayne set himself up a 17.million dollar "golden" parachute retirement bankruptcy maybe the only way to get waynes' hooks out of the nra accts payable. How many people will pay annual dues knowing that their money is only going to Wayne Lapierre? Mine goes else where. You call them skeedadlers and cheats? More like felony level embezzlement and thieves all of them the board and all. bobw
bobw
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Amen Bob!
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

I agree Bob, it would be great if wlp and his cronies were prosecuted. Maybe James can make that happen, who knows? It’ll be a long time before the nra ever sees another dime from me.

OTOH, I would be happy to join up to a new black powder focused organization and pay dues and maybe contribute some to get things started. Don’t know how much… I’d like to see some things out of a new org:

1: BP focused.
2: Run by shooters with a BOD answerable to the members.
3: Hopefully include silhouette, gong shooters, and target as well. All things BP.

I’m sure that there are more things a new org should cover, but these things are on my mind now. This seems doable. Had an idea that I threw at Kenny the other day too…no one on YouTube seems to be putting out BP focused content (Kerry is the only one I’m aware of). There are some guys who use it occasionally (Tuco). More content would mean more people seeing it which might mean more people deciding to try it out. It’s an idea anyway.
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

WLP may be gone, but the NRA isn't done paying him! He's got a contract that will continue to pay him as much retired as he made in office until his death. At least we wont be paying for his over inflated expense account, and whatever funds he absconds with in the past!
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

bobw wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:11 am Jonny I am sure others have like tales. The thing is wlp is just the most visible corruption at the nra. The whole board of directors let him do that and all the business operations people let him get away with it. They all need to go. Wayne set himself up a 17.million dollar "golden" parachute retirement bankruptcy maybe the only way to get waynes' hooks out of the nra accts payable. How many people will pay annual dues knowing that their money is only going to Wayne Lapierre? Mine goes else where. You call them skeedadlers and cheats? More like felony level embezzlement and thieves all of them the board and all. bobw
Love it Bob! Great reply!
45bpcr

Post by 45bpcr »

Sometimes I think we're all our worst enemy

If you're a Biden voter, then you've voted for the demise of our sport.
Hope you're happy with your vote

Maybe you could vote harder next time and defend our rights.

Seems like everyone here wants to encourage participation in our sport.
And then, on the flip side, when a different venue is proposed, frequent posters spout words of wisdom about why it's wrong.

You all going to start the BPCR NRA?

Craig
Live Free or Die, Death is not the worst of Evils