Is .460 too much or Just how important is bullet dia.?

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

pete

Is .460 too much or Just how important is bullet dia.?

Post by pete »

I've got several good tips on making my rifle shoot better and I'm still working on it but one thing I was wondering about is bullet dia. I have two Lyman molds, a 457132 and a 457125 (I know the customs are better and when a design that this rifle likes emerges I might try one). The diameters on the 457132 range between .458 and .460 on the same bands. The 457125 is between .459 and .460 on the same bands and those aren't on the seam. So not only are these bullets large they are out of round. Also with a .456 expander isn't this a little too much tension.

I know it sounds elementary but just how detrimental is this condition to accuracy? I have a Lyman 457193 for hunting and it's pretty good / consistant so this is new to me.

Could a lubrisizer make a big difference in accuracy? Except for the Lee they're not cheap. Also with the Lee the dia. is .457 and that seems like a lot of sizing and might deform the bullet. That and I think Shiloh recommends .458.

P.S. I'm getting a pretty good amount of leading could this condition be the cause. Thanks.
RMulhern

bullet dia.

Post by RMulhern »

pete

<< I'm getting a pretty good amount of leading could this condition be the cause. >>

It could be....or the lead you're shooting as to possibly an incorrect ratio lead to tin.....or a lube problem....or too much fouling which COULD BE caused by....too weak of a load which has a tendency to foul like crazy! Or...not enough use of the blowtube or incorrect usage thereof!

Are ya shootin "store bought" bullets or some you're casting? Can't say for certain about everyone here but I think I'd be real close to being correct in saying that probably 99% of those on this forum are using a bullet diameter of 0.459. Bore diameter is .458 and personally I size all I cast to .459 and they shoot rather well! :lol: :roll: :lol:
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

Actualy Sharpsman,

Bore size is .450 and groove size is .458 those measurements depend on the barrel manufacture. Those measurement are for 45 cal.

Pete,

You'll get best results from groove diameter bullet. Run those bullets through a lube sizer, .458 or .459 would be good and then the bullets will be round to.

Kelley O. 8)
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks guys. Sharpsman I always forget the particulars. These are bullets I cast. They are cast from Midway certified 20-1 alloy and lube is SPG. These loads were 67 and 68 gr of Goex 2F in a 45-70, Lyman 457125, Win mag primers, .020 wad and Win brass. I used a compression die a drop tube and I used a blowtube blowing 6-7 breaths. The 68 gr grouped 6 shots into 7 inches and the 67 gr. went 14 inches, both at 200 meters.
There's some changes I am going to make in the future but these loads are the same as some I shot before with the 457132 bullet. I wanted to make a comparison between the 457125 and the 457132 with the same load procedure to make a direct comparison. This was in my Shiloh #3.
Thanks Kelly. I guess round bullets are better. :lol:
RMulhern

Bore dia.

Post by RMulhern »

Kelly O.

Yep! You're right....it's .450! 8 hours behind the stick today.....takes it's toll!! :( :( :cry:
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi Pete, Try making the bullets be .458", drop the mag primers, I would get some DGL lube, and make sure you don't have to much neck tension on the bullet, which will happen if you are using stock ball expanders. Also make sure the wad isn't staying with your bullet, not sure what your using here. Hope this might help.Thanks Kirk
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

Sharpsman,

At least you had fun with those eight hours. The joy stick is better then the key board.

If flying wasn't so expensive here I'd get current. Been thinking of getting current for the last 6 months or so. I'm a low time pilot, only have 530 hrs.. The only rating I have is single engine land and thats all I wanted. Was thinking at one time about an instrement rating, then I got a divorce and quit flying, spousel and child support is a killer.

Kelley O. 8)
RMulhern

Bore dia.

Post by RMulhern »

Kelly O.

Fun? It may have been 35 years ago! Now....it's "old hat"....and all work! In my opinion....instrument flying is fine....for those that use it on a regular basis...to stay totally proficient but for the normal joy rider......it's dangerous! It's kinda like shooting! A long layoff....can kill ya!! :cry:
Hidehunter

Post by Hidehunter »

Sharpsman - Here's a pop quiz for you.

Your airplane has something in common with the original Sharps Rifle Company. Do you know what it is?

Hint - it has to do with a major component, found toward the front of both the airplane and rifle.
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks Kirk, I'll get a lubrisizer. It looks like the Saeco gets good praise. I didn't think pushing a .460 bullet through a .458 bore would contribute to accuracy but wasn't sure just how much it would affect it.
Also I left the cases belled but with the tight chamber on this rifle I was told to close the bell. I'm gonna do a separate operation using the crimper on a second die. Not doing a crimp just taking the bell out. That'll be nice anyway since the bell was barely big enough to work and still chamber . Now I can bell a little bigger.
RMulhern

LR Shooting

Post by RMulhern »

Hidehunter

Beats me! Did Sharps make props?? :?: :?: But...I ain't seen a Sharps...with a prop lately!!
Hidehunter

Post by Hidehunter »

Sharpsman:

"Prop" is just a bit too far forward on the airplane. According to an article I read, the Sharps Rifle Company used "the finest Pratt & Whitney rifling machinery" to make their barrels. That's the grandaddy of the company that built the R-985 on your Grumman, isn't it?
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

The Sharpsman's new gun still has a little Pratt & Whitney in her only this time it's in the chamber!!!!
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

OutStanding Kirk!!!
Lee Stone
RMulhern

Post by RMulhern »

Hidehunter

I ran R-985's about 10 years, then changed to R-1340's which gave a lot less trouble....and now.....we've got a $275,000.00 turbine up front! They use NO OIL...and the TBO runs from 3000 -5500 hours depending on which engine we're running! The SEATS have $375,000.00 engines up front! We've got all of those in Nevada and Idaho at present.....fighting fires! REAL MEAN MACHINES! :lol: :roll: :lol: