Receiving my rifle

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Steve Silverman

Receiving my rifle

Post by Steve Silverman »

Dear Sirs,
My rifle will be ready in a few months. My friendly neighborhood gunshop tells me they will charge $100 to receive it. Is there any chance that one could receive this rifle (mfg this year) with a curio and relic licence, or do I have to go through a regular dealer with FFL.

Steve Silverman
James M

Post by James M »

Steve,
Does your dealer's $100 fee include registration?

James M
Received my Shiloh catalog :D waiting for my engraving order kit
Planning my Sharps order, lots of Photoshop'n
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Steve:

Where are you located? Surely there is someone else that will do the transfer for less than $100.00.

I live in the Dallas area and for $25.00 you can find plenty of dealers that will do it for you. Some only charge $10 if you have a CHL.

I'm surprised it's is so expensive.

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
gpeak

FFL transfer fee

Post by gpeak »

Hi Steve,

The answer to your C & R question is no. Can't use one. I checked with Shiloh for similar reasons. $100 is a rip-off. Many dealers wil do it for $25-$30. I had mine shipped to a dealer in DE where I used to live(no sales tax!) who charged me $30. Check the Shotgun News website. They have a network of FFL dealers who are very reasonable. Congrats on your choice of a Shiloh. You will love it!
Craig

Straight shooting, straight talk.....the mark of a man.
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Steve, if we knew where you were maybe some of the forum users could lead you to a good FFL. I agree, $100 is nothing but a rip off.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Steve,
Check with the local gun clubs. If they are NRA affiated, they usually have an FFL for buying members guns. If you need to join the club to take advantage of their license, you have the added benefit of a place to shoot.
Trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

These FFl dealers here in California don't care and will make as much off a transfer as the market will bear.

James M.,

Try Turners Outdoorsman, they used to just charge for the transfer and paper work and no profit.

Kelley O. 8)
James M

Post by James M »

Kelley,
I calling Turners, but they only do person to person transfers, not FFL to FFL. I called Lock, Stock & Barrel(gun seller to Sirhan Sirhan), and they want $50 for their FFL plus an additional registration fee. Finally I called Bain & Davis, another famous Gun store, and was quoted $80 including paperwork. I'll be checking Shotgun news asap.
rcasto

Post by rcasto »

My gunsmith does this free of charge for me. If you have a local gunsmith, he may do the same or charge a nominal amount. It's just something he does because I bring my business to him. Just a thought.
RC
Kodiak

Post by Kodiak »

Well, $100 is a little tall. I got my Shiloh Sharps this week thru my local gunsmith here in Missouri and it cost me $10. Keep checking around, you should be able to beat that $100 bill. Good luck,
Steve Silverman

Receiving my rifle

Post by Steve Silverman »

Whoa!! A landslide of responses. Thank you all. I will follow all your advice. My dealer explained to me that people can buy guns off the Internet for cheaper than his store, and then come to him for the transfer. So I kind of understand. The only things is that I am a long time customer, so I would think he might give me a break!! I put enough money into his store to be a stockholder already!

Anyway, I live in Costa Mesa, California. So if anyone knows a reasonable FFL dealer who will do the transfer for the shear joy of handling a work of art/gun/Shiloh, let me know. Thanks again.

ss
kamotz

Post by kamotz »

Steve ,I had similar experience when I traded a rifle on Gunbroker .com. I went to one gunshop to inquire if I could have it shiped there, and the owner said no, it would be like cutting his own throat.I guess he didnt realize I would be needing very expensive ammo, hard to find scope mounts,cleaning equipment, a nice sling,and a gun case. All of which I instead purchased at the shop that complied. At least the first guys throat is still intact.
Once you shoot black, youll never go back
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Steve:

Does your dealer carry Shiloh Sharps Rifles? If not tell him if he had the product you wanted, you would buy from him, but since he doesn't is he willing to lose the sale of the shells, case etc. needed to shoot and maintain your rifle?

I know that this was touched on in an earlier post, but I would explain to him that if he wants to lose ALL your business, he should be reasonable in his transfer fees.

Also, $25 is good money considering what he has to do. What is it, 10 minutes work?

I bet he would be hard pressed to make $150 an hour, plus missed future business.

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
James M

Post by James M »

What is involved with gun registration paperwork?
Is it one form?
Would the dealer be hand delivering it to some office?
Or, is the paperwork mailed somewhere?
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

James M.,

Have ever bought any type of gun in Calif. before? Have you ever been in the military service? If no to both, you're going to have to take a safety course before buying a firearm, so better check into it. Also we have a filing fee and a dross fee and those are totaled more then $25.00 in Calif. I don't think a fee of $50.00 or $75.00 is unreasonabe.. The owner of the gun shop has to make phone calls to all partys concerned and is liable for any screw up's in the paper work. The gun shop owner also has to log the firearm into and out of inventory, which requires time.

Kelley O. 8)