43 spanish

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I think the 2f would work just fine, seems like I was loading about 68 grains in mine, cartridge and FF will work just fine. You might want to give Croft a call, he likes to talk, tell him Ken said hello. We use to shoot together, I would spot for his son and Croft would spot for me. Nice guy.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Crazy Ivan: w/ thanks to Treeblood, this is what I do:

Totally dismount the action from the stock & remove the breech block, etc.

Take some children's modeling clay & put it wherever I don't want the Cerrosafe to flow. Trust me, it will flow all over if you're not careful.

Thoroughly clean the chamber & throat area to remove all oil. I do this 2-3 times.

Then place a paper wad just slightly in front of the chamber & top include some of the rifling.

Take a very powerful hairdryer (or 2) & start to heat the chamber/receiver.

Next fire the double boiler to melt the Cerrosafe, which melts @ 'bout 180 degrees(??). I have a can, w/ the lid bent to form spout, that I pour directly from.

Once the receiver area is warm to the touch, make the pour. Once it is set up, I tap it out w/ a .50 BMG one piece cleaning tool.

I have the previously mentioned book 'bout the .43 Spanish:

"Shooting The 43 Spanish Rolling Block by Croft Barker"

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,3843.htm

Good reading & very informative.

My 1st .43 Spanish & it's successor were both Argentine Models & totally refurbished before stockpiled for reserve. Both are really pristine rifles.

I loaded w/ GOEX Cart. & the RCBS bullet. W/ a drop tube, case held darn close to 85 grns & when it went off, you knew it. Next time I'm going to try Fg & FFg.

Good luck .
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

CRAZ ! Slug the bore as there are 2 calibers for this RB one is a .454 the other .439 to .440 or there abouts ! I think that the cases are the same ! Don't buy the lyman mould for the 43 it doesn't hold enough lube for BP !JAGG
JAGG
stevenjay1

Post by stevenjay1 »

Hi, I'm the twice owner of the .43 Spanish Argentine Rolling block Ray Newman spoke about. Once I paid the ransom and the rifle returned to the rightful owner I was able to figure out the problem of the wayward bullets. I found two issues. The first was the crown; though it looked square but was about 10 thousands off. Not a lot but enough to make a difference. The second issue was the chamber. It was cut well but had a long neck so there was quite a jump for the bullet once it left the case and before it entered the rifling. I suspect the long neck was to assist with fouling or paper patch bullets. I did a chamber cast and found that the extended neck was straight so I was able to take some old Bell .43 Basic brass and size it with an extended neck. I then trimmed the cases to 2 9/16"s which took up the extra space in the chamber. With the new crown I'm able to get 2" to 2.5" groups with lousy sights using a 370 grain bullets and the new case with the longer neck will hold 90 grains of Cartridge Grade Goex. The longer neck is easier to load and I don't have to worry about the wad falling below the neck into the shoulder. Anyway, with a little work I think the .43 Spanish will shoot well. BTW, Ray, you can't have it back! LOL Steve
Just another homesick Texan that shouldn’t have left in the first place!
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club - 8/69 to 8/71
NRA Life Member
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

"Paid the ransom"?

Huh?

"Ransom?"

I graciously sold it back to you for what I paid YOU for it!

Of course, I now realize that you probably over charged me to begin w/ !

& if I recall correctly, you got a friction burn on your hand pulling out your wallet to pay me....
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
stevenjay1

Post by stevenjay1 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
NRA Life Member
crazeyiven

Post by crazeyiven »

Ray & Steve-

Well, guys, makes me feel good that a 43 spanish remington rolling block is good enough to "fight" over!

I'm going to pick mine up tonight. Will check the chamber & bore and see what I need to do!

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

David
David
crazeyiven

Post by crazeyiven »

Ken & Jagg-

Thanks for your help. While looking though the list of books, it looks like he has a couple more I need to order!

I'm picking up the rifle tonight. Going to try to slug the barrel this weekend. Have ordered some casting material.

Will post some more when I know more about what exactly I have!

Thanks again to you all and everyone else.

David
David
stevenjay1

Post by stevenjay1 »

crazeyiven, just a follow up note in reference to JAGG's comments. Depending on humidity I have run in problems with leading due to dry conditions and not enough lube with the RCBS 370 grain bullet. I corrected this with a 1/8" lube cookie between the bullet and powder. Also, there are two different Spanish rounds. The one we are discussing currently is the 11.15x58R (43) Spanish Remington. The other was an earlier round, the 11.5x57R Spanish Reformado. The Reformado is a straight case and even though the base, rim and lengths are close they are not interchangeable. Steve
NRA Life Member
crazeyiven

Post by crazeyiven »

Steve-

Thanks for the extra notation.

Picked the gun up today. I had really forgotten how nice it is.

I would guess it is in nra excellent condition. The bore & chamber are pristine. The blue on the barrel, hammer, breach block, butt plate and other furniture is very nice. The spring on the rear sight is exceptionally blue. In fact, there was a cosmline looking substance under it. The butt plate has almost no scratches or any rust. The case harding on the receiver is is excellent.

The wood is excellent too. The sides of the fore stock are sharp and not rounded. There are a couple dings but very minor. The butt stock is in matching condition.

Not much in the way of markings. On the top of the butt stock, near the top butt plate screw is a very clear "R" stamped. There are three bands (held with screws). The back band had something stamped under it, but could not make it out...could not find my glasses. The barrel band screws have a round ball at the end of the screw that appear to be a sort of lock washer. There were no markings on the bottom of the barrel. The barrel was a uniform blue color, top and under stock matching. The barrel does have a bayonet lug. The crown looks perfect.

The rear sight has no windage adjustment. The rear sight sort of puts me in mind of a Model 94 Swedish carbine rear sight.

Slugged the bore. Depending on how I measured, it came up .439 or .442. I have a digital caliper. 180 deg from a land is a groove. If I measured from across the groove on one side and the top of the land on the other side I got .439. If I twised the slug a few degrees from here, it would top out at .442.

I have not yet received my chamber casting material. Will see how that comes out.

You mentioned that you used .43 spanish basic, sized then trimmed. Did you use a standard resizing die or something else?

Again, thanks for all your time and help.

David
David
stevenjay1

Post by stevenjay1 »

David, That sounds like a really nice Rolling Block, I would love to see a picture of it. As for the Bell Brass: I use Imperial Sizing Wax for reforming cases. I run the case though my RCBS .43 Spanish Trim die and cut to length (2 9/16"). This is all I had to do for my Model 1879 Argentina Rolling Blocks. The trim die sizes the neck of the case sufficiently that I have used my RCBS .43 Spanish seat die to seat the bullet. This works for the two .43 Spanish rifles I have but I'm not sure if it would be successful in other rifles. Steve
NRA Life Member
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Crazyiven,

In spite of what some others have said, I've had good experience with 2 .43's. If the bores look pristine and fit the bullet, (mine were .440 and .441), they will shoot great! Start with basic brass with an .085-.089 rim thickness from BA, and trim it to the length indicated by the chamber cast (mine were ~2.570"), and seat the bullet just clear of the rifling (with the Lyman bullet, mine were ~3.24" OA), and they may very well shoot 2-3 MOA.

Clarence
crazeyiven

Post by crazeyiven »

Steve-

Thanks for the additional information. I've reloaded for a lot of ctgs, but I have never ventured into reforming.

I have held off ordering brass, mould or dies until I knew about the chamber and the bore. If I understand right, you have the RCBS 3 die set and a RCBS trim die? Using Bell 43 basic brass. Run the brass through the trim die to cut to length & also to size the neck. Use the seating die to seat the bullet?

I'll get a few picts in the next day or two and post them.

Thanks again for your help.

David
David
crazeyiven

Post by crazeyiven »

Clarence-

Thanks for your response.

Question. Where do you measure your barrel slugs from. I am using a digital caliper. The slug has 5 lands and grooves. With the caliper on the top of 1 groove, and across two grooves on the opposite side I get .439.

From there, if I twist the slug just a bit, the high reading is .4415, say .442.

Also, I think you said you were using the Lyman mould. What size bullet does it produce and with what alloy?

Thanks again for your time.

David
David
stevenjay1

Post by stevenjay1 »

I have held off ordering brass, mould or dies until I knew about the chamber and the bore. If I understand right, you have the RCBS 3 die set and a RCBS trim die? Using Bell 43 basic brass. Run the brass through the trim die to cut to length & also to size the neck. Use the seating die to seat the bullet?

David, the above is correct except I’m not sure if .43 basic brass is still available. I bought mine years ago from Midway USA when it was on closeout. The additional neck length will stick out of the top of the trim die. I have to adjust the trim die twice. The first time the die is set with the base of the die near the top of the shell holder in order to form the shoulder at the correct position. I then readjust the trim die 5/16 inch higher so I can trim the neck at the correct length. I also use the trim die to F/L resize the cases. The trim die doesn't resize the cases as much as the RCBS sizing die does but it does allow the cases to chamber in both rifles. Again, this works for my rifles but I'm not sure it would hold true for your rifle. Before you spend the money on dies I would do a chamber cast. Also, the Lee dies may work as well as the RCBS and they are whole lot cheaper. However, the trim die will have to be either RCBS or 4D. Steve
NRA Life Member