Smokeless Powder in a 45-120

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Troll

Post by Troll »

The concussion headache from shooting that round with smokeless would be down right nasty. No thank you. P T Barnum said it best, "There is an idiot born every minute.....".
-Finese is choosing the right size hammer
Conan_568

Post by Conan_568 »

A 45-120 holds more powder and fires a heavier bullet than what did this to my buddy, a 375" H&H mag.

I like guns, knives and having a job.
That's why I vote conservative.
don marable

Post by don marable »

Wavery:

I am 67 years old and have reloading white powder over the past four decades. I didn't get into the black powder game until two years ago because I thought the clean-up was too difficult. It may be with front stuffers, but these Sharps are easy to clean. When I finish shooting at the range I blow down the breach about four times, blow down the muzzle about four times, run a dry patch, run a water wet patch, run three more water wet patches, run a dry patch, run a patch with four drops of Break Free from the breech to the muzzle and back and put that puppy up. Before shooting the next session I run one fairly tight dry patch twice to get the oil out of the barrel. It will clean at least twice as fast, and much easier than the white powder guns. No bore brushes or stinky solvents required.

Additionally, if you shoot a couple of thousand rounds of white powder and jacketed bullets your barrel will begin to lose its best accuracy. There are good shooters on this forum that shoot more than that each year in thier rifles. Someone posted last year that he had shot 14,000 rounds through his 45-110 and thought that a new barrel might improve the accuracy. Might improve!

Hey, you are a gun owner and as such a champion of the shooting sports so we are going to like you regardless of what you shoot.

Have a nice day,

Don
RMulhern

Post by RMulhern »

[quote="Conan_568"]A 45-120 holds more powder and fires a heavier bullet than what did this to my buddy, a 375" H&H mag.

[img]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/C ... /Ouch1.jpg[/img][/quote]

Conan_568

It would have HELPED....if he'd gotten the buttplate into HIS SHOULDER....instead of out on the bicep!! :cry: :cry:
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

I don't know why a man wants to shoot a 375HH off his bicips {Spelling } , but that ain't the way tp shoot in the first place ! A 460 weatherby mag may hold more powder then a 45/120 and it shoots just fine ! Of course i never shot one ,but i know one of you guys will be at a range and you will be asked to try it out ! :lol: JAGG
JAGG
Bumper

Post by Bumper »

:arrow: A friend is experimenting with the new Trail Boss powder in his 45-70. He is getting 1 1/2" groups at 100yds using 14gr. His primers are rounded indicating low pressure. I use Trail Boss in my 45LC Yellowboy & Bisley Rugers, 5.8gr behind 200gr LRNFP bullets and am very pleased with the accuracy ( and ability to spot double charges instantly). The powder is quite bulky for its weight and meters extremely well in my Dillon 550. In a large case like yours using a bit of Puffalon to keep the powder in place and gradually experimenting with powder quantity should result in a low pressure smokeless load with performance similar to your BP loads. Case extraction after firing should be normal (not hard or sticky) and watch for over pressure signs by miking your cases after firing, checking the primer (flattened, excessive flow around primer crater, etc). Rbump
Kevan P.

Post by Kevan P. »

Wow !...that's an ugly bruise !
My 45-120 Shiloh is mild to shoot...even with full-power loads, a 550 or 600 gr. bullet and 120 gr. FG , actually no harsher than my BPCR Browning 45-70 cause the Shiloh is at least 4 lbs. heavier.
The last time I got bruises like that from a gun was when my ex wife was holding it by the barrel and beating me with it !!
( Just kidding )

Cheers
Conan_568

Post by Conan_568 »

Yeah, I don't know how he managed to get that bruise out on his arm, but I sure had a good chuckle when I saw it.
Then again, if you knew this guy, you'd know that anything is possible.
I like guns, knives and having a job.
That's why I vote conservative.
Xwingnut

XMP5744 or 8700, Better yet-Black

Post by Xwingnut »

Both are slow and made for big cases. I would use lead gas check bullets.
Better yet, use black powder and 20-1 or 30-1 alloy.

I have read a few questions on this sight comparing the Ruger No. 1 and Shiloh's actions and comapritive strength's, I don''t think that is an issue, but more the issue of twist rate.

A good rule of thumb, Copper Jacket in the Ruger and lead in the Shiloh.

Power is not an issue either, remember the original Buffalo hunters did one shot kills all day long on BIG buffalo.

Have fun, I would to hear what you settle on and the results.
The only reason I carry a 45 is the don't make a 46.