So sick I could puke.......

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

deerhuntsheatmeup

So sick I could puke.......

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

Guys and Girls,

I am writing to give hard learned advice to anyone that is willing to listen. It cost me my Cherry Shiloh #1 and I have different feelings about the rifle now.

I picked up my rifle off the mantle Sunday at 12:00 noon and put it in the guncase(hardshell) and drove for 1 1/2 hours and took it out to shoot and the gun was spotted with rust. Polished barrel rusty, charcoal pack hardening, rusting, Kelley soule, rusty. Made me sick!!!!!! I am still sick. When I ordered my '74 I thought it would be the only one I would ever have. So I made the most of it and ordered Pres grade wood, polished barrel, and all the extras I wanted, not that I could afford them but I wanted them.

I called today and talked to Heather and it will cost 220.00 to re-polish the barrell and re-blue. I don't think I will do it as down here in MS the humidity will probably cause this to happen again. Not that I don't want my Sharps to look new but I don't know if I can ever feel the same about this rifle after I saw what happened.

Before anyone post anything about keeping the gun clean and oiled, I have several guns I have owned in this climate 30 years with no problems.
I have a soaked rag in my gunbox that is soaked with Rem Oil. I never had problems before so I think that the process I have been using has not been that bad. I have an original Renegade that has seen nothing but BP for 30 years and it looks like new.

Kirk, Is it possible that the polishing process takes off some of the blueing?
I thought the polishing process took place on the bare metal before blueing. Oh well, we are never too old to learn about how to take care of our prized possesions. I hope this keeps some of you from experiencing the pain I did Sunday.

Sick to my stomach, David Barfield
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Did you store the gun case closed & was it foam lined? I always keep my cases open to "air dry" the foam lining.

I have been told that unless there is some air circulation, the foam will attract & retain mositure.
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Deery, the same thing happened to me this past winter, and I don't have the polished barrel on my Shiloh. We shot a match during the rain, the rifle however did not get wet, but the standard Shiloh gun case was open during the match and the foam lining was apparently drawing moisture from the air the whole 6 hours of the match.

After shooting, I cleaned the rifle, and wiped it down with gun oil, put it in the case and drove home. Later that evening I took the rifle out to give it another rub before putting it in the safe. The whole rifle including the MVA sights had a fine layer of bright red rust on it. I also was just sick. I immediately stripped the rifle down and using just Kroil, rubbed it until I could get no more red or brown on the rags.

Now before putting my rifles in any type of case, I first put them in a silicone impregnated gun sock. Shot in the rain again the other day and had no problems when I got home. I found no pits or lasting damage to any part of the rifle or sights, just the scare that there would be, and that horribly sickening ultra fine rust.

I know what you felt like, believe me. That damn foam is more hydoscopic and BP. I also use the wife's hair dryer to make sure the case is dry before leaving home, and keep the case closed while shooting. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

David, that next to last sentence should read " more hydoscopic than BP. Sorry for the typo. Randy
Randy Ruwe
deerhuntsheatmeup

yep

Randy,

I keep the case open in my shop so it will be bone dry when I put a rifle in it.
The thing that killes me is the spots on the polished barrel that had rust on them, when I wiped with the oil soaked rag, went down to bright shiney steel.

Talk about hurting a grown sumbitches fellings........

Before someone gets the wrong idea, my Shiloh is the absolute finest example of the riflemakers craft that you have ever seen. rdnck said, "Something wrong with this rifle" what he said was in jest due to the beauty of the rifle that Shiloh made for me.

Like I said, I have found a new illness, Sharps Rustotious, makes a man sick as hell. Period!

Later, Sicker than ever.....
rdnck

What's wrong with the rifle

Post by rdnck »

Deerhunts--I heard about your misfortune. While I wasn't there, I was told that the temperature was 94 deg. F and the humidity was 86%. Foam works most of the time, but when it doesn't---

I think I remember saying when I saw the rifle that there was only one thing wrong with it. That thing being that it was too pretty to shoot, and that when --not if-- it collected its first scratch, it would break your heart.

It will take a while, but this too, will pass. The good part about all of this is that now you can clean it up, oil it, and shoot the daylights out of it and don't worry about the next scratch. There really is a benefit to having a rifle with an antique finish. I know, I have several. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Sharpsnut

Post by Sharpsnut »

Gents,
All my life I have been a perfectionist about many things.One of them has been the condition of my rifles.I used to make a big thing about a gun being in perfect condition and all origional etc.BUT several years ago I realized no matter how well you take can of ANY firearm they DO eventually show signs of such use.Blue wear at the corners,minute metal and wood dings are found on even the most WELL cared for rifles that get USED .There is just no way around it.So now I am more relaxed about my guns,finish wear is just a part of guns getting used and if I can't used them then they get sold..

Having said that,I will say this-The rust that formed on the polished Shiloh Barrel ,the Kely sight ,etc is no different than the rust that makes up it's BLUING on those parts! That's what causes the color of gun blue- controlled neutralized rust! So carefully,with some #000 steel wool and a good gun oil like Break Free,gently soak and scrub the rust off all the metal.Where the rust spots are removed you will probably see tiny spots where the bluing has been removed or disolored.If you can not see any actual pitting of the metal,some carefull cold blueing touch ups will probably make most of the damage simply disappear!No harm ,no foul.

I am not trying to talk you out of the refinishing job but unless it's well and truly "broke", I say why fix it?

As to your sinking feeling about your "cherry" ,"pristine" Shiloh,my Question is did you buy the gun to USE or LOOK AT? Over 100 years ago ,no doubt some Sharps owner,just like yourself looked at the "damage" he had just done to his formerly pristine new Sharps rifle while out hunting or after a day on the range.Those same rifles -many of them still in very nice shape and in collections to, carry the marks of their "life and times".Lives spent in the hands of men who built our nation.

So ,should it be with YOUR Shiloh.It will have a history too and your little accident in the gun case is it's first chapter.The story can ONLY get better from here!Once you get that rust cleaned up ,the quicker you get out and shoot it,the faster you will forget all about it's little finish imperfections..
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

Deerhunts, sorry to hear about your incident. I'm very careful with my sharps, but I use them and had put a ding in the stock of my Hartford within 2 weeks of getting it. Also put a scratch on the barrel of my #3 sporter 2nd time out (cross stick misshap). One thing I noticed is that you are using Rem oil. Used to go that route but noticed after leaving my guns in the safe for a week or so there really didn't seem to be a light coat of oil on them any longer. I found a gun oil made here in Ohio that is far superior to Rem oil. It's called Clenzoil and when you put it on your gun it will be there a year later, best stuff I ever used and don't have any rust problems on any of my guns anymore. If you can't find it you can order it direct at 800-oil-it-up or see it on the web at www.clenzoil.com. Give it a try I think you'll like it better than what your using.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hey David, don't kill yourself over it, it's a piece of metal!!! Give me a call or p.m. me and we will get every thing back to normal and happy again.

As for everyone else that is expierimenting with all of these stupid oils and cleaners, buy a can of the stock slick, made by TDP, which we sell, and you can worry about something else other than your gun rusting. I have used this for going on 15 years that I have owned the company and Wolf used it ten years prior. I leave Mt. sometimes 30-40 below zero and drive to Fl., Tx., or ect. 50 to sometimes 80 above without taking the guns out for sometimes a week. When we take them out they are soaked at times, but guess what? Not a rust spot on them, inside or out. We get back after a trip like this and open them and they have ice on them, again, no problem. The butte state match rained hard both days and the old MLV kept the match going, we sprayed the guns down, including under the forearm, put on the rain suits and shot, had no trouble, in fact we went through 2 cans spraying other peoples guns. Some of you that have been able to visit my shop, have looked at these rifles along with our shooters and placed orders off of them, these are the same guns that have looked like they were thrown in a swimming pool from time to time, a couple of them are going on 10 years old, and have never been touched up. I hope this will help. Thanks Kirk
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

David, sounds like that rifle is wore slam out, rusty, pitted. I'll be glad to take it off you hands for, say, 1500.00? It does have some nice wood though.
Sharpsnut

Post by Sharpsnut »

TazReb-You are a "true humanitarian" :wink:
Omak Cowboy

restoration

Post by Omak Cowboy »

David, don't let this get you down. Kirk says he can fit it, and I believe him.

I would very much like to see befor and after photos of the work. Please understand, it's not that I doubt for a moment the quality of work nor of Kirks word but I've long been interested in any kind of restoration work and would love to see what can be done.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
Bombay club

Post by Bombay club »

:shock: David
a few weeks ago I left my two Shiloh's locked in a foam lined case in my Tahoe for about two three days,being so busy that I did not have the time to clean them & just left them there sitting in the driveway.
when I finally made the time,out came the case in the house I went,unlocked the case & swore for the next few minutes,my new Montana with the 34''was covered with beads of moisture,the #1 was dry,you can well imagine my panic,I cleaned both the guns & breathed a sigh of releif,It had been raining the entire time that my guns were in the Tahoe.Lesson learned was never leave the guns in a moist environment in a foam lined case,I was lucky,you learn & move on.wish you the best time will heal & you will be back where you wanna be!

anything famous has some history behind it!
deerhuntsheatmeup

TR

Taz...........

I would not want to take advantage of you. $1500.00 would be way too much to charge you. Us being shooting buddies and all........

I know my rifle is a clunker, but I still like it best of all...it needs a good name.

Lets work on that this weekend if I get some more ammo loaded......

Later, David Barfield
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

Will do. Now you can shoot the heck out of it and not worry about it. I wouldn't worry too much about it. To be honest, the only place I ever worry about rust is in the bore. As you know I don't mistreat my guns but the're going to be shot and shot often. I like pretty guns too but they are just a tool(albiet a kinda expensive tool) and if I'm lucky all of my Shilohs will eventually have a lot of blueing worn off. I ordered another gun last week and am getting a jump on the wear with an antique finish. I'm a lot more concerned in how accurate they shoot and I know your gun is a shooter. Don't sweat it(pun somewhat intended).