43 spanish

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Don Kenna

Post by Don Kenna »

David:

The only markings on my RCBS mould are "43--370--FN." Bear in mind that I bought the mould over ten years ago. It actually casts out at .440-inch diameter with 1:20 alloy, but I use a custom bored .442-inch SAECO lubrisizer die to lubricate it.

I have also used a Lyman 377-grain round nose bullet (#439186) that also casts to the same diameter, and works almost as well.

My bore is oversized, as most of them were, at .442-inch groove diameter. The black powder charge wallops the bullet sufficiently to expand it into the grooves, which deliveres prettly good accuracy. A bullet slightly over groove diameter might very well do better, and NEI or a custom mould maker might be able to accomodate that.

However, I never intended to use my old .43 Remington military rifle to win any matches, but just for fun and possibly hunting. For match competition, I can't offer a higher recommendation than a Shiloh Sharps.

Don Kenna
crazeyiven

Post by crazeyiven »

Steve-

Thanks for the response. I have sent you an e-mail with a pdf file of a hand made drawing of the case (not to scale!) with the numbers listed. Hope it helps clarify the measurements below:

The rim thickness is .089.

From the front of the rim to the shoulder turndown is 1.4715.

Overall chamber is about 2.524. This I am not sure about measurement. The cast includes part of the rifling. Appears to be a forcing cone in front of the rifling...I cannot tell exactly where the cone ends and the chamber starts.

The Head just ahead of the rim is .524....just before the bottle neck the case is .517 dia. The case neck just after the bottle neck is about .469.

The mouth of the case back to a bit before the bottle neck is about .466. The bore is .443.

My cases arrived today. I ordered 20 of the 2.25 and 50 of the basic. 20 to send and the balance just in case my dies arrive early.

In running numbers on the 2.25 case, the head just in front of the rim is .517. The cast is .524...is that a big difference?

If I have missed any key numbers, let me know.

Have you any friends or relations down along the coast of Texas? Looks like it's going to be bad there too. I have some relations in Brownsville. Been trying to call, but no answer. Probably busy! Who knows, they may knock on the door tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help.
David
crazeyiven

Post by crazeyiven »

Don-

Thanks for the info. I have both of the moulds you listed. Just thought I might have missed something on the RCBS site.

I do not have much in the rifle. Mainly just for fun. Do not mind spending a bit on accessories. Got to agree, with these sights match wins would for sure be far and few between....unless everyone had to use one...600 yds with these sights...what...master scores around 10?!

As you said, just for plinking. My brother and I shoot at 200 yards at a variety of metal targets. He has an original SA Sharps 50-70 rifle and an original 1868 trapdoor in 50-70. I've been using my 50-90 sharps. He says I am cheating. Thought this would put us back on an even footing!

Ditto on Shiloh!

Thanks
David
stevenjay1

Post by stevenjay1 »

Hi David, Thanks for the drawing. I checked some of my fired/unsized cases and found the measurements to be close with the exception of your measurement from the top of the rim to the start of the shoulder:

Here are the results:

Yours 2 9/16" Bell 2.25 " Bertum Brass

Top of Neck: .466 .460 .463
Base of Neck: .469 .465 .464
Shoulder: .517 .514 .515
Base: .524 .522 .520
Rim Thickness: .089 .081 .086
OAL: 2.524 2.563 2.250

This is where we differ: Distance from top of the rim to the beginning of the shoulder: 1.4715 1.500 1.508

The bore measurement of .443 is in the range or normal and a soft lead bullet of .439 will bump up to fill the bore. One of my .43 RRB s in .439 (lucky) and the other is .445.

The difference of .007" between the .517 and .524 at the base of the case is not an issue. .007" is about the thickness of two sheets of notebook paper. You may see a slight bulge at the base of the case. Sense I only neck size my cases the bulge area on my cases does not get worked so it has not been a weak point for me.

Let me know what length you would like me to trim the cases too. If you don't mind a little mailing back and forth we may start a little longer and then cut back.

Thanks about asking about my family and friends. I have family on both sides from Houston to Mississippi along the Gulf Coast. I spoke to my brother yesterday and everyone is heading north to Dallas. My aunt and two cousins lost their homes to Katrina and other family members are expecting the same from Rita. There is some humor to be found it all this as one of my cousins had to leave Galveston yesterday taking her important papers, medications, pets, some clothing, a few pictures and making her nephews pull her "Brand New" window air conditioner and take it with them. She said she couldn't live without it! So, cousin, stuff and the A/C are on there way to Waco. The people in that area need all the Prayer they can get. Steve
Just another homesick Texan that shouldn’t have left in the first place!
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club - 8/69 to 8/71
NRA Life Member
crazeyiven

Post by crazeyiven »

Steve-

Thanks for the reply. Sorry so long getting back. My brother & I have been trying to get her to move up here for the last 3 years. Flat refused. She called me the other day and decided she wants to do it. Been a mess.

How did your friends and family fair in the storm? You indicated they were from Houston to Mississippi. Wasn't that about the storm path? Most important, did the new A/C make?!

I agree with the long cut on the shells. Multiple mailing will be fine with me if you're ok with it.

Through hook & crook I was able to get the 20 pre-formed Buffalo Arms brass loaded. Shot it yesterday. It was a blast (no pun intended). I think this is going to be a cool cartridge!

Was thinking...would it be of any benefit if I included the cast or one of the fired ctgs?

In any case, (again, no pun intended) though I would try to get this all out tomorrow.

Hope all is well with friends & family.
David
stevenjay1

Post by stevenjay1 »

Hi David, Good to hear from you. The family survied Rita but the final toll from Katrina was three home distroyed. My Aunt and two cousins. My Aunt is 85, she will move in my six cousins. They are thinking of taking "Mom" in two month shifts. We'll see how that works. The two cousins are going to rebuild their homes. My Galveston cousin is still in Waco but she is ready to go home. I think her brother is ready for her to go home as well. (I hope they don't read this site.) All in all, everyone is alive and well, that is the most important thing.

It would be helpful if you could send the casting as that would give me a good place start. Steve
NRA Life Member
crazeyiven

Post by crazeyiven »

Steve-

Glad to hear everyone made it through and is alive and well. Had not thought about family reading this site...that could cause a hurricane in and of itself!

I did not get the brass out Friday. I will do it Monday. I will send the cast along too and return postage.

I was following your comments about the 44-77. If I recall, MLV indicated he used the same brass for both. Is there any accuracy differences between the two? I know sights and bore will make a difference, but, I believe you indicated one of your .43's had a 439 bore. I would think that would leave you just sights as a major variable.

Really enjoyed those 20 rounds. I hit an 8" square steel target at 100 yards with 14 of the 20 rounds (wind was too strong to attach my cardboard targets with tools at hand). My loading "methods" were basic (read primitive).

Brass was the Buffalo Arms 43. spnsh from reformed 348 brass (2.25). I did prep the primer pocket, both inside and out. Also preped the case mouth in and out. I flaired the case mouth with needle nose plyers. Used Federal mag primers, 75 gr 1f powder and a .030 veg wad. Used an oak dowel with an "uncompressed" line and a second "go to" line for compression. Hand greased the bullet with SPG and hand pressed the bullet in until I felt it press against the wad (really sore palm and fingers). Bullets were .4415 and 374 gr (lyman) with the bore at .443. Seated the bullets to the middle of the third grease groove.

This should be something else with correct length brass, dies, compression dies, etc.

If this is this much fun, a Sharps in 44-77 must be a blast!

Again, thanks for all your help.
David
crazeyiven

Post by crazeyiven »

Steve-

On its way. Sent you a pm.

Thanks
David
crazeyiven

Post by crazeyiven »

Steve-

Thanks
David
crazeyiven

Post by crazeyiven »

Steve-

Thanks
David
stevenjay1

Post by stevenjay1 »

David, I got the package today and send you info on trim length. Steve
NRA Life Member