Gun barrel and paper patch

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Aviator

Re: Gun barrel and paper patch

Post by Aviator »

Hey Don, if it makes you feel any better, there was ONE day of the Desert International that a muzzle loader finished 1st, and I suspect he was shooting paper patch bullets (though I don't know that for a fact).

In the Ironman, I was shooting a muzzle loader with paper patch bullets, and I finished 1st Muzzle Loader. Unfortunately, I was 7th overall, as six people shooting grease groove bullets kicked my butt...... :shock:
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Well you either win or you loose
. The type of bullet you shoot makes no difference. You go to a match and shoot what your rifle shoots the best and the rest falls where it does...
If you were shooting USIMLT rules you didn't have a spotter, dollars to donuts those greaser shooters did..So was it the grease groove bullet, or was it the spotter?
Was it the grease groove bullet or was it the trigger pull at the right time that determined the difference between winner and 1st place loser?
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

No, not at all Donny. They looked around, saw what is doing the winning and followed the winners example.
And, another way to look at it is: Winners shoot grease groove bullets.
Old saying: Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
bobw

Post by bobw »

2023 Montana 1000 high heat and variable winds won by Randy Elingrod with 24/40 60 % score shooting patch to bore diameter ppb's in a 45 2 7/8" shiloh bull barrel beat out about 40 other shooters which 85-90 % were greaser shooters. More than a few of them probably could have give him a run for his money if their bullets were as good. :lol: bobw
bobw
Luke

Post by Luke »

Tastes great!

Less filling!
Limber Up!
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

From a semi purist point of view many GG shooters are using smokeless, duplex or a "synthetic" black powder. The PP shooter invariability uses Black only, and in the spirit of the game. Blow tubing is out and swabbing is a meticulous ordeal that has to be learned along with bullet diameter and paper choice.
kw
letfly

Post by letfly »

Why is blow tubing out? Non traditional? Less effective? Thanks
bpcrshooter62

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

KW for your info all of our shooter out here at least shoot grease grove bullets and most use blow tubes some wipe not many though and all of us use nothing butt black powder !!!! :D :D :D :D
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

bpcrshooter62 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:23 pm KW for your info all of our shooter out here at least shoot grease grove bullets and most use blow tubes some wipe not many though and all of us use nothing butt black powder !!!! :D :D :D :D
Where's out here? You don't even id your state!
bpcrshooter62

Post by bpcrshooter62 »

KW lol That is because I dont live in a state lol I live in Canada Saskatchewan :D :D :D :D
bobw

Post by bobw »

letfly wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:14 pm Why is blow tubing out? Non traditional? Less effective? Thanks
Lefty, in mild Temps and high humidity blow tubing can work well. When you get to hot Temps and low humidity barrel temp increases at a higher rate drying fouling in the barrel faster contributing to less shot to shot consistancy by blow tubing. Your wiping routine stays the same to give a more consistant barrel condition from shot to shot. That is what I have found. Bobw
bobw
letfly

Post by letfly »

Thank You for the excellent answer.