Blade front Buckhorn rear.

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

G. Duerr

Blade front Buckhorn rear.

Post by G. Duerr »

I have yet to shoot my new Hartford 45-90. I noticed that most pictures of hunters are using the globe front and tang rear. I have not read where hunters are using the old buckhorn sights. I used them for years on my 54 Muzzleloader out to 100 yds and thought nothing of it.

So why do so many one you guys use the target sights?and are they easy to see through when your hunting?
D. Cash

Post by D. Cash »

For me, the aperture sight requires good daylight and contrast or else a very big hole. The blade and notch of barrel sights is also difficult to use with my old eyes but is more reliable in my case. I am working on a set of express sights for my Sharps to use next season.
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

In low light the barrel sights work best for me. I tried mt target sights and in the shadows they didn't work to well.
Old Doe Shooter

Post by Old Doe Shooter »

G. D.
It's all what works for you. I like the tang sights and use a blaze orange blade front. My old tri-focal eyes couldn't hit the barn from inside with a buckhorn but the tang lets me do real fine. Depending on the animal I might go as far as 200 and feel confident. I've killed with one shot over 150 yards out. Confidence is as important as the sight you use. If you shoot a buckhorn and like it then use it. Low light tell you when it's time for sundowners.
ODS
flatwater

Post by flatwater »

GD
I have the buckhorn rear, blade front on my 40-65 and simply cant shoot well with it. The tang sight with globe front (on my other two Shiloh's) is simply the best non-telescopic sight I have ever seen. In order to use it at my age, I had to have a large aperature in the rear (.23), but I can still shoot pretty good groups with it. I was worried that the tang site would be too delicate for hunting, but it seems to be tough enough. If you're over 45 years old, consider getting the rear site closer to your eye. A tang sight is one way to do that...............Flatwater Bill
Good Shooting
NRA Life Member
NRA Endowment
VFW, DAV Life
Dang Long Shot

Hunting Sights

Post by Dang Long Shot »

Old doe shooter is right on the money. Vernier sites are best for accuracy, however at pre-dawn & near dusk can be difficult. Thats why I always use a "Hadley" eye cup with mutiple apperatures, so that I can open her up when light is waining. They are alot more accurate & better for aging eyes as well. They are sturdy enough but do get in the way at times while stalking...OK if on a still hunt.

Now that being said my new hunting rifle will be sporting semi-buckhorns for the main battle site out to about 150 yards. I may add a smaller staff flip down vernier set to say 200 yards for a long shot. I will be able to use either with the semi-buckhorns...the full buckhorns get in the way at closer distances.

PS I am sitting on pins & needles here...my second Shiloh is due to arrive tomarrow afternoon. Its a Montana Rough Rider 45-70 34" heavy barrel, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, shotgun steel butt, brass escussions & semi-buckhorn sights. This is going to be my hunting gun. I know its heavy but if I later decside to have her reamed out to 45-110, I'll appreciate the weight.

Denis
Dang Long Shot

Speak Softly & Carry a Big Sharps. They will see the flash but they won't hear the bang.

Shiloh Hartford Model 30" Heavy 45-70
Shiloh Montana Rough Rider 34" Hvy 45-70 semi fancy wood, pewter tip
NRA, SASS
Florida Frontiersman