My Ruger #1

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

omgb

My Ruger #1

Post by omgb »

A year ago, I bought a Ruger #1 in 45-70. A gentleman had custom built this gun with a heavy 30" octagon barrel and a Malcome 6X scope. Since my purchase I have had several opportunities to fire this fine gun. Friday was my latest excursion. I had two loads, one with 5744 and the other with Swiss 1.5. Both used the Lee 405 hollow base and both used the bullets sized to .459 and lubed with SPG.

From a bench, I was able to consistently put all shots into a single ragged hole at 100 yards. Black or smokeless it didn't matter. With Black, I held strings to 5 shots and blow tubed between shots. for the 5744 loads, I shot 10 consecutive shots at a stretch.

This is as good as I can shoot. I'm 68 with poor maculas in both eyes. The crosshairs are wavy. I just try to be consistent with the wiggles. To my way of thinking, the #1 is an exceptionally good platform.

Later that morning I also shot my rebuilt and rebarrelled 1944 M1 Garand. Here, my bad maculas don't seem to be an issue. I can shoot a steady 2-3" at 100 yards using Korean PMC surplus ammo.

My only gripe is that the Angeles Range is becoming increasingly unfriendly to shooters and expensive. The Senior rate is $22.50 per day. Now we have show ID and jump through hoops just to shoot. Not fun.
Reece Talley
James Madison Fellow
Cal Hunter Ed Instructor/NRA Rifle/Shotgun Inst.
Lumpy Grits

Re: My Ruger #1

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Check out Desert Marksman Range in Acton.
I was a member for 28 yrs.
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Take I-10 east.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

omega how is yourforend mounted? thanks art
omgb

Post by omgb »

Ill have to double check today but I assume it is a single, angled screw.
Reece Talley
James Madison Fellow
Cal Hunter Ed Instructor/NRA Rifle/Shotgun Inst.