First time reloading 45-110 could use some advice

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ShawnAgne

First time reloading 45-110 could use some advice

Post by ShawnAgne »

I've been shooting 45-70 and 50-70 in trapdoors for a couple of years and decided to get a Quigley Style Sharps in 45-110. Question I have is what powder do you recomend. I've seen Goex Fg mentioned along with FFg. Also should I enlarge the primer holes as Spencer Wolf suggests in his 45-70 book for the 45-110 also? If there are any other tips you can give it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

I think the general concensous between us 110 shooters on here is that Goex 1F is the way to go. Just remember that it performs the best when you compress the heck out of it (at least .300) or there abouts. I personally don't enlarge any of my primer pockets. Can't really think of anything else that's really different than you would load the 45-70 other than you better lay in a good supply of powder because you use it up fast in this cartridge.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
ShawnAgne

Thanks, question on BP or Pyrodex and Bullet sizing

Post by ShawnAgne »

The powder I've been using in my Trapdoors has been Pyrodex RS which is the FFg equivalent. With the 45-110 am I better off using the straight Fg BP, or does the Pyrodex Fg equivalent work also?

The bullet I'm going to be using is the Lyman 500gr #457125 mould what should I size it? With the Trapdoors I don't worry about this since the bores are generally oversized.
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Agreed on the Fg powder.

The rdnck & Kenny Wasserbuger are two very experienced, if not the most experienced & knowledgeable .45-2 7/8” Shooters on this board.

I would search the archives for their posts on this caliber & duplicate what they load & fine tune (’tweak’) the load components to achieve the desired results & level of accuracy.

As far bullet diameter, I would slug the bore to determine its diameter, then use a bullet of that diameter or .0001” or so over.

I would also make a chamber cast to determine the overall length of the chamber. No use in buying expensive brass & then trimming it back too short.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
KHR

Post by KHR »

shawn,
Some 45/110 observations:
• there are several ways to go with brass, the streached Buf Arms is a really good choice.
• 1f goex is the way to go, it is actually easier to clean than smokeless. Most folks load 103 - 108 grains, you will need to use a BP compression plug to compress the powder enough to seat your bullet. Powder compession is the amount needed to seat the bullet with grease grooves covered. Do not compress powder with the bullet.
• the lyman 457125 is an excellent choice. I have used it, presently i'm using a Paul Jones creedmoor. My bore is 458 so my bullets are 458 in size also, pan lube with spg.
• a .060 poly wad seems to be the way to go.
• you will eventually find that you will need to anneal the case necks.
• Standard win rifle primers work fine for me.
I shoot the PJ 540 45001 with 103gn 1f, and get 1.5 to 1.0 moa all day long. I shoot a bull barrel shiloh.
do some searches at this site, there is enough 45/110 info to make a small book.
:-)
keith
Some originals and some Shilohs.
Molon Labe
ShawnAgne

Post by ShawnAgne »

Keith,

Thanks for the reply.

I was reading all the 45-110 posts I could find, and saw where Ken W. was talking about annealing. How do you anneal your cases and what tools are necesary. Ken talked about using a drill to rotate the cases. Was just wondering what type of setup you use. Again thanks in advance.
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

ShawnAgne

Post by ShawnAgne »

Ray, thank you. Now in the article it's talking about bottleneck cases, how far down should a straight wall case be annealed?
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

On my straight walled cases, I've only annealed about one-quarter inch or so. I put the flame right on the case mouth.

I don't know if that is the right place or amount to heat, but it seems to work for me.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

ShawnAgne

Post by ShawnAgne »

How many firings do you go before you anneal typically? Also can I be a F.E.S. member also since I'll have a 45-110 this friday?
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Shawn,

I anneal about .600 inch at lest to get consistant neck tension. I also anneal after at lest 3 firings and for best match accuracy I use annealed brass for Long range matches. My match stuff gets annealed after each firing period. It is a Very MILD Anneal method and I air cool the brass no water quench. This method of brass prep and annealing has made some very good master class scores and placed at matches. I see no reason to not continue.

My favorite brass is Norma or Buffalo Arms streched stuff made from Starline 45-100 cases.

Fg powder your choice, Swiss or Goex are both excellent choices. I prefer Goex due to consitant results. Best results with GOEX are at the .380 mark on compression and a die is required for that.

WLR or CCI BR-2's best choices for primers. This has been verified at teh Chrono many many times. I uniform primer pockets and debur flash holes NO I don't drill em out.

Best bullets are Paul Jones Creedmoor or Steve Brook's Version of a Creedmoor. THe old Postell from Lyman is a good one also.

Matches are won with Paul Jones Bullets more then anyone else in my Opinion.

I have had excellent luck with NEI Postell, NEI Creedmoor and Paul Jones Creedmoor in my 45-110.

The 45-110 runs at higher chamber presures then most BPCR rounds dream of its a Hot Rod round period that when one pays close attention to loading -runout and details this sucker comes into its own real fast.

Filp side of the coin is if you dont want to pay that extra bit to detail with this cartridge it will bite you and hard. Results will be less then what you would like to see.

I got your email but thought I would answer you here on the forum.

Anymore questions please fire away but may want to check the forum most of this has been went over many many times here allready.

Kenny Wasserburger
Knight Commander FES
Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Lloyd

Post by Lloyd »

Has anyone tried the Goex cartridge powder? I am waiting on my 45-110.
Lloyd
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

Shawn, the master of the 45-110 has spoken. Most everything that I know about loading my 110's has been learned from Kenny and if he says it you can take it to the bank when it comes to this cartridge.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Llyod: 'bout 3 yrs ago I tried cartridge in my 13/14# Borchardt .45-2 7/8”.

Just had to try it despite advice from others to the contrary. As Ned Roberts said “the Fool never lets well enough alone”.

IIRC, the load was 100 or 105 grains & a 545 Paul Jones Creedmoor bullet w/ SPG.

No leading in the 34” barrel, but the load was down right uncomfortable to shoot. I didn’t have a chronograph, but a fellow Shooter claimed there was a very observable difference as to how quickly the bullet hit the berm compared to my .45-2.4”.

Cartridge, being a much finer granulation than Fg, developed higher pressure & recoil 'thumped' the shoulder quite well when it all went off. The heavy bullet didn’t help either. After 25-30 rounds, I was too tired to shoot anymore.

Since then, I’ve shot Fg w/ heavy bullets in other .45- 2 7/8s & that powder provides a much more manageable load.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

NRAUSMC
Location: Riverside, Southern California AND Reed Point, Montana

Post by NRAUSMC »

BuckeyeShooter wrote:Shawn, the master of the 45-110 has spoken. Most everything that I know about loading my 110's has been learned from Kenny and if he says it you can take it to the bank when it comes to this cartridge.
I couldn't agree more! Kenny helped me a tremendous amount and I am just a newbie to BPCRs and the .45-110.

See: viewtopic.php?t=4348 for more of my opinion regarding this subject.

Read, listen, learn, is what I believe.

Paul
Shooting my Shiloh Sharps Quigley is a kick to shoot!

The .45-110 will get there when the others fall short.

Member-in-training
LaLa Land Chapter
FES