Yukon Flats Alaska

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Old Doe Shooter

Yukon Flats Alaska

Post by Old Doe Shooter »

The guide said a kid (27) the previous week didnt shoot this one bear because it was "so big and so close" and he was a novice archery bear hunter..... he didnt think he would kill it clean and he shot a smaller one later in his hunt. We could not hunt our first night in camp due to regulations about flying and hunting the same day. That night a bait wasn't hit, it was smashed... by a BIG bear.
I sat that bait for 7 nights. Once I heard a bear in the bush. Once I heard him clicking his teeth. I was sure he knew I was there and I had evil in my heart. HE never showed me his furry black hide.
On the last night I warmed my barrel and got a 'nice blackie', one a little over 6'. Not that I really 'held out' but this was a good chance and when opportunity knocked I answered.
This is a GREAT adventure and a good hunt... bow, rifle or ml. Anyone wants info email me, the bear is posted in my Yahoo profile. Nope, I don't work for the guide.
Ain't cheap, ain't expensive as hunts go. about fairly square cosidering where you are. The sun doesn't set in June and you can hunt at 1 AM. You might need to as it's the darkest part of the day.
RR 11

Bear Hunt

Post by RR 11 »

Good Hunt. My Hartford starts production next week. I hope to have it in time to use it in Canada this fall on my black bear hunt.
Scott Tschirhart

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

My Sharps should be shipped in a couple of weeks, but we are already planning a trip to the Porcupine River near Fort Yukon Alaska. Black bear and moose may be on the adgenda.
Dang Long Shot

Post by Dang Long Shot »

Hey RR 11,

I have a Hartford 30" heavy barrel...you are going to love it my friend...a real classic sharps & a great shooter. What calibre & barrel length did you order?
Best of luck with her & good shooting! :D
Dang Long Shot

Speak Softly & Carry a Big Sharps. They will see the flash but they won't hear the bang.

Shiloh Hartford Model 30" Heavy 45-70
Shiloh Montana Rough Rider 34" Hvy 45-70 semi fancy wood, pewter tip
NRA, SASS
Florida Frontiersman
Dang Long Shot

Post by Dang Long Shot »

Hey RR 11,

I have a Hartford 30" heavy barrel...you are going to love it my friend...a real classic sharps & a great shooter. What calibre & barrel length did you order?
Best of luck with her & good shooting! :D
Dang Long Shot

Speak Softly & Carry a Big Sharps. They will see the flash but they won't hear the bang.

Shiloh Hartford Model 30" Heavy 45-70
Shiloh Montana Rough Rider 34" Hvy 45-70 semi fancy wood, pewter tip
NRA, SASS
Florida Frontiersman
RANGER RICK

Post by RANGER RICK »

Scott

You will be in trophy moose area on the porcupine river drainage for sure . I have a trip planned for the Koyukuk river not to far from the porcupine . We have about a 600 mile river trip to get to where we will be hunting moose .Looks to be about a three week adventure . My buddy is making his second trip this fall also in the same area . One moose that I seen that came from that area had a rack of 71 3/4 inch's . Not to shabby.
Good luck and watch out for the big brown critters , lot's of them there .

RR
Practice does not make perfect !! Perfect practice makes perfect !!!!!!
Scott Tschirhart

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Rick,

This will be my second trip up there. I am still amazed that something that big can move so quietly through the forest. I think one moose I saw up there stood a good 6 1/2 to 7 feet at the shoulder.

I have a cousin who lives outside of Palmer. I would move up there myself if my wife could take the cold and the dark winters.

Good luck on your hunt!

Scott
Just me and Big Nose Kate
RR 11

Post by RR 11 »

Scott, sorry I did not reply before now. Long bad spell at FD. The rifle is a Hartford 45-70 26"barrel. I started to get a 30" but hunting in the south Alabama swamp land I went with a shorter barrel. Have had the rifle for a few weeks now and I love it. My only complant is that in low light my old eyes do not do real well with the silver blade sight.