Rdnck is a serious deer killer!

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Scott Tschirhart

Rdnck is a serious deer killer!

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

That paper patch bullet out of the .45-110 laid a good buck down as if poleaxed! The shot was not an easy one either, about 130yds and fading light in grass that is very much the same color as our deer.

We killed a couple of nice ones this weekend and even took photos with our Sharps and the White Buffalo statue on the Scurry County Courthouse square.

I'll see about getting some photos posted over the next couple of days. A good time was had by all!
Just me and Big Nose Kate
Mark Hargrove

Redneck's hunt pictures (1)

Post by Mark Hargrove »

Mark Hargrove

Two buffalo hunters, indeed (picture 2)

Post by Mark Hargrove »

Bill Bagwell and Scott Tschirhart are two fine amigos and I was proud to have them on the ranch!
Scott Tschirhart

Thanks Mark, why don't you post yours also?
Mark Hargrove

Hunt picture (last picture)

Post by Mark Hargrove »

I'm not a Sharps shooter ... that might be resolved soon ... but I am a fan of the 45-70.

Scott Tschirhart

But you did hammer that Skunk with Rdnk's .45-70, would not take much to bring you over to the dark side;-)
Mark Hargrove

ha!

Post by Mark Hargrove »

If I hadn't been heading back home that evening, I might have just jabbed my Bagwell bowie in that skunk :)

Vile, disgusting creatures.
Scott Tschirhart

Thanks for the weekend Mark, you are an excellent host and we appreeciate it.

That Bagwell knife will come in handy when we are in Alaska next year.
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Scott, et.al,

Looks like a successful and fun weekend to me! Congratulations! Can't beat having a premium quality deer, etc., for quality memories and eating. Even better when it is taken with a black powder rifle. Enjoy!

Regards
rdnck

It just doesn't get any better--

Post by rdnck »

Guys--I have just got in from an 8 hour drive from Snyder, Texas. I really don't know where to start, so much happened in such a short time.

Up front, I want to say I have never been afield with two finer gentlemen than Mark Hargrove and Scott Tschirhart. Both men are quiet, soft spoken and deadly rifle shots. I heard Mark shoot when he took that really great buck, and he put two shots in the right place out of that lever Marlin so quick that I honestly thought that someone had been bird hunting with a side by side double. That is the finest rack on a deer that I have ever personally seen taken in the wild.

We stayed in the ranch house of a 1000 acre ranch that has been under the continous ownership of the same family for over 100 years. Not a lot of places can make that claim, and those that do are recognized by the State of Texas. The certificate of recognition is framed and hangs in the living room. You know you are in a special place when you see that when you are carrying your gear to your quarters.

We saw a lot of deer. Mark had seen the deer he took once earlier in the year when he and his wife were sightseeing. He had not seen the deer since, but with a license in his pocket and a rifle in his hand, he took advantage of the opportunity when it presented itself.

Scott Tschirhart is a very disciplined hunter. He did not fire a shot, as he was hunting for a particular 10 point that he had seen earlier in the year. This is a one buck county, and Scott passed on three bucks that were at least as good as the one I took. His season is not over.

I passed on another, different 8 point on Saturday morning, preferring to wait. As I was sitting in a tripod that faced due east, I was shooting directly into the sun, and decided to not try that deer under those circumstances. I was set up on a field of about 80 or so acres with about 20 of it planted in winter wheat. About 5 o'clock the does started to show up, and I counted 14 on the wheat field at one time. I was beginning to think that I might not get a shot that evening, as the light was fading fast. One of the old does spotted the buck before I did, about 200 yards to my left, coming through the native grass. I keyed on her and put the binoculars on him, and made the decision to try to get a shot. I waited until he was a lasered 127 yards out and got the 15 pound Shiloh up and on him, cocked the hammer and set the trigger. The light was not good, but it was directly behind me, and I could make out most of the deer's body above the grass. That copper penny gave me the contrast I needed, and I made sure I was on him and touched the set trigger.

I saw the deer collapse and heard the whack of the bullet strike, then heard the bullet whine as it passed completely through the buck and into space. That 45-110 shooting the 510 grain paper patched bullet and 108 grains of Goex 1f anchored the deer on the spot. I have frankly never seen one go down that fast. It broke the spine, ruined the tenderloins, damaged one backstrap, and got the back of the lungs. This load out of this rifle is the Real Deal, giving the same kind of performance last year on a buffalo in Montana.

I climbed down and walked over to the deer. It was pitch black dark within 5 minutes after I reached the deer, and about 20 minutes later Mark found me by the lights of his pickup. Scott came up on foot about 5 minutes later. We took pictures by the light of the truck headlights, field dressed and tagged the deer, and called the taxidermist for the second time in 10 hours. He met us at his studio in Snyder.

When we were dropping off Mark's deer earlier in the day, we went by the courthouse square for pictures with our Sharps at the White Buffalo statue. You don't get to do that every day. When we got back to the ranch, Scott and I talked Mark into trying My Shiloh Number 3 Sporter in 45-70. After two shots to acquaint himself with the sights and the rifle, he proceeded to hammer a 10 inch gong at 85 yards. With that, he decided to take me up on my offer to let him use the rifle that evening. After sitting with it for about three hours, the Shiloh made an impression. He wants one. I think he likes it.

A great weekend, a great hunt, meeting up with an old friend, and making a new one. In my long hunting career, this is definitely one of the highlights. It will be hard to top it.

Thanks, guys. Shoot straight, rdnck
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
Scott Tschirhart

rdnck,

Hard to believe that we now go back 20 years! It was as if we had never lost track of each other. You are welcome at my campfire any time.

How many places can you take a couple of rifles out of the truck and pose by a courthouse statue?
Mark Hargrove

Post by Mark Hargrove »

Bill, it was a great weekend and I enjoyed your company very much. I will probably spend some time this weekend on another ranch after mule deer ... not sure when that season close though. We ought to get together in early spring for hogs.

Send me an e-mail (mark@hargrovelaw.com) so I'll have yours.

Mark
Conan_568

Post by Conan_568 »

Way to go guys, it sounds like you had a great time.
Thank you for sharing your hunting story, and pics.
I like guns, knives and having a job.
That's why I vote conservative.
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

Conan--We're glad to have something to share. It was a really great weekend and hunt. Not only did we have the rifles and loads of the old timers, we were able to hunt over and look at the same landscape as the original buffalo runners. We saw the same sunrise and sunset as Billy Dixon, the Cator brothers and J. Wright Mooar. In fact, the deer were killed less than 20 miles south where Mooar took the white buffalo. I knew that the 45-110 was good to go, and I felt that this particular rifle was something special, but this rifle set up and cartridge combination are far and away the most effective and efficient I have ever seen. Three days later I am still relishing it in my mind. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

Rdnck: on your signature, you have "Charter Member FBASS".

What is "FBASS"?
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....