Smokeless loads

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

D K Roberts

Smokeless loads

Post by D K Roberts »

Kirk, I've got a Montana Roughrider coming and plan on loading smoke less. Problem is I'm having trouble finding the right size bullet. Rem. has a 405 gr soft point that I had planned on using but have found out thru Rem. that it is .457" diameter and I know you recommend .458". Some other manufactures have the right size but are quite expensive and I'm not going to pay the extra. I've been muzzle loading for over 20 years so black isn't completrely out of the question. How much difference does the difference make. I plan on using the rifle for hunting but also like to punch paper so would like to have the most accurate bullet for both. I know most sharps shooters use black, I would prefer using smokless but I haven't seen anyone on the forum tell what kind of bullet they use or who makes it. Also, I use IMR4895 for my centerfire rifles and Hornady has a load for for the 45-70 with it, wadda ya think? Thanks, D K
Jim Watson

Post by Jim Watson »

Uh, load some up and shoot them at a target?
Tough work I know.
8iowa

Post by 8iowa »

DK:

You can use cast lead bullets with smokless powder. Get ahold of Lyman's #48 Loading Manual for a complete listing of loads for the 45-70.
NRA LIfe Member
NAHC Life Member
"Heaven is North of the bridge"
D K Roberts

Post by D K Roberts »

8iowa, thanks, I'll get a copy as soon as I can. I have found some cast bullets from Midway USA and Powder Valley but I was looking more for a jacketed bullet. I'll wait to check out Lyman's book before I do anything though. D K
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi Mr. Roberts, You can use any of the copper jacketed bullets, just load them up using good load data and everything will be fine. Thanks Kirk
D K Roberts

Post by D K Roberts »

Kirk, thanks for the help, it'll save me a lot of time getting started and thanks again for 8iowa's information. All I need now is MY RIFLE!!
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Check out the Accurate Arms web-site, they have a lot of loads listed for their AA XMP 5744 powder. A lot of people have had good results using this powder. Hope this Helps, Randy
Randy Ruwe
D K Roberts

Post by D K Roberts »

Omaha Poke, thanks for the A A website info. I checked it out and it told me what I wanted to know. I was mainly interested in chamber pressure and it appears the psi for their listed loads is well within safety limits. I usually shoot 308 and 30-06 and the pressures for those are considerably higher than the 45-70. thanks D K
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

DK,
Rest assured that if you are shooting a SHILOH, and you hotrod the 45 70, it WILL stay together. Go to the support forum and look for receivers posted on 21 Sept 2002. Kirk explained the manufacturing process for Shiloh receivers. They will hold any load that a Ruger will hold.
Trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
James M

Post by James M »

Trigger Dr,
I'm not finding Kirk's post on Shiloh's receiver construction process.
Can you find it ?
D K Roberts

smokeless loads

Post by D K Roberts »

Trigger Dr,
My posts only go back to oct. 2003. is there another way to find it of can somebody tell me how to get to it?
8iowa

Post by 8iowa »

DK:

I am not a fan of loading the 45-70 up to the 458 WM level. If someone wants to do this then let them get a modern rifle in 458WM or 416RM or whatever else floats their boat. Marlin became so concerned about safety that they created the 450 Marlin to satisfy the urges of those who want magnum performance.

The purpose in having a fine Sharps rifle is to re-live the experience of the late 19century hunters and target shooters. Once you get "hooked" on black powder cartridges, you won't want to put anything else in your Sharps.
NRA LIfe Member
NAHC Life Member
"Heaven is North of the bridge"
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

DK,
Sorry I tave you the wrong date of posting.. It was Nov 7, 2002. I think that Kirk deleted the post as it was rather lengthly. HOWEVER, if you E-MAIL me your address, I will send you a copy.
Trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
D K Roberts

Post by D K Roberts »

8iowa,
I agree with you 100% I have no intention of blowing out the barrel, just taking some of the rainbow out of the trajectory.. I've been hunting with muzzle loaders almost exclusively for over 20 years and have enjoyed them very much. By muzzle loaders I mean the traditional styled guns not the inlines. They're ok for some but for me they take the history out of it. Daniel Boone didn't hunt with a Knight inline!
D K Roberts

Post by D K Roberts »

Omaha Poke,
I checked out the A/A web site which brings up another question(s). It shows some loads with velocities from almost 1700fps to almost 2000fps for cast lead bullets, I thought 1500fps was about the upper lilmit for lead. What gives? Have I been misinformed? Thanks for the help. D K