.45-90 Loading Data

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Todd Birch

.45-90 Loading Data

Post by Todd Birch »

The current issue of "Handloader" magazine has an article on reloading for the .45-90 by Mike Venturino.

Smokeless as well as BP loads.

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Matthew_Q

Post by Matthew_Q »

Well, for black stuff, it's quite easy... I'd start at 80-85 grains of FFg and work up from there!

Not sure I'd even want to use that cartridge for any nitro powders.
Todd Birch

.45-90 loading data

Post by Todd Birch »

You might want to read it for some of the historical information.

Then again, maybe not.....

Todd
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
omgb

Post by omgb »

Your BP load sounds familiar...I get about 87 grains into my cases. For smokeless, 28 grains of AA5744 and a 530 grain Lyman Postel or a 500 grn LBT LFN work very well indeed. Low pressure, light recoil and about 1250 - 1325 fps from a 34" barrel.
rraffl

Post by rraffl »

Yes, AA5744 is very nice in a 45-90. 29.3 grains for a 400 grain jacketed Speer bullet. I feel like such a sissy. ;-)

Dick Raffl
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Shiloh 1874 Business Rifle
Todd Birch

XMP-5744 in .45-90

Post by Todd Birch »

You guys oughta get a copy of the current "Handloader" and read Venturino's article on the topic.

Very enlightening. Same issue has another artcle by Venturino on rifles with pitted bores and how they perform.

Todd
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

Are we talking the February issue.....would like to get ahold of it....

charlie
Todd Birch

.45-90 loads

Post by Todd Birch »

Montanasharps

Yes, I'm referring to the Feb. 2005 issue. That mag just got better with the addition of Venturino's column.

I kinda wonder how some are getting 85+grs of BP into a .45-90 case when all the data I have uses 73-78 grs. The old cases were balloon head and could eat all that powder.

I was surprised to read the loads recommended with XMP-5744 in such a large volume case, but apparently they work. The only smokeless loads I use are in my .45-70 Browning '86 and there I use 3031 and Varget. Both give good case volume.

Off topic, but over the weekend while I was playing with my .50-70, a local GOB told me he had a Sharps for sale - a Farmingdale .45-120! I asked him why it was for sale, and he asked me if I'd ever sat behind one.

'Nuff said.

Todd
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

omgb,

I am looking for an LFN design bullet for hunting, and I would like it to weight 500-540 gr. or so. I will be shooting it in a Shiloh .45/110 with Goex Fg powder. I currently have 3 LBT-LFN moulds for other rifles, and they are all excellent. Premium bullets to be sure; they all perform well on paper and live targets.

A few questions if I may. How do the bullets from your mould perform on paper? Do the lube grooves hold a lot of lube so that the bullets can be used with black powder or are they a narrow style groove more for use with smokeless powder? Is the bullet a bore-ride nose bullet or more like the Keith designs that LBT is known for?

Regards,

Ironramrod

CEO Subarctic chapter
Sodbuster division
FES
Jerry Williams

Post by Jerry Williams »

Ironramrod, You need a bullet that is designed for BPRC and made by a reputable mold maker. Contact Steve Brooks. He makes these bullets exactly to your specifications. Buying a bullet mold from him, you get it right the first time and the experiments are over. His hunting bullets shot very well. Good Luck.
Everything I know about BPRC I have forgotten at least three times, Now I write it down. Have you seen my note book?
omgb

Post by omgb »

Never had a Brooks mould but I've heard lots of good stuff about him. My LBT mould works OK with BP and shoots into 1.5 inches at 100 yards. If is the basic LFN Super-Keith style. Recently, I ordered a new mould from LBT that has deeper and wider grooves and is a bore-riding bullet with a Postel type ogive. Veral knows what BP shooters need and will make one to order at no additional cost. I like his work and am eager to get my new mould.
RMulhern

.45/90 Load Data

Post by RMulhern »

Personally I can think of nothing more sacrilegious than stuffing SP into a case designed for BLACK POWDER! Yeah...I went a two year route testing duplex loads against straight BLACK and I finally beat it into my head that the accuracy and readings through the chrono (when I used it) were much better with the straight Goex! I think those that wish to use SP are suffering from the nightmares of muzzle loader shooting using BLACK POWDER because of the difficulty of cleaning this mode of firearm where the breech plug must be pulled and the soapy water method! Well...a Sharps "ain't" a muzzle loader...THANK GOD...and cleaning isn't difficult due to it's design. In conclusion...I guess some...myself included...had/have to find out the hard way! :( :cry:
The Montanan

Re: .45-90 loads

Post by The Montanan »

Todd Birch wrote: I kinda wonder how some are getting 85+grs of BP into a .45-90 case when all the data I have uses 73-78 grs. The old cases were balloon head and could eat all that powder. Todd
Todd - I'm getting 88.0 gr of FFg Goex in my Starline cases no problem using a 24" drop tube. I would be interested in reading that data your refering to that calls for 73 - 78 grs charges.
The Montanan

"I don't care what a person shoots, as long as he shoots it well"
Todd Birch

.45-90 loads

Post by Todd Birch »

Check Venturino's "Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West" and the current issue of "Handloader" magazine.

Todd
KHR

Post by KHR »

I'm gonna get the Handloader issue, but what were MLV's contentions about pitted bores?
:-)
keith
Some originals and some Shilohs.
Molon Labe